Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gloss/Satin

Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the
same dire warnings about high VOCs.

The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior.

Why's that then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the
same dire warnings about high VOCs.

The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior.

Why's that then?

Non-gloss paints include additives that have a side-effect of increasing
the surface area. That makes the finish more susceptible to damage from
water.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2014 20:49, Bernard Peek wrote:
Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the
same dire warnings about high VOCs.

The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior.

Why's that then?

Non-gloss paints include additives that have a side-effect of increasing
the surface area. That makes the finish more susceptible to damage from
water.

Sandtex do their 10 year exterior paint range in both gloss and satin.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnstones also started to offer a Stormshield exterior satin last year
(or possibly 2012). V nice stuff but I wish I could get a better
discount from the local Leyland Decorating Centre when I can't find an
offer to ask them to price -match ;(

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2014 20:49, Bernard Peek wrote:
Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the
same dire warnings about high VOCs.

The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior.

Why's that then?

Non-gloss paints include additives that have a side-effect of increasing
the surface area. That makes the finish more susceptible to damage from
water.

That's the theory I think. All paints start off as gloss and things are
added to make them matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2014 20:49, Bernard Peek wrote:
Two tins of Wilkinsons One Coat paint, both solvent based, both with the
same dire warnings about high VOCs.

The gloss is interior & exterior, the satin only interior.

Why's that then?

Non-gloss paints include additives that have a side-effect of increasing
the surface area. That makes the finish more susceptible to damage from
water.

Yer but, no but, yer but....I looked at the Crown range today & both