Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cabinet Hinge Choice

Hey!
I've built a cabinet and I want to make doors that will be semi-rebated if thats the right term. Anyway, I want them to overlap the front of the cabinet about a 6mm so the 21mm thick cabinet door timber will be inset to the frame about 15mm.

---------+ overlap dimensions about 5/6mm square.
door +--+
| +------------------------
21mm | |
thick | | cabinet stile/frame. (28mm thick)
------+ | (28mm thick)

+--------------------------

If I use bog std butt hinge the overlap on the hinge edge will clash with the stile.
I'd prefer to avoid using kitchen cabinet hinges so what is a suitable hinge to use?

All advice gratefully received.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 March 2014 19:24:02 UTC, rbel wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:40:41 -0700 (PDT),

Hey!

I've built a cabinet and I want to make doors that will be semi-rebated if thats the right term. Anyway, I want them to overlap the front of the cabinet about a 6mm so the 21mm thick cabinet door timber will be inset to the frame about 15mm.

---------+ overlap dimensions about 5/6mm square.

door +--+

| +------------------------

21mm | |

thick | | cabinet stile/frame. (28mm thick)

------+ | (28mm thick)

+--------------------------

If I use bog std butt hinge the overlap on the hinge edge will clash with the stile.

I'd prefer to avoid using kitchen cabinet hinges so what is a suitable hinge to use?

All advice gratefully received.

You may want to have a look at the Hafele online catalogue

http://www.hafele.com/gb/en/external...aloge/TCH2010/

I suggest that you start from section 6 page 3 (select Hinges,stays

and runners from the dropdown) which gives an overview of the

categories and browse from there. I have used them for SOSS type

concealed hinges which were excellent.

--

rbel

Thanks.
Do the soss hinges provide a degree of 'moving of the door' away from the stile as it swings open?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:40:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, 20 March 2014 19:24:02 UTC, rbel wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:40:41 -0700 (PDT),

Hey!

I've built a cabinet and I want to make doors that will be semi-rebated if thats the right term. Anyway, I want them to overlap the front of the cabinet about a 6mm so the 21mm thick cabinet door timber will be inset to the frame about 15mm.

---------+ overlap dimensions about 5/6mm square.

door +--+

| +------------------------

21mm | |

thick | | cabinet stile/frame. (28mm thick)

------+ | (28mm thick)

+--------------------------

If I use bog std butt hinge the overlap on the hinge edge will clash with the stile.

I'd prefer to avoid using kitchen cabinet hinges so what is a suitable hinge to use?

All advice gratefully received.

You may want to have a look at the Hafele online catalogue

http://www.hafele.com/gb/en/external...aloge/TCH2010/

I suggest that you start from section 6 page 3 (select Hinges,stays

and runners from the dropdown) which gives an overview of the

categories and browse from there. I have used them for SOSS type

concealed hinges which were excellent.

--

rbel

Thanks.
Do the soss hinges provide a degree of 'moving of the door' away from the stile as it swings open?

No, I was just giving them as an example of the very wide range of
hinge types they stock. I would be surprised if you cannot find
something in their range that is better from an aesthetics standpoint
than the standard kitchen cabinet types.
--
rbel