Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you identify this product...

....from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 07:38:19 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

...from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I thought toilet seat, and a Google search seems to confirm it.
http://snipurl.com/28rpjy8

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/14 15:38, mike wrote:
...from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I'd guess at something like wooden platter.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I thought toilet seat, and a Google search seems to confirm it.

http://snipurl.com/28rpjy8

It is a toilet seat:

http://tinypic.com/r/2eksoj4/8

The next question is why you thought it was a toilet seat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I thought toilet seat, and a Google search seems to confirm it.

http://snipurl.com/28rpjy8

It is a toilet seat:

http://tinypic.com/r/2eksoj4/8

The next question is why you thought it was a toilet seat.

all the warnings made sense if it was a rather fragile material capable
of absorbing water and finished on some kind of finish that was inimical
to solvents.

That suggested varnished wood.

they reasoning there is that you don't use materials that need so many
warnings unless there is some overriding aesthetic reason for them. Wood
and perhaps woven fabric come into that category, but the insistence on
non scouring cleaners suffesteed a rigid surface ergo wood, not fabric.

I didn't then go further and deduce its actual function and indeed not
putting plant pots on it seemed a spurious thing as why on earth WOULD
one put plant pots on a toilet seat.

So hats off to whoever got it right.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...from the warning label attached to it?

http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I thought toilet seat, and a Google search seems to confirm it.

http://snipurl.com/28rpjy8

It is a toilet seat:

http://tinypic.com/r/2eksoj4/8

The next question is why you thought it was a toilet seat.

Just a guess. It had to be something innocuous, and toilet seats often
have labels that state the bleeding obvious, usually headed "Notice to
the builder"

Here is a piece of Chinglish on my desk.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/...n/photostream/

Google is aware og this one too.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

...from the warning label attached to it?
http://tinypic.com/r/k4f7ef/8

I thought toilet seat, and a Google search seems to confirm it.

http://snipurl.com/28rpjy8

It is a toilet seat:

http://tinypic.com/r/2eksoj4/8

The next question is why you thought it was a toilet seat.

all the warnings made sense if it was a rather fragile material capable
of absorbing water and finished on some kind of finish that was inimical
to solvents.

That suggested varnished wood.

Or papier mache!

they reasoning there is that you don't use materials that need so many
warnings unless there is some overriding aesthetic reason for them. Wood
and perhaps woven fabric come into that category, but the insistence on
non scouring cleaners suffesteed a rigid surface ergo wood, not fabric.

I didn't then go further and deduce its actual function and indeed not
putting plant pots on it seemed a spurious thing as why on earth WOULD
one put plant pots on a toilet seat.

So hats off to whoever got it right.

Strangely it omits to say "not suitable for standing on" and that is a
genuine cause of accidents in the home often requiring the fire brigade
to extract the unfortunate DIYers foot from the bowl of the lavatory.

Probably an injury at least as unpleasant as putting leg through a lath
and plaster ceiling.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2014 16:37, Martin Brown wrote:
Strangely it omits to say "not suitable for standing on" and that is a
genuine cause of accidents in the home often requiring the fire brigade
to extract the unfortunate DIYers foot from the bowl of the lavatory.

Probably an injury at least as unpleasant as putting leg through a lath
and plaster ceiling.

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made both
in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them and in
types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the British
Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for 13A plugs,
depending upon whether they are impact resistant or not.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 03/04/2014 16:37, Martin Brown wrote:
Strangely it omits to say "not suitable for standing on" and that is a
genuine cause of accidents in the home often requiring the fire brigade
to extract the unfortunate DIYers foot from the bowl of the lavatory.

Probably an injury at least as unpleasant as putting leg through a lath
and plaster ceiling.

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on.

Nope, it clearly isnt.

Toilet seat covers are made both in types that can take the weight of a
human standing on them and in types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix
letter for the British Standard that distinguishes which is which, as
there is for 13A plugs, depending upon whether they are impact resistant
or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made both
in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them and in
types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the British
Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for 13A plugs,

[snip]

Sorry, got this far and all I could think was "There's a standard for a
13A plug you /can/ stand on? Gosh."

:-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 22:55:20 +0100
Scott M wrote:

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made
both in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them
and in types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the
British Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for
13A plugs,

[snip]

Sorry, got this far and all I could think was "There's a standard for
a 13A plug you /can/ stand on? Gosh."

Yup, me too. I wondered how that came about, until I finished reading.
A shame, actually.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made both
in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them and in
types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the British
Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for 13A plugs,

[snip]

Sorry, got this far and all I could think was "There's a standard for a
13A plug you /can/ stand on? Gosh."

:-)

Any 13A plug can take a bleeding foot!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2014 22:55, Scott M wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made
both in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them and
in types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the British
Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for 13A plugs,

[snip]

Sorry, got this far and all I could think was "There's a standard for a
13A plug you /can/ stand on? Gosh."

:-)

Well, I suppose that, provided you don't bend the pins by doing so, that
would be BS 1363A :-)

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Perhaps it is suitable for standing on. Toilet seat covers are made
both in types that can take the weight of a human standing on them and
in types that cannot. ISTR there is a suffix letter for the British
Standard that distinguishes which is which, as there is for 13A plugs,

[snip]

Sorry, got this far and all I could think was "There's a standard for a
13A plug you /can/ stand on? Gosh."

:-)

Well, I suppose that, provided you don't bend the pins by doing so, that
would be BS 1363A :-)

:-) Now they just need a BS for the Lego/sock interface!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 09:22, PeterC wrote:
Any 13A plug can take a bleeding foot!

ITYM Any 13A plug can make a foot bleed...

Andy

Can anyone help identify this product? Dave Osborne[_2_] UK diy 27 December 20th 09 10:00 PM
What is the best product? Kate[_5_] Home Repair 4 July 31st 09 07:34 AM
New Product HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 16 March 15th 09 07:39 PM
new product qtheland Woodworking 0 February 24th 08 02:12 PM
US name for a UK product Den Home Repair 7 August 18th 04 10:39 PM