Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Default Legacy microphone connectors

I could do with some help. We have 100' of microphone cable from
around the 1960's (together with an old ribbon mic and transformer).

The ribbon mic + transformer are not sufficient for our needs and I
bought a modern mic which has XLR type connection. I thought the
cable we had would fit but the cable connectors are a little larger
and have a collar which the modern mic doesn't have.

Did the standards change? Were the old connections proprietory or
standard? How do I get from one to the other?

Thanks for any advice.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave, with swapping the pin config I think the hot/cold got swapped too.
XLRs are normally:
1 screen
2 hot
3 cold
Although (just to be contrary) some older US gear has the opposite phase

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

Dave, with swapping the pin config I think the hot/cold got swapped too.
XLRs are normally:
1 screen
2 hot
3 cold
Although (just to be contrary) some older US gear has the opposite phase

Charles F

Yes. Sorry about not correcting that too.

The idea of that pin configuration is being able to link 1 (screen) and 3
(cold) easily for unbalanced connection. I think.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

But if the other end is wired the same then no difference...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

But if the other end is wired the same then no difference...
--
Tony Sayer

Indeed - but not good practice, when you may not be able to see or check the
other end of a cable, esp. in fixed installantions.

Charles

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article , AnthonyL
writes
I could do with some help. We have 100' of microphone cable from
around the 1960's (together with an old ribbon mic and transformer).

The ribbon mic + transformer are not sufficient for our needs and I
bought a modern mic which has XLR type connection. I thought the
cable we had would fit but the cable connectors are a little larger
and have a collar which the modern mic doesn't have.

Did the standards change? Were the old connections proprietory or
standard? How do I get from one to the other?

Back on topic, what you have sounds like a Reslo connector, used by them
and Grampian (IIRC) and a few others in the 1960s and 1970s.

They're identifiable thus:

- the pins are fatter than those of XLRs, but still in a fairly even
triangle

- there's a clamping ring with a screwthread, and

- a fat indexing lug on the side of the connector (around 1/16"), and a
slot cut in the side of the mic receptacle (not a groove per XLRs).

It's just possible that it's a Coles connector - that has the three pins
in a flatter triangle, almost a straight line. There's no clamping ring,
but a slot at right-angles to the connector (there's a pin in the mic
that catches in this to lock the connector in place.

The Reslo/Grampian style were common in the BBC and elsewhere for
lower-grade mic uses such as talkback. You often found them on the end
of goosenecks. Mics using that connector were in production well into
the 1980s, pretty much all were unpowered, moving coil.

The Coles ones are still current, for a very small range of mics
(4038s), as they're retro-styling and buyers like that consistency.

As others have suggested, you can simply cut the cable and insert XLRs
to extend it or shorten it as much as you wish.

Ribbon mics were often made to 30 Ohms. This was for two reasons: it was
an early mic impedance standard, because it worked well on long
twisted-pair cable runs (lower losses), and, because ribbons have an
extremely low resistance, the impedance-converting transformer at the
mic end could be cheaper (the bigger the impedance change in one jump,
the harder it is to make a suitable audio-grade transformer).

Prior to XLR ubiquity, BBC studio wallboxes used to use Cannon EP-8
connectors for mic cables. The eight pins included connections to an
impedance matching transformer built into the wallbox, specifically for
low-Z mics, so the mixer only saw around 300 Ohms. So the mic cable
wiring went to different pins on the EP-8 depending on its impedance!

If your (Reslo?) mic still works, there's a good market for it on eBay,
but you'll need to sell it with the transformer, otherwise the buyer
will probably wonder why the output is low and covered in hum!

S.
--
SimonM
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On 19/03/2014 08:17, Charles F wrote:

Dave, with swapping the pin config I think the hot/cold got swapped too.
XLRs are normally:
1 screen
2 hot
3 cold

I remember by saying to myself 'Screen-Line-Return', Pins 1-2-3, 'SLR',
which is ****ed talk for 'XLR' :-)

Although (just to be contrary) some older US gear has the opposite phase

And the Japanese use the opposing sex, males for inputs, females for
outputs. A few OB companies use the same sex for everything on their
tailboards and external cable reels, that way they can never have the
cables the wrong way round !

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
SpamTrapSeeSig wrote:
It's just possible that it's a Coles connector - that has the three pins
in a flatter triangle, almost a straight line. There's no clamping ring,
but a slot at right-angles to the connector (there's a pin in the mic
that catches in this to lock the connector in place.

Wouldn't that correctly be called an STC connecter? Coles being the later
owner of the brand?

FWIW, that connector is called a thistle at the BBC as it first appeared
on the STC moving coil apple and biscuit or thistle mic. 4021? Also used
on the classic 4038 ribbon and 4033 'guiness bottle'.

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
And the Japanese use the opposing sex, males for inputs, females for
outputs. A few OB companies use the same sex for everything on their
tailboards and external cable reels, that way they can never have the
cables the wrong way round !

In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way. Ie, the
output being a female. It was only when phantom power arrived that it was
changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using XLR for things like 100v
line speakers followed the original convention - as did some line level
things like tape recorders. Basically rather confusing. ;-)

--
*Beware - animal lover - brakes for pussy*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
And the Japanese use the opposing sex, males for inputs, females for
outputs. A few OB companies use the same sex for everything on their
tailboards and external cable reels, that way they can never have the
cables the wrong way round !

In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way. Ie, the
output being a female. It was only when phantom power arrived that it was
changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using XLR for things like 100v
line speakers followed the original convention - as did some line level
things like tape recorders. Basically rather confusing. ;-)

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

A colleague had to attend to the charred remains of a cheap mixing desk
that had the lethal (literally) combination a figure of 8 power
connector, and someone plugging it up blind, by reaching over the back.

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

SpamTrapSeeSig wrote:
It's just possible that it's a Coles connector - that has the three pins
in a flatter triangle, almost a straight line. There's no clamping ring,
but a slot at right-angles to the connector (there's a pin in the mic
that catches in this to lock the connector in place.

Wouldn't that correctly be called an STC connecter? Coles being the later
owner of the brand?

Probably, but available from Coles now. I'm not sure if the latest 4038
incarnation is that or XLR - I suspect it's still the old one.

FWIW, that connector is called a thistle at the BBC as it first appeared
on the STC moving coil apple and biscuit or thistle mic. 4021? Also used
on the classic 4038 ribbon and 4033 'guiness bottle'.

Yes. There's one on the 4021 I own. Time was when they were 'bowled' up
over the girders of the stand roofs at football grounds for crowd FX* -
handy to have a strong plug-socket combination in that context.

S.

* usually the version with the integral windshield - can't remember the
type #.

--
SimonM
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way. Ie,
the output being a female. It was only when phantom power arrived that
it was changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using XLR for things
like 100v line speakers followed the original convention - as did some
line level things like tape recorders. Basically rather confusing. ;-)

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

A colleague had to attend to the charred remains of a cheap mixing desk
that had the lethal (literally) combination a figure of 8 power
connector, and someone plugging it up blind, by reaching over the back.

Luckily that figure of 8 mains connector was never used on pro gear. Which
would have an earth too.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:28:25 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way. Ie, the
output being a female. It was only when phantom power arrived that it was
changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using XLR for things like 100v
line speakers followed the original convention - as did some line level
things like tape recorders. Basically rather confusing. ;-)

I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in the
1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming with
female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering for
Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry to
change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired equipment
which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR sex adaptors just
to be safe.

Jim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:56:54 +0000, Mark Carver wrote:

A few OB companies use the same sex for everything on their tailboards
and external cable reels, that way they can never have the cables the
wrong way round !

Well there is no excuse anyway:

"Always run away with the female"

or for female sound assistants:

"The male end goes in".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Jim Guthrie wrote:
I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in the
1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming with
female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering for
Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry to
change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired equipment
which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR sex adaptors just
to be safe.

Far worse was Anglia TV - they used the wrong sex for LNE mains. So OB
types had to carry adaptors for use on shared sites.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim Guthrie wrote:
I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in the
1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming with
female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering for
Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry to
change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired equipment
which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR sex adaptors just
to be safe.

Far worse was Anglia TV - they used the wrong sex for LNE mains.

So in the late 60s did BBC RD.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article , Charles F
scribeth thus

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

But if the other end is wired the same then no difference...
--
Tony Sayer

Indeed - but not good practice, when you may not be able to see or check the
other end of a cable, esp. in fixed installantions.

Charles

No course not but I have seen them wired with just white cables so a
continuo check was needed to determine polarity...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way. Ie, the
output being a female. It was only when phantom power arrived that it was
changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using XLR for things like 100v
line speakers followed the original convention - as did some line level
things like tape recorders. Basically rather confusing. ;-)

I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in the
1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming with
female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering for
Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry to
change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired equipment
which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR sex adaptors just
to be safe.

I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

What's the difference?

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:50:31 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

What's the difference?

Who would you like to have gender with? :-)

Reminds me of explaining the difference ebtween education and training.

You wouldn't mind a school giving (say) your daughter some sex education.
But sex training???

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On 19/03/2014 10:56, Mark Carver wrote:
On 19/03/2014 08:17, Charles F wrote:

Dave, with swapping the pin config I think the hot/cold got swapped too.
XLRs are normally:
1 screen
2 hot
3 cold

I remember by saying to myself 'Screen-Line-Return', Pins 1-2-3, 'SLR',
which is ****ed talk for 'XLR' :-)

A common mnemonic is:

1 eXternal i.e. screen
2 Live hot/+ve audio
3 Return cold/-ve audio

For more than you wanted to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_con...ee_pin_-_audio

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

What's the difference?

Words have gender, people have sex.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

In the early days of XLR, they were used in the conventional way.
Ie, the output being a female. It was only when phantom power
arrived that it was changed round for mics, for H&S reasons. Using
XLR for things like 100v line speakers followed the original
convention - as did some line level things like tape recorders.
Basically rather confusing. ;-)

I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in the
1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming with
female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering for
Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry to
change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired equipment
which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR sex adaptors just
to be safe.

Jim.

The Nagra III had a male XLR input. I was told it was because there
wasn't a female right-angled XLR chassis mounted connector.

--
Ashley. Nagra service engineer 1969-75
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

charles wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim Guthrie wrote:
I do remember the changeover in the BBC Film Units which was in
the 1970s. I think the Nagra IVS recorders started it, coming
with female sockets on the recorder to provide phantom powering
for Sennheiser mics. But it took a time for all of the industry
to change and you could often get the "wrong" sex on hired
equipment which meant carrying around several back-to-back XLR
sex adaptors just to be safe.

Far worse was Anglia TV - they used the wrong sex for LNE mains.

So in the late 60s did BBC RD.

It was confusing as correct way had live pins!

--
Ashley

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
XLR connections are thus

1 3

2

I'm an idiot - should be

1 2

3

The whole point in posting it is it doesn't look logical. ;-)

-- *Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave, with swapping the pin config I think the hot/cold got swapped
too. XLRs are normally:
1 screen
2 hot
3 cold
Although (just to be contrary) some older US gear has the opposite
phase

Charles F

Also on the female XLR, pin 1 has a longer socket so it's the first to
mate and last to break avoiding a burst of hum when plugging and
unplugging live circuits.

I rather fancied have a car reg plate XLR311c

--

Ashley

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:50:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

What's the difference?

Well, inaminate objects don't _have_ sex but they can be described as
having a gender which is a more polite reference used as a matter of
convention, even though the terms male and female aren't normally
associated with the word gender when applied to people (masculine and
feminine are the normal adjectives in this case).

The mixed use of gender with male and female emphasizes the fact that
it's objects rather than people. Also, you'll find that components
catalogues will use 'gender' for this purpose without any mention of
the word 'sex' (other than perhaps machine translations from Chinese
or Korean catalogues).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 19:50:15 -0500, Ashley Booth wrote:

Also on the female XLR, pin 1 has a longer socket so it's the first to
mate and last to break avoiding a burst of hum when plugging and
unplugging live circuits.

If a balanced circuit buzzes/hums depending on the state of the
screen something else is wrong as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Graham Nye wrote:
In article ,
Johny B Good wrote:
I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

What's the difference?

Words have gender, people have sex.

So you can no longer refer to the male sex? Or a difference between the
sexes? It now only refers to the act?

Collins GEM English Dictionary
gender n. state of being male or female, sex; Grammar classification of
nouns in certain languages as masculine, feminine, or neuter.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

XLRs are universally used for the 24VDC charger connection on disability
equipment. From memory 1 is +, 2 is -, 3 inhibits operation if the
charger is connected.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Mark Carver wrote:

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

My three year old once proved that a shuko male is a perfect fit for the
nostrils of a large sleeping labrador (also male).

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Johny B Good wrote:

I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

Many young people are confused about these issues.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

On 22/03/2014 02:57, Bill Wright wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

My three year old once proved that a shuko male is a perfect fit for the
nostrils of a large sleeping labrador (also male).

On a related subject, I was told this week that South Africa have
decided to migrate themselves from 15 Amp round pin mains connectors, to
our BS1363 13A scheme. How long will that take I wonder ?

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
XLRs are universally used for the 24VDC charger connection on disability
equipment. From memory 1 is +, 2 is -, 3 inhibits operation if the
charger is connected.

In TV, we use 4 pin versions for low volt DC.

But not really a problem using the 3 pin for something like this.

It was much more of a problem when some of the lighting rigs in TV studios
started using 3 pin XLRs for their control circuits.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
XLRs are universally used for the 24VDC charger connection on
disability equipment. From memory 1 is +, 2 is -, 3 inhibits operation
if the charger is connected.

In TV, we use 4 pin versions for low volt DC.

But not really a problem using the 3 pin for something like this.

It was much more of a problem when some of the lighting rigs in TV studios
started using 3 pin XLRs for their control circuits.

Those should be 5 pin, but the bottom end of the market felt 3 pin were
more easily available.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , Bill Wright
writes:
Johny B Good wrote:

I think you meant "Gender Benders". In fact, you seem to have misused
'sex' for 'gender' elsewhere in your post. :-)

Many young people are confused about these issues.

Bill

LOL!
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

A lot of people think that being skinny is the happy ending, and its not.
Being happy is the happy ending. - Sarah Millican, in Radio Times 3-9 March
2012
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Mark Carver wrote:

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

My three year old once proved that a shuko male is a perfect fit for the
nostrils of a large sleeping labrador (also male).

On a related subject, I was told this week that South Africa have
decided to migrate themselves from 15 Amp round pin mains connectors,
to our BS1363 13A scheme. How long will that take I wonder ?

Hmm. Bad choice IMO - I've seen a lot of people sing the praises of the
BS1363 scheme, but IMO although it was good at the time it was devised,
it is now far too big a connector for the vast majority of the time,
when there are far more devices that take well under 1A than those
needing anywhere near 13. (And I've never seen a BS1362 fuse rated below
2A, and you can't get less than 3A in most places.) (And yes, I know the
"it's to protect the cable" line.)

I suppose, _if_ you're going to standardise on one plug for everything,
even though this makes most of them far too big, you've got to do so,
though I'd have chosen something other than BS1363 - IEC320, or Schuko,
or ...

One of the worst things about BS1363 is that, in its default form, if
you just leave a lead lying on the floor, it is more likely than not to
settle with its pins up. Just waiting for a bare foot to come along. You
only have to tread on one ONCE to know how bad it is.

As for how long it will take RSA - well, I suppose one could say it's
_just_ about reached universality here, and we're a more prosperous
nation than a lot of RSA ... (When did it come out - 195x? [I think the
"shrouded pins" bit was 197x.])
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

A lot of people think that being skinny is the happy ending, and its not.
Being happy is the happy ending. - Sarah Millican, in Radio Times 3-9 March
2012
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

Mark Carver wrote:

Also, a female 'Telefunken figure of 8' power connector is a perfect fit
for the two 'horizontal' pins in a 3-pin XLR male.

My three year old once proved that a shuko male is a perfect fit for the
nostrils of a large sleeping labrador (also male).

On a related subject, I was told this week that South Africa have
decided to migrate themselves from 15 Amp round pin mains connectors, to
our BS1363 13A scheme. How long will that take I wonder ?

20 years or more.

When I was there I worked for a German company. The factory was wired
with German sockets throughout.

I had emigrated with loads of UK gear including fortunately several UK
13A extension leads. I kept all my gear on that.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

When I was there I worked for a German company. The factory was wired
with German sockets throughout.

A lot of hotel rooms I've stayed in there, have shuko sockets on the
walls above the desks etc, alongside the 15A ones. And wall warts and
phone chargers etc that are sold and supplied there are normally 2 pin
shuko style.

So as JPG suggested, would make more sense to migrate towards shuko,
rather than BS1363

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
XLRs are universally used for the 24VDC charger connection on
disability equipment. From memory 1 is +, 2 is -, 3 inhibits operation
if the charger is connected.

In TV, we use 4 pin versions for low volt DC.

But not really a problem using the 3 pin for something like this.

It was much more of a problem when some of the lighting rigs in TV
studios
started using 3 pin XLRs for their control circuits.

Those should be 5 pin, but the bottom end of the market felt 3 pin were
more easily available.

And lighting can borrow/steal cables from the sound dept!

Charles F