Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbietothis

Default satin or gloss woodstain?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between satin
and gloss exterior woodstain (Ronseal Quick Drying) i.e. apart from a
difference in reflectivity are there any advantages/good reasons for
choosing one over the other.

All advice gratefully received.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbietothis

Thanks Rob. Thing is I have found a good colour match with my existing
windows. Is it the 'Quick Drying' bit that points to a tinted varnish
i.e. if I were to go for same color in 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain'
instead (http://www.ronseal.com/prodshow.asp?...odID=38&gID=32)
would that be better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbietothis

It looks like 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain' is only for exterior wood?

How about 'Ronseal Interior & Exterior Woodstain'
(http://www.ronseal.com/prodshow.asp?...odID=39&gID=32), it
says it 'flexes with the wood'? I need to stain both interior and
exterior sides of window. Is this better than quick dry?

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
newbietothis

Nightmare, 'Ronseal Interior & Exterior Woodstain' doesn't come in the
color I want (Golden Cedar). So it looks like I am back to 'Quick
Drying Woodstain' unless 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain' can be used
internally too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:01:06 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between satin
and gloss exterior woodstain (Ronseal Quick Drying) i.e. apart from a
difference in reflectivity are there any advantages/good reasons for
choosing one over the other.

Why not give Ronseal a call and ask about 5 yr vs internal/external?

I'd avoid them both - they are not stains, but tinted varnish, so when
they peel (which they probably will at some point) they will look patchy
and horrible. If you want to change the colour of the wood use a
spirit-based stain, if you want to varnish then use clear. Maybe I'm
just a reactionary old git, and people will be along in a minute to say
how convenient and durable the new-technology finishes are ...

Mmm, tempting! Ever tried using spirit stain on pine...

cheers,
Pete.