Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Er..pardon?

Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

.... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote
control handsets are often better than the originals.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect they are covering themselves. When i used to use Strimmers I found
the cord was in all sorts of colours from the local shop, and only the b/d
was the original colour, but more expensive. Cannot say I noticed much
difference, it all went bad if you left it in the strimmer over a winter
with bad frosts.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item." ... which sounds
as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote control
handsets are often better than the originals.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory
redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one of
the endless dictats from NuLab?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 11:17:12 +0100
Scott M wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory
redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one
of the endless dictats from NuLab?

And it still doesn't say of what it is non-genuine.
It might mean that it is non-genuine manufacturer's product, but it
doesn't say that, despite having lots of words.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 01:12:18 +0100
Bill Wright wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote
control handsets are often better than the originals.

Bill

So I could carve a piece of plastic to resemble a TV remote control, and
it would possibly work better than a genuine remote control?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory
redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one
of the endless dictats from NuLab?

And it still doesn't say of what it is non-genuine.
It might mean that it is non-genuine manufacturer's product, but it
doesn't say that, despite having lots of words.

These days the expression "knock-off" is often used to mean a copy of
the original, but to my ears knock-off means stolen.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in
mandatory redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" -
maybe it was one of the endless dictats from NuLab?

And it still doesn't say of what it is non-genuine.
It might mean that it is non-genuine manufacturer's product, but it
doesn't say that, despite having lots of words.

These days the expression "knock-off" is often used to mean a copy of
the original, but to my ears knock-off means stolen.

Mine too. And besides, here the expression used is 'non-genuine', which
means 'fake'.
'Knock-on/off' can refer to spoked wheels, of course.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as good.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:46:03 +0100
Roger Mills wrote:

On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as
good.

Agreed. But it was the use of the term 'non-genuine' that I was really
querying. To me, 'non-genuine' means 'fake'.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as
good.

Agreed. But it was the use of the term 'non-genuine' that I was really
querying. To me, 'non-genuine' means 'fake'.

Isn't it only fake if there is some deception involved?

A fake tan is where someone applies a substance in order to pretend they
have been on holiday in the sun and really expects to get away with it.

Whereas someone putting on an odd orange/brown gunge and knowing that
everyone around knows it is entirely an artifice somehow doesn't qualify
as fake. Even if everyone calls it a fake tan!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote
control handsets are often better than the originals.

Bill

So I could carve a piece of plastic to resemble a TV remote control, and
it would possibly work better than a genuine remote control?

Don't be such an imbecile.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as good.

Manufacturers often tell us that their products and consumables are far
superior to any 'copies'. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr 2014, Bill Wright grunted:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote
control handsets are often better than the originals.

Nah, cord's much better: I find the battery compartment of the remote tends
to get clogged with weeds.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as
good.

Agreed. But it was the use of the term 'non-genuine' that I was really
querying. To me, 'non-genuine' means 'fake'.

What does genuine mean? Bearing a particular manufacturer's logo?
Traceable to his factory?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather
than 'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often
just as good.

Agreed. But it was the use of the term 'non-genuine' that I was
really querying. To me, 'non-genuine' means 'fake'.

What does genuine mean? Bearing a particular manufacturer's logo?
Traceable to his factory?

IF that is what is claimed, yes; otherwise, who knows? Here, there is
no claim as to what genuine means.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with that, on the face of it. Non-genuine TV remote
control handsets are often better than the originals.

Nah, cord's much better: I find the battery compartment of the remote
tends to get clogged with weeds.

So that's the problem! Thanks.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 20:09:07 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:
On 18/04/2014 01:10, Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

Think of it as being like buying 'compatible' printer ink rather than
'genuine original'. Compatible ink is far cheaper and often just as good.

Manufacturers often tell us that their products and consumables are far
superior to any 'copies'. Sometimes they are; sometimes they aren't.

Bill

TWST,WT?

I refilled my officially non refillable cartridge with a bottle of
toner costing £6

Price of a genuine HP cartridge about £50.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling
statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."

... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory
redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one
of the endless dictats from NuLab?

And it still doesn't say of what it is non-genuine.
It might mean that it is non-genuine manufacturer's product, but it
doesn't say that, despite having lots of words.

I would have thought it was bleedin obvious... its a compatible
replacement made by a manufacturer other than that used by the OEM. A
pattern part if you like.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/04/2014 11:17, Scott M wrote:
Davey wrote:
Looking online for strimmer cord, I came across this puzzling statement:

"This is a quality non-genuine replacement spare item."
... which sounds as though it is a quality fake. Hmmm.

The latest linguistic shift, loss of brevity and belief in mandatory
redundant verbiage. Everything has to be "quality" - maybe it was one of
the endless dictats from NuLab?

I got off ferry in Kowloon when working in HK, to be approached by a guy
with Arthur Daley like tact, opened his jacket and loads of watches all
on show ... and his pitch was ... " not rubbish, not fakes, genuine copies"

pardon, WHAT DID YOU SAY ?? geoff UK diy 19 August 16th 10 03:24 PM
Bush Pardon Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 72 February 4th 09 08:26 PM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Please pardon this brief commercial announcement Glen Goodwin Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 06 08:04 PM
OT--Pardon my stupidity, but- Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 13 April 15th 05 06:41 PM