Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ethernet over mains

I seem to remember there are a few fans of it in here, this might be of
interest

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...-power-socket/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
I seem to remember there are a few fans of it in here, this might be of
interest

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...-power-socket/

That's a brilliant idea.

Only downside I can see to it (in comparison to the regular home-plug
type solutions) is that you can easily move one of the current home-plug
wallwarts to another socket if you need to do so.

For situations where the installation is going to be pretty much
permanent/static, this looks like a very neat solution.

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
I seem to remember there are a few fans of it in here, this might be of
interest

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...-power-socket/

OOOH. Not very green is it? its ON ALL THE TIME. You would need at least
another windmill in your back garden for those...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
I seem to remember there are a few fans of it in here, this might be of
interest

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...-power-socket/

I'm a fan of ethernet over mains. The box is a nice idea, but...

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket (and don't get me started on wall-warts).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2008 22:35, Robin wrote:

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket

The article did mention that, the company claimed it wasn't a problem,
however the also mentioned having a further prototype that rotates the
RJ45 sockets by 90 degrees and lowered them a bit ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 22:49:24 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

On 09/03/2008 22:35, Robin wrote:

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket

The article did mention that, the company claimed it wasn't a problem,
however the also mentioned having a further prototype that rotates the
RJ45 sockets by 90 degrees and lowered them a bit ...

Maybe they'd be better making the depth of the front plate a little greater
and putting the ethernet connections in the edge.

Steve W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-11, Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 22:49:24 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

On 09/03/2008 22:35, Robin wrote:

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket
The article did mention that, the company claimed it wasn't a problem,
however the also mentioned having a further prototype that rotates the
RJ45 sockets by 90 degrees and lowered them a bit ...

Maybe they'd be better making the depth of the front plate a little greater
and putting the ethernet connections in the edge.

Ethernet connections in a mains socket? Pah. That ain't nothing. I was playing
with one of these yesterday;

http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php

Any good? Looks very interesting.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-03-11, Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 22:49:24 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

On 09/03/2008 22:35, Robin wrote:

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket
The article did mention that, the company claimed it wasn't a problem,
however the also mentioned having a further prototype that rotates the
RJ45 sockets by 90 degrees and lowered them a bit ...
Maybe they'd be better making the depth of the front plate a little greater
and putting the ethernet connections in the edge.
Ethernet connections in a mains socket? Pah. That ain't nothing. I was playing
with one of these yesterday;

http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php

Any good? Looks very interesting.

We're still looking at them. Not very much to do with me, since I'm a Unix geek.
My heart sank when I read "Windows CE", though. If all they're going to do is
run a Citrix or RDP client or a web browser, why not use a proper O/S?

The thin client I am most familiar with (and that mainly from supporting
the servers behind them) are by Neoware - now IIRC bought by HP. They
run some *nix. And, unlike many, support two screens.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-03-13, Rod wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2008-03-11, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

They do, at least, state that "Linux implementations are being
investigated by Chip PC's R&D department but there are no timescales for
this as yet" in the FAQ.

I'm kindof surprised they didn't go down the Linux route from the start,
seeing as how they must be paying license fees to bundle WinCE.

Styx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...-power-socket/

I'm a fan of ethernet over mains. The box is a nice idea, but...

The gap between the power socket and the ethernet socket doesn't look
big enough. It looks like a standard size power plug would foul the
ethernet socket (and don't get me started on wall-warts).

Also, looking at the picture with the transparent back-box, I wouldn't
like to try to wire the thing up. There's bugger-all space left for cables.

Pete

Ethernet over mains Elect ac1951 UK diy 13 December 9th 07 04:41 PM
ethernet card glc Electronics Repair 22 December 7th 05 11:22 PM
Wiring home for satellite & ethernet Jim Serio Home Ownership 8 June 27th 05 12:35 AM
Megahertz PCMCIA Ethernet dongle W. Curtiss Priest Electronics Repair 0 January 16th 05 08:06 PM
Equivalent component for Ethernet transformer? Jerome Electronics 0 September 15th 04 03:18 PM