Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking off a chimney

We are reworking the lounge fireplace to hold TV and audio boxes.

The plan is to block off the chimney around head height, and run the
cables from the TV back into the chimney and then down to the boxen so all
is nice and concealed.

However that leaves the rest of the chimney above the sealing plate.

Plan is to put some kind of cover on top of the chimney to stop birds and
rain falling down it, and a ventilator to the outside above the sealing
plate so that hopefully a flow of air will prevent condensation.

However there is still the possibility of e.g. a small dead bird falling
down the chimney.

So should we put a bit more access into the chimney (say 2 or 3 bricks
out) to allow access in case of un-located smell?

Or is this just me worrying too much?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2014 14:33, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
We are reworking the lounge fireplace to hold TV and audio boxes.

The plan is to block off the chimney around head height, and run the
cables from the TV back into the chimney and then down to the boxen so all
is nice and concealed.

However that leaves the rest of the chimney above the sealing plate.

Plan is to put some kind of cover on top of the chimney to stop birds and
rain falling down it, and a ventilator to the outside above the sealing
plate so that hopefully a flow of air will prevent condensation.

However there is still the possibility of e.g. a small dead bird falling
down the chimney.

So should we put a bit more access into the chimney (say 2 or 3 bricks
out) to allow access in case of un-located smell?

Or is this just me worrying too much?

If you put a ventilated cap on to block the chimney top while letting it
breathe, you shouldn't need any access, but a small hatch would probably
be a good idea.

If you don't bird proof the top, you will get birds nesting in it, and
it will quickly fill up with twigs, feathers and other detritus, which
will fester nicely when it rains.

I had a house with a chimney that wasn't used regularly a while ago, and
every Autumn, I got enough twigs and wool out of it to keep me in
kindling for most of the Winter.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Blocking up a chimney ? Adrian UK diy 5 March 9th 08 03:51 PM
Blocking off inside a Chimney - ideas bp UK diy 6 July 6th 07 12:01 PM
blocking off chimney flues Roger UK diy 1 March 19th 07 07:41 AM
wiring chimney style cooker hood:power socket inside chimney [email protected] UK diy 9 December 18th 06 07:19 PM
Brick Chimney Peak Fell Inside Chimney During Heavy Rain/ Lightning Storm Mike Home Repair 8 June 27th 06 11:16 PM