Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Capacitors

Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not sure if
it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make but only in 20uF
or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not sure if
it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make but only in
20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Probably - yes as all these devices have a wide tolerance. To be on the
safe side I'd use 20uF in parallel with a 5 or 4.7uF.

Do make sure you use the correct type!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Herber

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:24:58 +0100, "Fred" wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not sure if
it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make but only in
20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Probably - yes as all these devices have a wide tolerance. To be on the
safe side I'd use 20uF in parallel with a 5 or 4.7uF.

Do make sure you use the correct type!

and voltage rating.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.pherber.com/
Electronics for Visio http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Fred wrote:

Probably - yes as all these devices have a wide tolerance. To be on
the safe side I'd use 20uF in parallel with a 5 or 4.7uF.

Do make sure you use the correct type!

Thanks Fred. How would I identify the correct type? What am I looking for?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF.
Not sure if
it's a start or run capacitor.

Sounds a bit high to me

Maplins stock the same make but only in 20uF
or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Fred wrote:

Probably - yes as all these devices have a wide tolerance. To be on
the safe side I'd use 20uF in parallel with a 5 or 4.7uF.

Do make sure you use the correct type!

Thanks Fred. How would I identify the correct type? What am I looking
for?

Have a look at the old one and use that as a basis for comparison. I
presume the ones you saw in Maplin a
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?...Menu=y&doy=1m5

which should be OK. To be certain I'd use the 16 and 10uF ones in parallel
which give you near enough 25uF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not sure if
it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make but only in 20uF
or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Either. Needs to be 400v AC rated
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure
washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not
sure if it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make
but only in 20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Is it yellow and squarish in shape? if so my guess is its a spark
suppressor cap and 30uF will suffice.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

That sounds unlikely with the size of capacitance given. Spark
suppression capacitors require a low ESR to absorb the RF and a
capacitor of 25uF is not going to have that typically. Spark
suppressors are normally in the 0.1uF range - further I doubt that
pressure washers use universal motors so there are no sparks to
suppress.

I converted a 2kw motor from a broken pressure washer to run my
circular saw some time back. In doing so I had to replace the timer
capacitor and the start/run capacitors. The timer capacitor in my case
was in an electronic circuit and was small - the start/run capacitors
were like the ones shown in the Maplin advert and were of that physical
size, voltage and tolerance. If it is a timer capacitor it is most
likely to be electrolytic and have a tolerance in the order of 50% or
more, so any of the values given will do.

The Maplin site has a website http://www.lcrcapacitors.co.uk/ - see
if that gives any guidance on the accuracy requirement of start/run
caps. As pressure washers are run for quite short periods I wouldn't
have thought that a slight change would have made much difference and I
would go for the 30uF.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Is it yellow and squarish in shape? if so my guess is its a spark
suppressor cap and 30uF will suffice.

Sounds a bit big to me for RF suppression. The range of these tends to be
about 0.01 - 1µF.

--
*When the going gets tough, the tough take a coffee break *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure
washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not
sure if it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make
but only in 20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Is it yellow and squarish in shape? if so my guess is its a spark
suppressor cap and 30uF will suffice.

well its always nice to see complete and utter ignorance displayed on
the forum isn't it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure
washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not
sure if it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make
but only in 20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA

Is it yellow and squarish in shape? if so my guess is its a spark
suppressor cap and 30uF will suffice.

well its always nice to see complete and utter ignorance displayed on
the forum isn't it?

What forum ?

it's a newsgroup

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi All

I have an acquaintance who is trying to repair a Bosch pressure
washer.

The faulty component appears to be a capacitor rated at 25uF. Not
sure if it's a start or run capacitor. Maplins stock the same make
but only in 20uF or 30uF.

Can either of these be used instead - and which one?

TIA
Is it yellow and squarish in shape? if so my guess is its a spark
suppressor cap and 30uF will suffice.

well its always nice to see complete and utter ignorance displayed on
the forum isn't it?

What forum ?

it's a newsgroup

Whatever. I switch between usenet and other web based discussion areas
so much. sometimes I forget which one I'm in.