Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Splitting an ethernet line

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

Many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Local hero" wrote in message
o.uk...

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

Many thanks

Local hub? - they are cheap as chips these days

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Thursday, 6 March 2014 21:03:24 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Local hero" wrote in message

o.uk...

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my

existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two

computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy

switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same

time.

Many thanks

Local hub? - they are cheap as chips these days

Andrew

Cheap switch eg TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5 Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch,
Google it.

Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/14 21:05, Al wrote:
On Thursday, 6 March 2014 21:03:24 UTC, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Local hero" wrote in message

o.uk...

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my

existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two

computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy

switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same

time.

Many thanks

Local hub? - they are cheap as chips these days

Andrew

Cheap switch eg TP-LINK TL-SF1005D 5 Port 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch,
Google it.

Probably even cheaper if you search for Ethernet Switch on Amazon or
Ebay and buy the cheapest. You will also need two patch-cables. The
existing Ethernet cable plugs into the switch then you use Ethernet
patch cables to connect each of the computers to the switch. You can use
both computers simultaneously and can use the network to copy files
between them.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 21:18, Bernard Peek wrote:
You can use both computers simultaneously and can use the network to
copy files between them.

.... and you can share your printer(s) between the two PCs without
juggling cables. And use each PC to back-up the user data of the other.
And log in from one PC to t'other, thus avoiding cluttering your desktop
with two keyboards, mice and screens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:54:32 -0600, Local hero wrote:

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover?

Two "cable economisers" (assuming you aren't running gigabit).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Cab.../dp/B000Q6EC0C

A couple of
couplers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1001Cables-C...ernet-straight
/dp/B000HWXUIA/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

And four patch
cables:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5e...e/dp/B000121Y7
0/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1394149635&sr=1-4&keywords=patch+
cable+1m

And at least one more free port on your router/modem/switch.

Wozzat 20 quid? Think a 5 port switch for between £5 and £10 is an
awful lot simpler and cheaper... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 20:54, Local hero wrote:
Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

A switch is the obvious answer, but an alternative is that if one of the
machines has two ethernet ports then connect the other machine and the
incoming cable to that, and then bridge the interfaces in the network
control panel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

By the tone of your posting, it seems you're not in the habit of
routinely transferring files between different computers on your LAN,
just after easy access to the internet.

On that basis, a cheap 5 port 10/100 Mps ethernet switch will be your
best solution (along with a couple of 2 or 3 metre ethernet patch
cords).

If the new desktop computer only raises the PC count to two and the
old one only has a fast ethernet (100Mbps) LAN port, this solution
will nicely fit your requirements and more (I'll leave it to others to
explain the "and more" bit).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:54:32 -0600, Local hero wrote:

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

How many ethernet ports does the router have?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 23:51, nemo wrote:

And log in from one PC to t'other, thus avoiding cluttering your desktop
with two keyboards, mice and screens.

Or get a KVM switch to allow one mouse, keyboard and screen to be shared
and alternated between the two PCs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One of those network extenders or a network switcher which extends the
address range too. I could never make it work the way you porpose with the
second one hanging dead on a plug, Too much load I'd imagine.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Local hero" wrote in message
o.uk...
Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Local hero" wrote:

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant
room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an
easy switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the
same time.

Many thanks

I have a similar question:
I have the main PC and the modem/router in one room, and one cable goes
from there to the next room. There, it is physically either connected
to the PVR, or to another cable that eventually connects up to a PC at
the far end of the house. There is only space for the one cable between
the two rooms, to be connected to either the PVR or the distant PC.
Would a simple 5-port Switch, as shown:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2C3 19
allow me to keep both devices connected at all times? Both devices have
their own local Fixed IP addresses already.

Thank you to Local hero for starting this thread.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Local hero" wrote:

[...]

Yes.

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/14 08:13, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 14:54:32 -0600, Local hero wrote:

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

How many ethernet ports does the router have?

acutuially you CAN send TWO sets of 100MPS ethernet down a single
cable..but its an awful hack...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/14 10:49, Toby wrote:
On 07/03/2014 10:33, Davey wrote:

I have the main PC and the modem/router in one room, and one cable goes
from there to the next room. There, it is physically either connected
to the PVR, or to another cable that eventually connects up to a PC at
the far end of the house. There is only space for the one cable between
the two rooms, to be connected to either the PVR or the distant PC.
Would a simple 5-port Switch, as shown:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...%2Caps%2C3 19

allow me to keep both devices connected at all times? Both devices have
their own local Fixed IP addresses already.

Thank you to Local hero for starting this thread.

Yes.

Only proviso being that if both devices are using the samelink they will
contend for the throughput.

Unless you have two servers on the network though, this is scarcely an
issue.

the only time you might see an effect is if one PC is dumping massive
data to - say - a printer on the network, and the other finds its access
to - say - the internet - is disrupted thereby.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/14 20:54, Local hero wrote:
Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an easy
switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the same
time.

Many thanks

just buy a weensy switch, or make one computer a bridge with a second
ethernet card...a 4 port switch is peanuts to buyy

-- TP link 100Mps at 6 quid and a bit from 'Amazin'

Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Local hero wrote:

Hi - I'm about to buy a new desktop computer, but plan to use my
existing one as well from time to time in the same area.

But I only have one incoming cable from the router in the relevant
room.

I would prefer not having to keep on moving the cable between the two
computers

What is the easist way of having both computers linked in, with an
easy switchover? I doubt I would ever want to have both online at the
same time.

Many thanks

Thanks for the replies - all are copied out to study and decide on once
the new computer arrives. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 17:44, Local hero wrote:
Local hero wrote:

Thanks for the replies - all are copied out to study and decide on once
the new computer arrives. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

The simplest and In My Experience is a small gigabit switch.
I expect your router is gigabit anyway but a gigabit switch is backwards
compatible and can have 10/100/1000 Kb devices plugged in and happily
chatting away.

Just done the same thing in my sons bedroom where I had only installed a
single ethernet socket but with the advent of "smart" TV, HI-Fi with
"internet radio" and wanting to plug a laptop in, just utilised an old 5
port Netgear switch.

Got to add one to the front room too as PVR, and various games consoles
mean the 2 sockets originally fitted aren't enough.
A switch is literally plug+go no technical knowledge or ability required.
http://www.ebuyer.com/428130-tp-link...-case-tl-sg105
Is the one I used but I expect there are cheaper models that will suffice..

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Damn... Avast must have updated it's self and slipped a shifty little
advert line in.... Gone now though (I think)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2014 17:29, Tim Streater wrote:

protection is active.

Damn... Avast must have updated it's self and slipped a shifty little
advert line in.... Gone now though (I think)

What email?

Exactly.
It decided that a usenet/news post could be bundled in with "insert note
into clean message (outgoing)"

General settingsactive protectionmail shieldbehaviour

Business as usual.

TV over ethernet RJH[_2_] UK diy 22 February 7th 14 10:40 AM
OT Ethernet Cable DerbyBoy UK diy 33 January 8th 12 06:54 PM
Ethernet over 2 CU's T i m UK diy 9 August 13th 10 09:03 PM
Ethernet Hub [email protected] Electronic Schematics 1 October 25th 08 05:51 PM
ethernet over mains Andy Burns[_3_] UK diy 17 March 15th 08 12:27 PM