Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Pump Capacitors - again

Just missed the thread on this subject.

Two days ago my C/H died mid operation. Fuse blown - replaced - did
not blow but pump didn't run. Checked rotation - spins freely.

Removed the pump and removed and tested the capacitor. Seemed OK on
an ohm-meter (charging then discharging).

Applied mains to the pump which then ran fine - without the capacitor.
Reconnected the latter which seemed to make no difference !

Changing the pump speed instantly blew the fuse. Distinct burning
smell from the body.

Noticed that Maplins stock a good range of capacitors.

Final sting in the tail - the pump isolating valves (which make it
easy to change the pump!) are now 'corrosion welded' to the pump.

Old pump was a WILO GOLD50 - four years old costing £45. Now
obsolete their recommended replacment is £199. I think I'll buy the
Toolstation DAB at £89.

GrahamC

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:09:13 +0100, Graham C wrote:

Final sting in the tail - the pump isolating valves (which make it
easy to change the pump!) are now 'corrosion welded' to the pump.

When you've drained down, cut out the old pump, redone the pipe work,
fited new valves (ball type not gate), use lightly greased
rubber/neoprene washers not fibre ones and put some grease on the
pump flange threads.

Old pump was a WILO GOLD50 - four years old costing £45. Now
obsolete their recommended replacment is £199. I think I'll buy the
Toolstation DAB at £89.

Flippin heck are bog standard circulators really that much these
days? Or are thse some fancy self modulating things?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham C wrote:
Just missed the thread on this subject.

Two days ago my C/H died mid operation. Fuse blown - replaced - did
not blow but pump didn't run. Checked rotation - spins freely.

Removed the pump and removed and tested the capacitor. Seemed OK on
an ohm-meter (charging then discharging).

Applied mains to the pump which then ran fine - without the capacitor.
Reconnected the latter which seemed to make no difference !

Changing the pump speed instantly blew the fuse. Distinct burning
smell from the body.

Noticed that Maplins stock a good range of capacitors.

Final sting in the tail - the pump isolating valves (which make it
easy to change the pump!) are now 'corrosion welded' to the pump.

Old pump was a WILO GOLD50 - four years old costing £45. Now
obsolete their recommended replacment is £199. I think I'll buy the
Toolstation DAB at £89.

my pump is a Grundfos and will be 25 years old next month!

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my pump is a Grundfos and will be 25 years old next month!

25 years? Thats nothing!!

Mine is over 35 years. 7 new heads and 3 new bodies.

Ahh yes! The same pump for nearly 40 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:12:28 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:09:13 +0100, Graham C wrote:

Final sting in the tail - the pump isolating valves (which make it
easy to change the pump!) are now 'corrosion welded' to the pump.

When you've drained down, cut out the old pump, redone the pipe work,
fited new valves (ball type not gate), use lightly greased
rubber/neoprene washers not fibre ones and put some grease on the
pump flange threads.
Old pump was a WILO GOLD50 - four years old costing £45. Now
obsolete their recommended replacment is £199. I think I'll buy the
Toolstation DAB at £89.

Flippin heck are bog standard circulators really that much these
days? Or are thse some fancy self modulating things?

all self modulating now for energy efficiency. The extra upfront cost is paid off over a 25yr pump life, but with no gain. Money's tied up pointlessly, but the greenies are happy. Silly really, since there are far more effective ways to save energy on CH.

Its a wallyocracy

NT

amp new PSU capacitors Archivist UK diy 2 March 4th 11 02:44 PM
capacitors Ignoramus2031 Metalworking 1 July 19th 08 10:04 PM
Capacitors 101 Stevie D Electronics Repair 6 December 21st 06 03:41 AM
Capacitors The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 May 3rd 06 09:14 AM
RPC run capacitors Martin Whybrow Metalworking 4 August 6th 05 06:29 PM