Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drill bits

I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Martin Bonner writes
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but
before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of
"you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just
marketting?

I'm sure that others, much more qualified than me, will be along shortly
to give you more accurate advice, but. I use SDS day in day out at work
and tend to buy mainly Wickes own brand, not very often either. They
seem as good as anyone's. I've certainly bought a few very cheap ones
when caught short and had little success with them, in fact the DeWalt
branded ones that came with one of the drills didn't last very long at
all.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but
before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of
"you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just
marketting?

It's one of those rare things where I've not found much difference.
Nothing like the difference in other sorts of drill bits. I suppose it's
because they have to be made to a given strength to work at all. Lidl etc
ones have been fine here - but since you'll want them now I'd just get
Toolstation's cheapest.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:

I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay),
but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one
bit.

Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the
years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they
were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from
Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference
between them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 17:32, Martin Bonner wrote:
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

I agree with others - not a lot of difference. I did buy a box set of
Makita long bits (through wall length) and happy that I did - not
expensive at the time I bought them. Otherwise I have a variety of cheap
bits that have accumulated over the years from various sources. As a
very limited user, my experience has been that they are uniformly at
least adequate if not "good" or "excellent".

If buying a chisel but then it might be worth getting one made of decent
material.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

Really cheap ones (like them off the market) are dangerous because the
tip can break, then the thing snags and breaks your wrist if you aren't
careful.

The Black and Decker factory shops often have real bargains in SDS bits.

Don't forget that with SDS hammer you don't push; just let the drill
find its way through the masonry.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 17:32, Martin Bonner wrote:
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

All the bit I've used on a regular basis have been purchased cheaply and
they seem to have lasted well.

Don't forget your tube of high temperature grease to store with the
drill - grease the bit if the drill that goes in the chuck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner submitted this idea :
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but
before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you
get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

I've used the best and the worst - never really found much difference
in action or longevity, nor even had one needing replacement.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:

Don't forget your tube of high temperature grease to store with the
drill - grease the bit if the drill that goes in the chuck.

I do give mine a squirt of grease (nothing fancy, I think it was bike
grease that came with a nice fine-nozzled gun) recently bought an SDS
scutch chisel (not used in anger yet) they recommend greasing it
generously as it can reach 200°C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns submitted this idea :
alan wrote:

Don't forget your tube of high temperature grease to store with the
drill - grease the bit if the drill that goes in the chuck.

I do give mine a squirt of grease (nothing fancy, I think it was bike grease
that came with a nice fine-nozzled gun) recently bought an SDS scutch chisel
(not used in anger yet) they recommend greasing it generously as it can reach
200°C

Its the shank, where it fits into the socket that you are supposed to
grease - but I suppose you knew that.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Martin Bonner submitted this idea :
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay),
but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of
"you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits
just marketting?

I've used the best and the worst - never really found much difference
in action or longevity, nor even had one needing replacement.

Yup, I have oen that bent a bit once, but other than that all mine,w
hich are generally cheapish ones have been fine
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57:31 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the
years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they
were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from
Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference
between them.

Excellent! (And thanks to everyone else who replied.)

I won't be doing this for a couple of months, so I can keep an eye on
Lidl/Aldi, and then buy from Wickes/Toom when I need to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner writes
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57:31 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the
years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they
were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from
Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference
between them.

Excellent! (And thanks to everyone else who replied.)

I won't be doing this for a couple of months, so I can keep an eye on
Lidl/Aldi, and then buy from Wickes/Toom when I need to.

For longer ones (600mm & 1m) add CPC to the list, they do sets of 3
regularly under a tenner (on offer).

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but
before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you
get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just
marketting?

Assuming you mean masonry drills.
It doesn'tseem to matter how blunt they get, the power of the drill is such,
it smashes through anyway.
What does upset things is the tip of the drill wears on the sides so you get
undersized holes.
Some things it matters, others not.
I haven't found much differences between the makes.

Chisels, the cheap ones go blunt quicker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2014 17:17, fred wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner writes
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57:31 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the
years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they
were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from
Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference
between them.

Excellent! (And thanks to everyone else who replied.)

I won't be doing this for a couple of months, so I can keep an eye on
Lidl/Aldi, and then buy from Wickes/Toom when I need to.

For longer ones (600mm & 1m) add CPC to the list, they do sets of 3
regularly under a tenner (on offer).

This is the set I bought (though a bit less expensive at the time, I feel):

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-10...its-chisel-set

Nice metal case that has lasted a number of years without obvious
damage. The plastic cases are dreadful. Other sources may be cheaper.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes
On 28/04/2014 17:17, fred wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner writes
On Sunday, April 27, 2014 6:57:31 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the
years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they
were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from
Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference
between them.

Excellent! (And thanks to everyone else who replied.)

I won't be doing this for a couple of months, so I can keep an eye on
Lidl/Aldi, and then buy from Wickes/Toom when I need to.

For longer ones (600mm & 1m) add CPC to the list, they do sets of 3
regularly under a tenner (on offer).

This is the set I bought (though a bit less expensive at the time, I feel):

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-10...its-chisel-set

Call that long :-?

Actually, I won't take this too far as the last time I mentioned the
thickness of the walls I was drilling through I got trumped in zero
seconds flat.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2014 21:43, fred wrote:
In article , polygonum
writes

This is the set I bought (though a bit less expensive at the time, I
feel):

http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-10...its-chisel-set

Call that long :-?

Actually, I won't take this too far as the last time I mentioned the
thickness of the walls I was drilling through I got trumped in zero
seconds flat.

Nah! Not long, just long-enough for most of my purposes.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 17:32, Martin Bonner wrote:
I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but before it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

Monday at Lidl - SDS drill, SDS bits (two different sets) and cross cut
mitre saw on Monday 12th May.

And 230mmm angle grinder. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:58:17 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
Monday at Lidl - SDS drill, SDS bits (two different sets) and cross cut
mitre saw on Monday 12th May.

And 230mmm angle grinder. :-)

Now I hate you.

There's an Aldi about 100 yards from my house (200 once I've walked round
the road), but the nearest Lidl is miles away :-((

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2014 22:46, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:58:17 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
Monday at Lidl - SDS drill, SDS bits (two different sets) and cross cut
mitre saw on Monday 12th May.

And 230mmm angle grinder. :-)

Now I hate you.

There's an Aldi about 100 yards from my house (200 once I've walked round
the road), but the nearest Lidl is miles away :-((

Aldi is about the only useful shop we *don't* have - now that
ToolStation has arrived to takes its place near Screwfix, Axminster, not
far from Lidl, ...

Oh! And Waitrose. Miles away. :-(

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
There's an Aldi about 100 yards from my house (200 once I've walked round
the road), but the nearest Lidl is miles away :-((

I'll swap you a Lidl for an Aldi. ;-) I've got 4 Lidl reasonably close -
but the nearest Aldi about a half hour drive away.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.