Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Kill Thread is the K key

on thunderbird....

If there is a poster / subject line that you don't agree with, hitting
the K key at the head of it all is quite simple and zero effort. Folks
who take those threads off topic disapear as well. There is an answer to
that ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
on thunderbird....

If there is a poster / subject line that you don't agree with, hitting
the K key at the head of it all is quite simple and zero effort.

Indeed. You can use message filters to do it automatically as well if
you want.

Folks
who take those threads off topic disapear as well. There is an answer to
that ...

"kill sub thread" is a better answer here. That truncates the thread at
that branch only and leaves the rest in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 11:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/02/2014 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
on thunderbird....

If there is a poster / subject line that you don't agree with, hitting
the K key at the head of it all is quite simple and zero effort.

Indeed. You can use message filters to do it automatically as well if
you want.

Folks
who take those threads off topic disapear as well. There is an answer to
that ...

"kill sub thread" is a better answer here. That truncates the thread at
that branch only and leaves the rest in place.

Sadly the Thunderbird implementation is borked, at least from what would
seem logical. If you have 'view threads with unread' selected then it
will include messages in the unread count even though they are hidden.
Selecting 'mark all as read' does not clear this.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:27:07 +0000, Andrew May
wrote:

[...]

I tried TB for a while, but I didn't get on with it very well.

I use Agent V2 and like it, but it needed a lot of tweaking from the
defaults.

I only wish that the outbox would display the most recent thread at
the top, and also it is very easy to start typing a response in the
message pane, and realise you are just issuing single letter commands.
It would be better if the Ctrl or Alt keys were required.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 12:27, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

Yup I have seen that... its not consistent though. Fortunately if you
skip to the next unread with "n" then it does ignore those threads.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 11:48, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/02/2014 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
on thunderbird....

If there is a poster / subject line that you don't agree with, hitting
the K key at the head of it all is quite simple and zero effort.

Indeed. You can use message filters to do it automatically as well if
you want.

Folks
who take those threads off topic disapear as well. There is an answer to
that ...

"kill sub thread" is a better answer here. That truncates the thread at
that branch only and leaves the rest in place.

Sometimes I find an off topic subthread (other groups as well as here)
more worthy than what started the original conversation. A "kill before
message ID" would be useful.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 13:19, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

But I don't think it removes the count from the unread count - which
renders the unread count unreadable.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 14:00, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

Or unreliable even ;-)

Having said that, unless you really read *every* post, its pretty
useless anyway. (currently telling me I have 11623 unread of 21496 total
- yet as far as I am concerned I am up to date!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 16:35, John Rumm wrote:

Having said that, unless you really read *every* post, its pretty
useless anyway. (currently telling me I have 11623 unread of 21496 total
- yet as far as I am concerned I am up to date!)

I always read what I am interested in and then Mark Newgroup Read. This
resets the count to zero so I know if there is anything new to look at.
This gets messed up if it is counting unread but hidden messages.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 11:08, Adrian C wrote:
on thunderbird....

If there is a poster / subject line that you don't agree with, hitting
the K key at the head of it all is quite simple and zero effort. Folks
who take those threads off topic disapear as well. There is an answer to
that ...

Isn't this thread off topic too? :-)

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 16:53, Andrew May wrote:
On 26/02/2014 16:35, John Rumm wrote:

Having said that, unless you really read *every* post, its pretty
useless anyway. (currently telling me I have 11623 unread of 21496 total
- yet as far as I am concerned I am up to date!)

I always read what I am interested in and then Mark Newgroup Read. This
resets the count to zero so I know if there is anything new to look at.
This gets messed up if it is counting unread but hidden messages.

I have a filter set any thread I participate in to "watched". So
selecting watched threads with unread home in on any new posts to
threads I am or was a part of.

--
Cheers,

John.