L Reid

Default Telewest Cable Box Removal

During the latest batch of DIY in the dining-room, the Telewest cable box
feeding the house has become loose. I'd like to remove it, and re-fit in a
more stable location but can't get the screws out. As telewest are now
charging £75 per call-out, I'd like to do this myself if I can.

Previous searches have yielded that the screws used are system zero.
However, RS have 3 bit sizes listed on their web site, and I'd ideally like
to know which is the correct one!

Previous article here :

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...readm=elh7bvkh
8o3m33nsp36na8gh038u5cdob5%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dtelewest%2Bca
ble%2Bbox%2Bscrews%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den

RS components here : www.rswww.com

Order nos are : 542-122 for Machine M2-5, 542-116 for Machine M3-5, 542-100
for Machine M6. These are for bits to fit my drill (rather than the
screwdrivers which are a bit more expensive).

Thanks for any replies!

Leigh

Lardman

"L Reid" wrote in message
During the latest batch of DIY in the dining-room, the Telewest cable box
feeding the house has become loose. I'd like to remove it, and re-fit in a
more stable location but can't get the screws out. As telewest are now
charging £75 per call-out, I'd like to do this myself if I can.

SNIP

Took me a while to find these but they're the right ones - I've tried them

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...C+Catalogue&pr
oduct%5Fid=254192

or

http://tinyurl.com/vq48

I cant remember if its the 3.8 or 4.5 - buy both I did.

HTH

Lard.

L Reid

"Lardman" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
During the latest batch of DIY in the dining-room, the Telewest cable

box
feeding the house has become loose. I'd like to remove it, and re-fit in

more stable location but can't get the screws out. As telewest are now
charging £75 per call-out, I'd like to do this myself if I can.

SNIP

Took me a while to find these but they're the right ones - I've tried

them

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...C+Catalogue&pr
oduct%5Fid=254192

or

http://tinyurl.com/vq48

I cant remember if its the 3.8 or 4.5 - buy both I did.

HTH

Lard.

Cheers! They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones. How are
they for delivery (if you know)

Leigh

Lardman

"L Reid" wrote in message

Cheers! They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones. How

are
they for delivery (if you know)

Next Day if ordered before 6:30pm. (assuming stuffs' in stock) they use UPS,
I order stuff regularly never had a problem.Have a browse round the WWW
site - it would be a shame to have to pay 5 quid handling for a 1.30 item.
I think 30 quid is free.

Lard.

tony sayer

In article , L Reid
writes
During the latest batch of DIY in the dining-room, the Telewest cable box
feeding the house has become loose. I'd like to remove it, and re-fit in a
more stable location but can't get the screws out. As telewest are now
charging £75 per call-out, I'd like to do this myself if I can.

Christ what a bloody rip off. Tell them if they don't come and fix it
you're off to Sky and they can then remove it!..

--
Tony Sayer

L Reid

"Lardman" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message

Cheers! They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones. How

are
they for delivery (if you know)

Next Day if ordered before 6:30pm. (assuming stuffs' in stock) they use

UPS,
I order stuff regularly never had a problem.Have a browse round the WWW
site - it would be a shame to have to pay 5 quid handling for a 1.30

item.
I think 30 quid is free.

Lard.

RS is the same, though the item is 3 times the price each so I'm not too
worried about the handling charge. Difference between £15 and £7 so happy!
Might have a look around the website though.

Thanks again,

Leigh

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:37:52 GMT, Lardman wrote:

They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones.

That's normally not that difficult. B-)

Next Day if ordered before 6:30pm. (assuming stuffs' in stock) they
use UPS,

Funny everything I have ever ordered from CPC has been next day via
Royal Mail. I'd be surprised if they use another carrier, their
warehouse is bang next door to an equally massive PO Mail Centre in
Preston. I've ordered past 1900 and have it on my mat 0930 the next
day...

Have a browse round the WWW site - it would be a shame to have to
pay 5 quid handling for a 1.30 item.

He he, CPC has a catalogue that is leathel to the health of ones
wallet.

I think 30 quid is free.

Yep, sliding scale below that at =A35 decrements and =A31 increment in
handling up to =A34.99 @ =A315 nett. I have a DPC with RS so don't pay =

P&P/handling so if I want something *now* it can be cheaper overall to
pay RS's inflated prices rather than cheaper plus handling.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

L Reid

RS is the same, though the item is 3 times the price each so I'm not too
worried about the handling charge. Difference between £15 and £7 so happy!
Might have a look around the website though.

Bah. Out of stock. Looks like RS could be getting my business. Might try
phoning CPC first though.

Bob Eager

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:02:10 UTC, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Funny everything I have ever ordered from CPC has been next day via
Royal Mail.

Small, light items, yes.

I'd be surprised if they use another carrier, their
warehouse is bang next door to an equally massive PO Mail Centre in
Preston.

They stopped using ParcelFarce a while ago. They use UPS now.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

L Reid

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
. 1...
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:37:52 GMT, Lardman wrote:

They also appear to be a good bit cheaper that the RS ones.

That's normally not that difficult. B-)

These guys want £16 for the same item that's on the CPC site!

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/...roducts_id/118
1

Pays to shop around (though they might actually have one in stock!).

Leigh

Ronald

Christ what a bloody rip off. Tell them if they don't come and fix it
you're off to Sky and they can then remove it!..

--
Tony Sayer

I changed to Telewest so that I could get broadband internet and they wanted
75 pounds to transfer my BT phone number. So guess who has a new phone
number.
Ron

Dave Liquorice

On 19 Nov 2003 22:59:42 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Small, light items, yes.

Define "small". I've had boxes up to case of wine size via the PO
admitedly these are sent "letter" post rather than Parcel Force (that
doesn't arrive until 1630 up here). All fairly light, so I guess the
real deciding factor between letter post and UPS is the weight.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

David Micklem

In article , "L Reid"
wrote:

"Lardman" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
[...]

You might want to try local electronic component shops (if you have
any) to save on postage/time. The local one here (H. Gee's in
Cambridge) had both sizes in stock once I knew what to ask for.

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
L Reid

"David Micklem" wrote in message
In article , "L Reid"
wrote:

"Lardman" wrote in message

"L Reid" wrote in message
[...]

I take it that it's not something that Maplin will generally stock? Mind
you, the last few times I was in Maplin after a few things (like a No 6 Torx
driver) they didn't have any. Am I better to ask for a system zero bit
rather than for a 'gamebit' (which is what the CPC ones appear to be)? And
does anyone know whether it's the 3.8 or 4.5 mm bit that's required (I think
the 4.5 is the same as the smallest bit from RS).

Leigh

David Micklem

You might want to try local electronic component shops (if you have
any) to save on postage/time. The local one here (H. Gee's in
Cambridge) had both sizes in stock once I knew what to ask for.

David

I take it that it's not something that Maplin will generally stock? Mind
you, the last few times I was in Maplin after a few things (like a No 6 Torx
driver) they didn't have any. Am I better to ask for a system zero bit
rather than for a 'gamebit' (which is what the CPC ones appear to be)? And
does anyone know whether it's the 3.8 or 4.5 mm bit that's required (I think
the 4.5 is the same as the smallest bit from RS).

Leigh

They knew it as a "Gamebit" but recognized it when I pointed to the
System Zero one in the RS catalog. Maplin were/are useless. The screws
I had (on a toaster) were 4.5, I found out by, um, measuring them.
Can't you get at the heads with a ruler/calipers? Another of the
advantages of the local shop - they said they'd be happy to exchange it
for the smaller size if I had mismeasured.

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee

L Reid

[...]

I'm probably being overcautious as I think the heads are 4.5 mm rather than
3.8 (though my eyesight's not what it used to be so .6 of a mm miight be too
small a difference for me!). Will probably end up with the RS one as it's in
stock now rather than on back order. Rs also have a trade counter in Glasgow
so I might ask someone at my work to pick it up for me (though I don't know
if these counters are maybe only for a/c customers only).

Leigh

L Reid

"L Reid" wrote in message
"David Micklem" wrote in message

does anyone know whether it's the 3.8 or 4.5 mm bit that's required

Phoned CPC to enquire about availability. Mid January, so looking for other
sources of 'gamebit's. Found some on e-bay so might give that a try. Cost
per unit is more expensive however p&p's 20% of CPC / RS.

Leigh

geoff

In message , L Reid
writes
RS is the same, though the item is 3 times the price each so I'm not too
worried about the handling charge. Difference between £15 and £7 so happy!
Might have a look around the website though.

Bah. Out of stock. Looks like RS could be getting my business. Might try
phoning CPC first though.

Alt.rec.comedysuppliers.org

no, don't bother trying it
--
geoff

Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable? David UK diy 8 September 2nd 03 09:00 PM
Shower electrical cable Jeff UK diy 1 August 13th 03 04:44 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 12:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM
PH100 Satellite cable Steve UK diy 3 July 15th 03 09:47 PM