Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Ivy

Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end
of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting
rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a
bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down
causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used
for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like
climbing roses?

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:36:11 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end

of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting

rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a

bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down

causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used

for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like

climbing roses?

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

We just trim it regularly. The hairy bits left on the wall we just leave to weather and decay.

Prefer Virginia Creeper myself but its swmbo's choice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:36:11 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end
of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting
rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a
bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down
causes the roots to go a bit mad.
What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used
for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like
climbing roses?
Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

Cut the stem(s) at the base & forget it. Its then self-getting-rid-of, albeit slowly.

I dont know the effect of chemicals on the soil

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end
of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting
rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a
bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down
causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used
for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like
climbing roses?

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

Ammonium sulphamate (NOT sulphate) will kill the roots but can only be
sold as a compost accelerator not a weed/stump killer any longer -
Thanks EU! It can be found on ebay.
I mix it with some glyphosate (roundup etc) for good luck and spray it
on the leaves - I dont think it will work applied to woody stems but not
sure.
I would let some new leaves appear and form fully and then spray 'em.

Both chemicals break down and do not have a long term effect on the soil.
This is reinforced by it's official use on compost heaps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2014 15:22, Bob Minchin wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Ammonium Sulphamate was know as Rootout until the EU intervened. You
might like to try your local allotment holders association - they may
sell it as a 'compost accelerator'

Cut the stems and put solid on freshly cut surface, then cover. This
kills the roots, but IME the topn will continue to thrive if it can get
water from the surface it is attached to. I would advise spraying the
top growth with a solution to kill it - it helps if you manage to soak
the surface. When dead a Dutch hoe is a good scraper to clean the surface

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and end
of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of getting
rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have something a
bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it down
causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type used
for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something like
climbing roses?

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

Cut it off at the bottom and treat the root bit with roundup painted on
immediately after cutting.
This will kill it.
Getting the ivy off the wall is a pain in the neck unless it is quite small

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:18:31 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
"DerbyBorn" Nearhome.com wrote in message
2.222...

Forthcoming old age makes me believe the ivy has to go.

Cut it off at the bottom and treat the root bit with roundup painted on
immediately after cutting.
This will kill it.
Getting the ivy off the wall is a pain in the neck unless it is quite small

Just leave it. Once cut at the base its a self solving problem. Weird how people want to mess about with something that wants to do the job for them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Having just trimmed back the ivy that has been growing up the side and
end
of the garage for 20 odd years and now have to face the problem of
getting
rid of the debris, my wife said, "let's get rid of it and have
something a
bit more attractive and dainty." However, she claims that cutting it
down
causes the roots to go a bit mad.

What is the view on cutting it down and using a chemical of the type
used
for tree stumps? Would this render the soil inhospitable to something
like
climbing roses?

When dead a Dutch hoe is a good scraper to clean the surface

Won't she complain like hell tho?

Removing TRV The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 November 24th 09 12:28 AM
Removing PVA Maris UK diy 5 December 18th 07 12:41 PM
Help with removing bow [email protected] Woodworking 14 January 11th 06 10:16 PM
removing ink steve Home Repair 5 November 27th 05 02:53 PM
removing Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 2 November 11th 05 11:17 AM