Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Underlay problem?

Hello all!

As a first time buyer last year I've noticed a couple of things I never would have when living with parents. One of these is the underlay in the living room.

We had new carpet (last April) and underlay install in the living room and in certain areas it sounds like your walking on nappies or a crinkling sound underneath. Sorry for the terrible description but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The sounds not loud but when there is no TV on you can hear it. I'm sure that's not normal but with not paying attention to other houses I've lived in I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello Andy.

It's concrete floors underneath the underlay and carpet sorry I should have put that above. Which makes me think the underlay mite have gone. We paid extra for better underlay.... Or supposed better underlay. Or of course the sound could be normal and I'm just being paranoid lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like you have something similar to stuff I found under our carpets whilst moving some radiators. It seems to be made up of shredded recycled plastic, crap stuff that falls apart as soon as you look at it. Cannot say I notice any sound with carpet on top but when walked on bare it sounds like walking on supermarket plastic bags, which is likely what it is made off. The only thing to do is replace with something decent. I would not recommend placing carpet on a bare floor, if it is planked you will see every join and these will end up being the points the carpet will wear through first.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hello all!

As a first time buyer last year I've noticed a couple of things I never
would have when living with parents. One of these is the underlay in the
living room.

We had new carpet (last April) and underlay install in the living room and
in certain areas it sounds like your walking on nappies or a crinkling sound
underneath. Sorry for the terrible description but I'm not sure how else to
describe it. The sounds not loud but when there is no TV on you can hear it.
I'm sure that's not normal but with not paying attention to other houses
I've lived in I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The noise can be caused by the underlay rubbing against the floor as you
walk on it.
They used to put down stuff that looked like brown paper to stop this years
ago.
Dunno what the modern equivalent would be now.
You could experiment over a small area with sheets of newspaper under the
underlay to find out if this is the cause.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hello all!

As a first time buyer last year I've noticed a couple of things I never
would have when living with parents. One of these is the underlay in the
living room.

We had new carpet (last April) and underlay install in the living room and
in certain areas it sounds like your walking on nappies or a crinkling
sound underneath. Sorry for the terrible description but I'm not sure how
else to describe it. The sounds not loud but when there is no TV on you
can hear it. I'm sure that's not normal but with not paying attention to
other houses I've lived in I don't know. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

I have this too - I suspect the underlay is meant to be the other way up - I
did two rooms at the same time and one has this plastic bag noise, the other
doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello all, the under lay is http://www.carpetright.co.uk/royale-underlay.html

I dont know how good or bad this stuff is. Bit of a novice when it comes to this. Im trying to figure out if the problem is the underlay has worn out already or has come away from the floor. In any case would a normal warranty cover this? Planning on heading up there this afternoon but wanted know what mite be the problem first.

Thanks all again for your help and advice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Geoff Pearson
writes

I have this too - I suspect the underlay is meant to be the other way up - I
did two rooms at the same time and one has this plastic bag noise, the other
doesn't.

Possible I suppose, the picture in the provided link shows it the wrong
way up, the more papery side should be upwards.

Personally I staple tack the underlay to the floor at 0.5 - 0.75m
intervals and tape the seams so it becomes a single mass and can't
'walk'. The o/p's solid floor means stapling wouldn't be possible but a
low tack spray adhesive sprayed on the floor could stop the underlay
walking if that is the problem (and it has not been laid wrong way up).

I'd be surprised if it has failed in just a couple of years as that sort
of stuff is usually pushed with upwards of 10yr guarantees.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That mite be the case it's upside down and creating more noise. I have the person coming around in the morning to see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestions just wanted to make sure I was not being daft with a suggestion as I don't know it that's normal' I'll post on here when he's been around with his response if anyone is interested or disagrees with what is said... Make sure he's not just trying to dupe me

Taping down Underlay? MarkG1234 UK diy 5 February 26th 13 08:16 PM
Getting underlay flat Steve UK diy 6 February 10th 09 12:29 AM
best underlay for laminate Staffbull UK diy 2 September 19th 06 05:12 PM
Carpet underlay which way up? mickael UK diy 2 December 17th 04 08:49 PM
carpet underlay Andrew UK diy 18 August 31st 04 11:39 AM