Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Limescale remover

What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/14 15:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Brian

I found formic acid very good - worked cold and very quicky. That was
years ago when Boots actually sold stuff.

A lot of cleaners are based on citric acid now - ones that foam slightly
are usually OK as it holds the acid in place long enough to work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 03:49 PM, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Brian

My missus like Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Grime and Lime !
They also do Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Lime Scale and Shine, which I
guess is much the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2014 15:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

I use hydrochloric acid, sold by my local ironmonger as spirits of salt.
I have recently seen Coka Cola poured into the WC pan and left overnight
suggested, but have yet to try it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/14 15:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Brian

fit a softener..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;

Edinburgh tap water. When I brought an electric kettle here from
Cambridge, the scale vanished within a few weeks.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the toilet?
I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost have
limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Porcelain - Hydrochloric acid. First, make sure any other cleaners are
well flushed from the pan and pipework. Use a small amount of brick
acid squirted around sides of the pan and left to run into the U trap.
Then leave it for a while (like overnight). Some chlorine may be given
off, which if the loo seat is closed can corrode some of the metal
seat hinges, so leave the seat up, and the window open a crack.
Next morning, flush the acid away and then clean the bowl with the
toilet brush, and the grime should come off easily. Flush again to
see if it's clean and to help flush the acid out of the pipework.
Don't put heavy effort into the brushing - if some is still stuck,
a repeat treatment with acid is required. If you have cast iron soil
pipes, it probably isn't a good idea to do this too often.

Vitreous Enamel (steel bath) - This is much harder - most chemicals
which will dissolve hard water scale also take the highly polished
finish off the enamel, so prevention is much easier than cure. I
have done it with proprietary bath cleaners which state they're OK
on vitreous enamel, together with using a thumbnail, but it was
slow work, and not viable on a whole bath. Many baths have been
treated with acids already and lost their polished surface and
consequently get dirty easily, at which point it probably doesn't
matter much descaler you use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fit a softener..

+1
Might seem like a "sledgehammer to crack a walnut" option but the
MASSIVE amount of time it's saved me and the fortune it's saved in
"viakal" (sp) etc has paid for it's self many times over.

Pete@

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Commercial Gym Equipment made in England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:49:03 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

What is the best remover for this these days that won;
't destroy the shine underneeth on a bath and take the glaze of the
toilet?

We find that the supermarket own brand "100% limescale" loo descalers
work well enough but they aren't quick but no different in time to
what others have been saying about brick acid. On the bath you don't
want to get brick acid near anything metal/plated.

I am sure its got a lot worse in the last couple of years, I almost
have limescale icicales forming on my taps!

Ask the water board for the test results on your supply going back
over say the last ten years. Might need to use the FOI Act and cost
you a tenner.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/14 08:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Many baths have been
treated with acids already and lost their polished surface and
consequently get dirty easily, at which point it probably doesn't
matter much descaler you use.

have been treated with scourers...

use T-cut.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2014 08:50, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Some chlorine may be given
off, which if the loo seat is closed can corrode some of the metal
seat hinges, so leave the seat up, and the window open a crack.

It's probably actually HCl gas. But your advice stands.

Andy

Toilet limescale remover and shower head john Macreedy UK diy 14 February 6th 11 11:38 AM
limescale remover magic device ronald UK diy 5 February 1st 10 09:37 AM
Magnetised limescale remover. soup UK diy 8 May 13th 06 10:39 AM
Limescale Neil UK diy 5 January 24th 06 11:00 PM
Removing limescale Chris Styles UK diy 25 July 27th 05 08:55 PM