Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Well OT

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in news:li1kh2$2r9$1@dont-
email.me:

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

Virus threat!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:19:27 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

"ARW" wrote in news:li1kh2$2r9$1@dont-
email.me:

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

Virus threat!

So... Just you and me then? BTW, did you see the same trojan threat I
saw?

Looking at the way the thread is progressing, it's little wonder that
malware seems to be so successfully infecting windows machines in
spite of 'security patches. Maybe they're all using *nix based distros
(where the presence of such threats is largely of academic interest
other than to protect smb connected windows boxes).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 21:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in news:li1kh2$2r9$1@dont-
email.me:

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

Virus threat!

Could you be more specific?

Reported as what, and by what?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 08/04/2014 21:19, DerbyBorn wrote:
"ARW" wrote in news:li1kh2$2r9$1@dont-
email.me:

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

Virus threat!

Could you be more specific?

Reported as what, and by what?

AVAST - Threat Detected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

** Not to be used without protective clothing near feminists. **

(I just tried it on 'er indoors and it asked questions like "Does your
character live with both his parents?" when it didn't yet know the sex
of the character.)

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:59:54 PM UTC+1, wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/
It is addictive.

It confuses Lord Peter Wimsey with Richard Hannay and Jackal.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2014 20:59, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

Took over 60 questions to get to A.J. Raffles

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 20:59:54 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

http://en.akinator.com/xxx/personnages/

It is addictive.

WARNING!

Infection BlockedURL:
h_pub_akinator_com__www__delivery__afr_php?charset
Infection: JS:Redirector-BJC [Trj]

It's got a trojan horse redirector.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://en.akinator.com/xxx/personnages/

It is addictive.

WARNING!

Infection BlockedURL:
h_pub_akinator_com__www__delivery__afr_php?charset
Infection: JS:Redirector-BJC [Trj]

It's got a trojan horse redirector.

Ah, a malwaretizing style hack - probably why I did not see it since I
run adblock.

More details on this one he

https://blog.avast.com/tag/openx/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

o.uk...
wrote:

http://en.akinator.com/xxx/personnages/

It is addictive.

WARNING!

Infection BlockedURL:
h_pub_akinator_com__www__delivery__afr_php?charset
Infection: JS:Redirector-BJC [Trj]

It's got a trojan horse redirector.

Ah, a malwaretizing style hack - probably why I did not see it since I run
adblock.

More details on this one he

https://blog.avast.com/tag/openx/

That says "Unfortunately, the only antivirus detecting this threat is avast!
" and I am running Avast which detected nothing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Apr 2014, "ARW" grunted:

o.uk...
wrote:

http://en.akinator.com/xxx/personnages/

It is addictive.

WARNING!

Infection BlockedURL:
h_pub_akinator_com__www__delivery__afr_php?charset
Infection: JS:Redirector-BJC [Trj]

It's got a trojan horse redirector.

Ah, a malwaretizing style hack - probably why I did not see it since
I run adblock.

Does this mean that it only infects people who click on the infected
advert?

More details on this one he

https://blog.avast.com/tag/openx/

That says "Unfortunately, the only antivirus detecting this threat is
avast! " and I am running Avast which detected nothing.

Avast certainly caught it here.

The message is dated 13 Jan, so you'd hope that the bit about Avast
being the only one to detect it will be out of date now. It also says:

"Infection and consequences for users visiting a malicious website are
described in our recent post about malvertising, but today let’s look at
how to successfully clean, update, and secure your application. Below
are the top 5 most visited and infected sites. Is yours on this list?

pub.akinator.com
ads.locafilm.com
ads.novsport.com
ads.svetplus.com
116.66.206.132"

....so this akinator site must have known they've been infected for about
3 months. Brilliant.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:

http://en.akinator.com/xxx/personnages/

It is addictive.

WARNING!

Infection BlockedURL:
h_pub_akinator_com__www__delivery__afr_php?charset
Infection: JS:Redirector-BJC [Trj]

It's got a trojan horse redirector.

Ah, a malwaretizing style hack - probably why I did not see it since I
run adblock.

More details on this one he

https://blog.avast.com/tag/openx/

That says "Unfortunately, the only antivirus detecting this threat is
avast! " and I am running Avast which detected nothing.

Malware that compromises ad servers is usually smart enough to only
poison a very small number of ads served - so on a typically site it
might only hit every 1000th visitor etc. It keeps the detection rate
much lower, since there is a very small chance a AV company will sample
the site at just the right moment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2014 01:20, John Rumm wrote:
Malware that compromises ad servers is usually smart enough to only
poison a very small number of ads served - so on a typically site it
might only hit every 1000th visitor etc. It keeps the detection rate
much lower, since there is a very small chance a AV company will sample
the site at just the right moment.

That doesn't work. There's also a much smaller chance of infecting anyone.

(think about it - say every 1000th hit is the AV company, and they
infect 1 in ten. After 500 hits they've infected 50, and been detected.
If they went for everyone it would only take 50 hits to infect the 50
people, and be detected)

Slower infection also means there is more chance that the on-server AV
will detect it, or that their exploits will be fixed.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

--
Adam

You might like this one if you're into geography.
http://www.lufthansa-vp.com/vp1/play.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

I defeated it because it asked 'is your character a girl' and because
she was in fact a woman, I said 'no'

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

I beat it so many times it crashed.

Its pathetic.
Keeps harping on about vampires and appears to not know anything about
books written before 1980

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

I beat it so many times it crashed.

Its pathetic.
Keeps harping on about vampires and appears to not know anything about
books written before 1980

I tried it on 19th century and early 20th century books and it got them
every time.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

I beat it so many times it crashed.

Its pathetic.
Keeps harping on about vampires and appears to not know anything about
books written before 1980

I tried it on 19th century and early 20th century books and it got them
every time.

Perhaps you only tried the 'ones everybody knows'

Rather than the 'ones that a lot of people know, but not you'

Oh It DID get 'Captain Nemo' but I think that was because he's been in
films. Narrows the range.

Reminds me of the book title I used to defeat some silly party gamne

"The electric kool-aid acid test" is apparently not as well known as I
thought.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

I beat it so many times it crashed.

Its pathetic.
Keeps harping on about vampires and appears to not know anything about
books written before 1980

I would say it only actually got 5 out of about 40 right.

Amy Johnson, Amelia Earhart, Grace Hopper, Bagheera and Professor Plum.

It didn't know
Sir Nigel
Baroness Orczy
Peter Pienaar
Sax Rohmer
Tony McPhee
Patricia Holm
Hoppy Unitaz
Bill the Galactic Hero
Eric Prince of Amber
Tom Wolfe
Hilary Putnam

And it kept asking the same questions..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:13:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Patricia Holm
Hoppy Unitaz

Ha! I doubt many *people* would these days (I do).

It got Irene Adler, though. Mind, that's been on TV.

I was thinking of Hoppy and his famous phrase "Shall I give him de woiks,
boss?" only yesterday, strangely...

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/14 12:07, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:13:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Patricia Holm
Hoppy Unitaz

Ha! I doubt many *people* would these days (I do).

I own all but one of the saint books and then I discovered they were ALL
on ebooks.

So if anyone wants the entire paperback collection -1, tatty as
whatever culled from half a dozen publishers over 30 years in many
different countries..

It got Irene Adler, though. Mind, that's been on TV.

I was thinking of Hoppy and his famous phrase "Shall I give him de woiks,
boss?" only yesterday, strangely...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 13:38:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/04/14 12:07, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:13:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Patricia Holm Hoppy Unitaz

Ha! I doubt many *people* would these days (I do).

I own all but one of the saint books and then I discovered they were ALL
on ebooks.

So if anyone wants the entire paperback collection -1, tatty as
whatever culled from half a dozen publishers over 30 years in many
different countries..

I have a very large number, but never counted...

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Apr 2014, The Natural Philosopher grunted:

On 09/04/14 08:23, Huge wrote:
On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
[...]

Blimey, you are a man with too much time on his hands...!

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/14 08:23, Huge wrote:
On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
[...]

Over 1000 books in my hard copy library and a;l;l of thise have been
read more than once

57 years of reading..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/14 08:23, Huge wrote:
On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
[...]

Quite a small one, then. We have ~ 4000 at last count. Excluding the
continuous run of Analog (under various names) since about 1943.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
[...]

Actually I was on about the time you've spent playing this game...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You should go to more parties- if you get any invites....:-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

Just got "Guessed right one more time - I know who you are thinking of and I
believe it's not for children"

Well that's rich considering it guessed my last character correctly ie John
Holmes and it now finds out that Duke Nukem is not for children.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-08, ARW wrote:
http://en.akinator.com/personnages/

It is addictive.

It is.

And I had to go *really* obscure to beat it. Took 3 goes.

Just got "Guessed right one more time - I know who you are thinking of
and I believe it's not for children"

Well that's rich considering it guessed my last character correctly ie
John Holmes and it now finds out that Duke Nukem is not for children.

It guessed Rachel Riley far too easily.

Twitter wish to tweet them they can pay me Β£30 a post