Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gave the lawn its first cut...

.... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the car!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2014 19:30, John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Just cut most of mine with the old electric. B***r it's hard work. Must
get that real one.

Most of the lawn because I don't have a wire long enough.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the
car!

Did my two yesterday after being 'threatened' by SWMBO - and power washed
the two patios as a bonus for her. Anything for a quiet life these days.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2014 22:54, Cash wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the
car!

Did my two yesterday after being 'threatened' by SWMBO - and power washed
the two patios as a bonus for her. Anything for a quiet life these days.

I think washing the patio (and strimming the stuff growing through it
the ought not be) I will save for next week!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
On 16/03/2014 22:54, Cash wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the
car!

Did my two yesterday after being 'threatened' by SWMBO - and power washed
the two patios as a bonus for her. Anything for a quiet life these days.

I think washing the patio (and strimming the stuff growing through it the
ought not be) I will save for next week!

Ahhhh, but if you retire, you could do it tomorrow
As could I, but I shan't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah) lead
acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the car!

--
Cheers,

Our pond is full of toads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-16, John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Mower starter batteries lead a very hard life and I normally only expect
them to last 2 or 3 years.

Oh dear - maybe I'll need to think about a new one for mine then - its on
its 9th season now and only charges when the mower is in use. The
separate charger is still in its box.

--
David P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the car!

Assuming it's not been let go totally flat anything up to about 12 years.
Or 3 if you're unlucky.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-16, John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Mower starter batteries lead a very hard life and I normally only expect
them to last 2 or 3 years.

IF you remove them for the winter and recharge them, the do a lot more
than that.

sub zero and flat is what kills my batteries.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
On 16/03/2014 22:54, Cash wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about
20Ah) lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start
the car!

Did my two yesterday after being 'threatened' by SWMBO - and power
washed the two patios as a bonus for her. Anything for a quiet life
these days.

I think washing the patio (and strimming the stuff growing through
it the ought not be) I will save for next week!

Ahhhh, but if you retire, you could do it tomorrow
As could I, but I shan't.

I am retired (or think I am), but what SWMBO says in the way of garden
maintenance (or any work for that matter, must well be mmm obeyed! And that
includes grandchild sitting - where they [both sexes] enjoy using bamp's
tools in his workshop [1], [2]

At least she does all the domestic stuff though - AND she does supply me
with odd bottle of 'sustenance and pain-killer' now and again (Jack Daniel's
that is BTW) and a glass or two a night is very restorative. vbg

[1] Their next project is to make a plant container out some decking for
their nan's new Japanese Acer - (shhhh, that's a secret that must be kept
from SWMBO though until they give her the finished product.

[2] For those here concerned about H & S. The youngsters are banned from
using power tools - other than cordless drills - and it never ceases to
amaze me what they can turn out just using the 'old fashioned method' of
hand-tool use (and my tools are bloody old, with one of them inherited from
an undertaker who last used it about a century ago [a Disston Rip Saw]).

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2014 08:42, harryagain wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah) lead
acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the car!

--
Cheers,

Our pond is full of toads.

Ours if full of murky green water as usual... (and lots of fish, but
they have not popped up this year yet)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-16, John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Mower starter batteries lead a very hard life and I normally only expect
them to last 2 or 3 years.

Oh dear - maybe I'll need to think about a new one for mine then - its on
its 9th season now and only charges when the mower is in use. The
separate charger is still in its box.

I'm impressed. Until I bought a battery conditioner for mine, the winter
off season would kill them stone dead, so I was only getting one cutting
season out of each one. Now, providing I remember to keep them topped
up, they last much longer.

So far I have done nothing special with mine (this will be its 6th
winter just passed) and each time I have left in in the garage, and not
touched it till the next cutting season. Its always jumped straight into
life.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the car!

Assuming it's not been let go totally flat anything up to about 12 years.
Or 3 if you're unlucky.

Have yo see how it fairs next cut. It should have had a good charge last
time since it was running for a couple of hours. (I also topped up its
water (with some out of the tumble drier!))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2014 08:42, harryagain wrote:
Our pond is full of toads.

The newts are eating the frogspawn in ours. They won't eat it all of
course, and in a bit the tadpoles will be eating the newt larvae. First
time I've ever seen this "in the wild".

What comes around...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-17, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/03/2014 08:42, harryagain wrote:
Our pond is full of toads.

The newts are eating the frogspawn in ours.

I tried to introduce frogs to our garden pond for 4 or 5 years on the trot,
but the newts ate them all.

(

I have both, but the frogs were well established before the newts appeared.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 2014-03-17, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/03/2014 08:42, harryagain wrote:
Our pond is full of toads.

The newts are eating the frogspawn in ours.

I tried to introduce frogs to our garden pond for 4 or 5 years on the trot,
but the newts ate them all.

(

I have both, but the frogs were well established before the newts appeared.

Likewise.

Lots of Toads currently as above.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 2014-03-17, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/03/2014 08:42, harryagain wrote:
Our pond is full of toads.

The newts are eating the frogspawn in ours.

I tried to introduce frogs to our garden pond for 4 or 5 years on the
trot,
but the newts ate them all.

(

I have both, but the frogs were well established before the newts
appeared.

Likewise.

Lots of Toads currently as above.

I also have a couple of ducks appeared. They eat everything.
They refuse to be chased off, you would think they were domesticated.
Eat all the expensive koi food as well from my other pond.

Also grass snakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:30:34 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

... and for the first time had to jump start the mower!

Wonder what the life expectancy of a small ish (probably about 20Ah)
lead acid car battery is supposed to be?

Still, spose its fair enough - used the mower once to jump start the
car!

I have saved thousands of dollars over the last 25 years by not having a
lawn. So, no lawnmower or fuel or battery needed, and no lawnmower
injuries. I have crushed limestone over all the flat areas.
That also reflects the sunlight and reduces the Urban Heat Island effect.
And no fossil fuel used!