Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Beware phone number scammers;!...

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:57:41 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I keep getting calls which when I answer I get a recording saying
'We've been trying to contact the owner of this property... blah, blah,
eligible for subsidised boiler, double glazing, solar panels... blah, blah,
press 2 to speak to an advisor for free'.

Doing a 1471 gives a 'we don't have the number', so I've been tempted
to press 2 and get their details in order to complain about them, but is
there a danger that pressing 2 will dial out to a premium rate number for
another recorded message?

--

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

In article , The Other John
scribeth thus
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:57:41 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I keep getting calls which when I answer I get a recording saying
'We've been trying to contact the owner of this property... blah, blah,
eligible for subsidised boiler, double glazing, solar panels... blah, blah,
press 2 to speak to an advisor for free'.

Doing a 1471 gives a 'we don't have the number', so I've been tempted
to press 2 and get their details in order to complain about them, but is
there a danger that pressing 2 will dial out to a premium rate number for
another recorded message?

You can try registering with the TPS Telephone Preference Service it
stops a lot of it but not all. A bit of basic Angry Saxon takes care of
the rest;!...

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:04:43 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

You can try registering with the TPS Telephone Preference Service it
stops a lot of it but not all. A bit of basic Angry Saxon takes care of
the rest;!...

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

I *am* registered with the TPS but these calls would get round that because
they are not sales calls but 'advice calls' and as I said you have to press 2
to speak to an 'advisor' but they don't say where they are calling from.

--

TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On 24/03/2014 16:04 The Other John wrote:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 20:57:41 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I keep getting calls which when I answer I get a recording saying
'We've been trying to contact the owner of this property... blah, blah,
eligible for subsidised boiler, double glazing, solar panels... blah, blah,
press 2 to speak to an advisor for free'.

Doing a 1471 gives a 'we don't have the number', so I've been tempted
to press 2 and get their details in order to complain about them, but is
there a danger that pressing 2 will dial out to a premium rate number for
another recorded message?

Not sure about the premium rate problem you ask about but, if you do
press 2, will that not mean that you have contacted them and so they
are, from that point on, allowed to call you 'legally'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:47:02 +0000, F wrote:

Not sure about the premium rate problem you ask about but, if you do
press 2, will that not mean that you have contacted them and so they
are, from that point on, allowed to call you 'legally'?

But if I press 2 and ask them to stop calling me then I can complain if they
continue to do so.

--

TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

"The Other John" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 19:04:43 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

You can try registering with the TPS Telephone Preference Service it
stops a lot of it but not all. A bit of basic Angry Saxon takes care of
the rest;!...

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

I *am* registered with the TPS but these calls would get round that because
they are not sales calls but 'advice calls' and as I said you have to press
2
to speak to an 'advisor' but they don't say where they are calling from.

If the intention is to sell you something at the end of the advice then (as
far as the legislation is concerned) it's a sales call, however hard they
try to pretend otherwise.

I accept that the distinction is moot with regards to calls originating from
overseas call centres

tim

--

TOJ.