Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Haven't battery tools come a long way...

My Ryobi petrol strimmer finally blew up - threw a lump off the engine.
Killed it's hedge cutter unit 2 years ago thanks to a crappy plastic
gear. Will not be buying their stuff again...

So my latest toys a

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057XAD84

(Bosch 36V Li-Ion hedge trimmer)

and

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/gard...no/GLC3630L20/

(Black and Decker 36V strimmer).

The hedge cutter is fantastic. The supplied battery went through 1/3 of
my hedge which hasn't been cut since last summer, on a single charge -
it's also a ******* hawthorn. The cutter really does chew through quite
heavy branches. Not in one bite like a petrol unit, but I'd say it has
the same capacity (15-20mm). Feels almost like a mains unit.

I do have a second battery for it so with a 1 hour recharge time, I can
go more or less non stop but I've run out of wheelie bin space until the
dustmen come.

The strimmer is just as good as the Ryobi for capacity and better in
every other way - lighter, quieter, no buggering about with petrol and
burning my arm on the engine. Run time is adequate but as I can
alternate with hedge cutting it's not really a problem.

Very very impressed... Now to see how long they and their batteries last.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2014 21:08, Tim Watts wrote:

My Ryobi petrol strimmer finally blew up - threw a lump off the engine.

My first one ingested something (probably a lump of its own carb!):

http://internode.co.uk/ryobi/

Killed it's hedge cutter unit 2 years ago thanks to a crappy plastic
gear. Will not be buying their stuff again...

Since I had loads of add ons for it and saw a 4 stroke for £60 in Makro,
I got a second one some years back. Don't think I would buy one if
choosing from scratch again though. So far the replacement has worked
reasonably...

[...]

That will be the interesting bit...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/14 21:41, John Rumm wrote:

Very very impressed... Now to see how long they and their batteries last.

That will be the interesting bit...

I did have a dirt cheap NiCd hedge cutter as a distress purchase 2 years
back - it was weak and the batteries finally gave out completely this year.

However, my laptop, phone and Bosch cordless driver have all gone well
over the 3 year mark all with heavy use. So I'm optimistic for the
Li-Ion batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/14 07:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think looking after them, ie not leaving them in cold damp sheds all
winter is a good idea.

Quite likely. I have vowed to clean these after each use and give the
hedge trimmer a spray of light oil after each use. It's not actually
hard - just means keeping a cloth, a dish-brush and a spray oil can next
to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 09:36, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/04/14 07:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think looking after them, ie not leaving them in cold damp sheds all
winter is a good idea.

Quite likely. I have vowed to clean these after each use and give the
hedge trimmer a spray of light oil after each use. It's not actually
hard - just means keeping a cloth, a dish-brush and a spray oil can next
to them.

I think they'd get pinched from a shed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:36:35 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 27/04/14 07:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think looking after them, ie not leaving them in cold damp sheds all
winter is a good idea.

Quite likely. I have vowed to clean these after each use and give the
hedge trimmer a spray of light oil after each use. It's not actually
hard - just means keeping a cloth, a dish-brush and a spray oil can next
to them.

Speaking of which...I got caught out with our Numatic Charles (wet
cleaner and carpet cleaner). It was put away (by son) without flushing
through with warm water. Result: pump stuck solid.

Quite a lot of dismantling and fiddling to fix that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote in news:j5su2b-l3k.ln1
@squidward.local.dionic.net:

On 27/04/14 07:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think looking after them, ie not leaving them in cold damp sheds all
winter is a good idea.

Quite likely. I have vowed to clean these after each use and give the
hedge trimmer a spray of light oil after each use. It's not actually
hard - just means keeping a cloth, a dish-brush and a spray oil can next
to them.

Lubrication is so often missed nowadays. No lube = more friction = shorter
battery life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Lubrication is so often missed nowadays. No lube = more friction = shorter
battery life.

Here is an actual quote from my GP:

"The more lubrication you use the better."

Before you reach an erroneous conclusion this was during a discussion
about eye problems.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

Brand new batteries, brand new & sharp blade - so it might not be a fair
comparison.

It's a bit like comparing the start up time of a PC that has a newly
installed OS with one that's loaded down with several years worth of
cr@p.

--
Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2014 20:00, Bill Wright wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:

Lubrication is so often missed nowadays. No lube = more friction =
shorter battery life.

Here is an actual quote from my GP:

"The more lubrication you use the better."

Before you reach an erroneous conclusion this was during a discussion
about eye problems.

Was it making them water ;-)

--
Cheers,