Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Fire thoughts

I have a Magiglo Gas fire with an open bed of "coals" under a pre-cast flue
formed in the inner blocks of the cavity wall.
A recent post made me realise that it is very innefficient and I also get a
cold draught from the chimney whith certain conditions.

What are the options? I recall reading that I cannot fit a balanced flue
through a cavity wall (although where the fire is fitted there is only the
outer leaf of bricks behind the fire.

We don't really like fires behind glass - but this might be a dated
prejudice.

Any suggestions for something that would be energy efficient and avoid the
draughty flue - and be complient with regulations?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
I have a Magiglo Gas fire with an open bed of "coals" under a pre-cast flue
formed in the inner blocks of the cavity wall.
A recent post made me realise that it is very innefficient and I also get
cold draught from the chimney whith certain conditions.

What are the options? I recall reading that I cannot fit a balanced flue
through a cavity wall (although where the fire is fitted there is only the
outer leaf of bricks behind the fire.

We don't really like fires behind glass - but this might be a dated
prejudice.

Any suggestions for something that would be energy efficient and avoid the
draughty flue - and be complient with regulations?

http://www.fireplacestoreonline.com/...flue-gas-fire/

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_...p&fr2=&iscqry=

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
I recall reading that I cannot fit a balanced flue
through a cavity wall (although where the fire is fitted there is only the
outer leaf of bricks behind the fire.

Why not?
I've had a balanced flue boiler through a cavity wall for years?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I recall reading that I cannot fit a balanced flue
through a cavity wall (although where the fire is fitted there is
only the outer leaf of bricks behind the fire.

Why not?
I've had a balanced flue boiler through a cavity wall for years?

I have obviously misinterpreted this on the Magiglo website Q&A

Q. Can I run the ducting from a Duo Power Side Vent through the cavity wall
of my house?
A. Unfortunately no. Building Regulations will not permit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote

I have obviously misinterpreted this on the Magiglo website Q&A

Q. Can I run the ducting from a Duo Power Side Vent through the cavity wall
of my house?
A. Unfortunately no. Building Regulations will not permit.

That does seem a little strange, especially considering the
brochure shows such terminals on what looks very much like a
cavity wall.

I wonder if what they really are responding to is "Can I run the
ducting laterally in the cavity wall of my house?", as opposed to
simply passing straight through it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/21/2014 7:31 AM, Chris J Dixon wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote
I have obviously misinterpreted this on the Magiglo website Q&A

Q. Can I run the ducting from a Duo Power Side Vent through the cavity wall
of my house?
A. Unfortunately no. Building Regulations will not permit.

That does seem a little strange, especially considering the
brochure shows such terminals on what looks very much like a
cavity wall.

I wonder if what they really are responding to is "Can I run the
ducting laterally in the cavity wall of my house?", as opposed to
simply passing straight through it.

That would make sense. Pity the Q&A were so ambiguously written.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote in
:

On 3/21/2014 7:31 AM, Chris J Dixon wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote
I have obviously misinterpreted this on the Magiglo website Q&A

Q. Can I run the ducting from a Duo Power Side Vent through the
cavity wall of my house?
A. Unfortunately no. Building Regulations will not permit.

That does seem a little strange, especially considering the
brochure shows such terminals on what looks very much like a
cavity wall.

I wonder if what they really are responding to is "Can I run the
ducting laterally in the cavity wall of my house?", as opposed to
simply passing straight through it.

That would make sense. Pity the Q&A were so ambiguously written.

It caught me out! I am assuming it meant sideways now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Bob Minchin wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I recall reading that I cannot fit a balanced flue
through a cavity wall (although where the fire is fitted there is
only the outer leaf of bricks behind the fire.

Why not?
I've had a balanced flue boiler through a cavity wall for years?

I have obviously misinterpreted this on the Magiglo website Q&A

Q. Can I run the ducting from a Duo Power Side Vent through the cavity
wall
of my house?
A. Unfortunately no. Building Regulations will not permit.

They must mean running in side the cavity.
http://www.thefirebasket.com/uploads...s_-_BMF167.pdf
See Pare 25.

Baz