Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a hand knob

I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 22:19, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.

Which is 8mm - the thread diameter of the bolt or the size of its hex
head across the flats?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:49:11 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 31/03/2014 22:19, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.

Which is 8mm - the thread diameter of the bolt or the size of its hex
head across the flats?

The size of the hex head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 22:19, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.

Which is 8mm - the thread diameter of the bolt or the size of its hex
head across the flats?

The size of the hex head.

If you don't mind swapping the bolt, for one attached to a knob,
Axminster have some:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-star-knobs

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 22:19, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.

Which is 8mm - the thread diameter of the bolt or the size of its hex
head across the flats?

The size of the hex head.

If you don't mind swapping the bolt, for one attached to a knob,
Axminster have some:

I thought about that, It's for the depth lock on a router and is a
reverse thread so I thought I might struggle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2014 22:19, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Cheers.

Which is 8mm - the thread diameter of the bolt or the size of its hex
head across the flats?

The size of the hex head.

If you don't mind swapping the bolt, for one attached to a knob,
Axminster have some:

I thought about that, It's for the depth lock on a router and is a
reverse thread so I thought I might struggle.

How about a nut driver, either the full "screwdriver" type, or the ones
with a hex drive for which you can get "screwdriver handles". You could
also "cast" one of those into car body filler, araldite, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I thought about that, It's for the depth lock on a router and is a
reverse thread so I thought I might struggle.

I'd guess you will. Drill out a wing nut so it fits over the thread and
solder it to the nut head? If the existing bolt is long enough?

--
*If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 31 March 2014 22:19:40 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt.

Anyone know where I can buy such a thing?

Burhani might have one, but you might find that too far to travel.

More seriously, get a knob of a size suitable for your hand to use, and, after perhaps adjusting its initial hole and degreasing all relevant surfaces, fix the knob to the bolt with an Araldite-type adhesive. Or, if the materials are suitable, solder them together.

--
SL