Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's this dripping pipe?

I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house
that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is.

There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is,
and the boiler isn't a condensing model anyway.

Here's a photo:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...pse59f37f0.jpg

Any idea what it is?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:

I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house
that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is.
There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is,
and the boiler isn't a condensing model anyway.

Here's a photo:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...pse59f37f0.jpg

Any idea what it is?

A pipe! A photo of the other side of the wall might be more useful ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:

I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house
that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is.

There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is,
and the boiler isn't a condensing model anyway.

Here's a photo:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...pse59f37f0.jpg

What IS on the other side of the wall?

Is this the lowest point in your central heating system perhaps, the outflow
for anyone draining the system?

Maybe it's for draining some other set of pipes?

Presumably a pipe so low isn't the overflow for any water tanks you might
have in the attic (if you have an attic) but you'll know what pipes are
where better than I do.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 May 2014 15:06:27 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
Any idea what it is?

A pipe! A photo of the other side of the wall might be more useful ...

I've measured it up, and it looks like it's just above the level of
the ground floor and behind some kitchen units where there's a gas
hob.

There's nothing obvious that it would be linked to, and I'll need to
get behind the kitchen units to work out what it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
Any idea what it is?

A pipe! A photo of the other side of the wall might be more useful ...

I've measured it up, and it looks like it's just above the level of
the ground floor and behind some kitchen units where there's a gas
hob.

There's nothing obvious that it would be linked to, and I'll need to
get behind the kitchen units to work out what it is.

that is a pressure relief pipe.

Notice how it folds back onto the wall.... this is a safety measure so
that people dont get direct jets of hot scalding water onto them

Basically you either have a pressurised heating system or a mains
pressure hot water system.

Your pressure relief valve has either opened due to an overpressure
condition or it itself has failed, causing a slow leak.

Eventually you will lose either heating or hot water at some point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
Any idea what it is?

A pipe! A photo of the other side of the wall might be more useful ...

I've measured it up, and it looks like it's just above the level of
the ground floor and behind some kitchen units where there's a gas
hob.

There's nothing obvious that it would be linked to, and I'll need to
get behind the kitchen units to work out what it is.

that is a pressure relief pipe.

Notice how it folds back onto the wall.... this is a safety measure so
that people dont get direct jets of hot scalding water onto them

Basically you either have a pressurised heating system or a mains
pressure hot water system.

Your pressure relief valve has either opened due to an overpressure
condition or it itself has failed, causing a slow leak.

Eventually you will lose either heating or hot water at some point.

Yes, that's it! I've found a dripping tundish in the upstairs airing
cupboard with the hot water cylinder in it. That must somehow route
down inside the wall and out to that dripping pipe.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2014 15:01, Caecilius wrote:
I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house
that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is.

There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is,
and the boiler isn't a condensing model anyway.

Here's a photo:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...pse59f37f0.jpg

Any idea what it is?

Probably not now used. Been replaced by a vegetable oil pipe. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in my old house there is a small bore pipe connected to the hot water
cylinder that goes up into the loft and joins the very long overflow pipe
from the cold water tank, and sometimes people have seen the odd drip out
when there is nothing wrong with the cold water tank ballcock and valve, so
I always assumed it was condensation from hot water in the cylinder pipe
condensing in the overflow and trickling out of the end.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Caecilius" wrote in message
I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house
that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is.

There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is,
and the boiler isn't a condensing model anyway.

Here's a photo:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...pse59f37f0.jpg

Any idea what it is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
[...]

Depending on the type of cylinder you may just need to replenish the air
bubble in it.

Make and model would help

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well in my old house there is a small bore pipe connected to the hot water
cylinder that goes up into the loft and joins the very long overflow pipe
from the cold water tank, and sometimes people have seen the odd drip out
when there is nothing wrong with the cold water tank ballcock and valve, so
I always assumed it was condensation from hot water in the cylinder pipe
condensing in the overflow and trickling out of the end.

Brian

If it is some sort of mains pressure heater the pressure relief valve
sometimes opens on the heating cycle if the water boils and increases
the pressure

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 May 2014 10:59:30 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:
Depending on the type of cylinder you may just need to replenish the air
bubble in it.

Make and model would help

I've found the problem now, thanks.

It's a weeping 8-bar pressure-relief valve on the cold-water inlet of
a magaflow hot water cylinder. The PRV must be faulty, as my water
pressure is only about 3-bar, and this PRV is downstream of a 3-bar
pressure reducing valve.

Boiler dripping from pressure relief pipe Martin Pentreath UK diy 5 October 17th 10 12:32 PM
Dripping gutter down pipe - use string! Les Desser UK diy 15 May 4th 08 01:11 PM
Dripping Overflow Pipe JulesH UK diy 18 May 3rd 06 10:25 AM
Overflow pipe dripping [email protected] UK diy 22 April 26th 06 08:36 AM
Dripping tap Bob UK diy 4 February 20th 06 12:07 PM