Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New bathroom lights? But what?

Old shabby but working 3 x 12v mr16 downlighters installed in bathroom.

Time for change.

Have found & have stock of some good led gu10 lamps for other fittings in house so was going to go the "gu10 shower rated downlighters into existing ceiling holes" route....

Any better ideas?

Cheers

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2014 21:08, JimK wrote:
Old shabby but working 3 x 12v mr16 downlighters installed in bathroom.

Time for change.

Have found & have stock of some good led gu10 lamps for other fittings in house so was going to go the "gu10 shower rated downlighters into existing ceiling holes" route....

Any better ideas?

Cheers

Jim K

Can't see a problem. We've got IP65 GU10 fittings in the bathroom with
LED lamps, no complaints from anyone.

--
Dazza
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 April 2014 21:16:04 UTC+1, gremlin_95 wrote:
On 29/04/2014 21:08, JimK wrote:

Old shabby but working 3 x 12v mr16 downlighters installed in bathroom.

Time for change.

Have found & have stock of some good led gu10 lamps for other fittings in house so was going to go the "gu10 shower rated downlighters into existing ceiling holes" route....

Any better ideas?

Cheers

Jim K

Can't see a problem. We've got IP65 GU10 fittings in the bathroom with

LED lamps, no complaints from anyone.

--

Dazza

I would avoid GU10 LED's - technically they really do not make sense as the bulb housing has to contain electronic bits so drop the mains voltage down something like 12v (assuming a number of LED elements in series), so you not only have the heat from the LED elements but also that from the voltage dropping arrangement to reduce the life of the whole bulb.

The LED's on their own will have a long lifespan, but the voltage dropping components will not have. LED lighting is tending to collect a bad name for high price and short life and this is because users are expecting the bulbs to be one for one replacement with 240v incandescents/halogen, which in general terms is asking too much of technology.

A little more work to reorganise the wiring and replace the holders but go for MR16 type LED bulbs and a related 12v transformer module that is not space constrained for size and design, and will live a cool environment. Look also for COB bulbs as they have a far better light spread.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote in
:

On 29/04/2014 21:08, JimK wrote:

[...]

Look up Halers H2. The electronics are in a separate module. They have a
7 year warranty. I have them in my kitchen and they are superb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Look up Halers H2. The electronics are in a separate module. They have a
7 year warranty. I have them in my kitchen and they are superb.

http://shop.excelledlighting.co.uk/H...ight-IP65-85W-
60deg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Apr 2014, JimK grunted:

Old shabby but working 3 x 12v mr16 downlighters installed in
bathroom.

Time for change.

Have found & have stock of some good led gu10 lamps for other fittings
in house so was going to go the "gu10 shower rated downlighters into
existing ceiling holes" route....

Any better ideas?

Just an FYI, having done the same thing myself recently: you'll probably
find that the old ceiling holes are significantly larger than required
by modern fittings: I was unable to find any at all that would fit.

Not an insurmountable problem, but a different ball-game to just simply
swapping in new fittings. I ended up making plasterboard discs to fill
the holes, which were also patched/glued from above using squares of
plasterboard, and then polyfilla-ing over the discs before drilling new
holes.

--
David

Bathroom Lights Out ! khun Home Repair 2 January 5th 12 09:26 PM
Bathroom lights off Stormin Mormon Home Repair 33 July 26th 11 07:50 PM
Bathroom lights going off and on again BlueJohn UK diy 1 February 14th 08 11:14 AM
Bathroom Lights rob Home Repair 2 July 31st 05 01:46 AM