Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Claening a laptop fan - Dell Inspiron 1764

On 24 Feb 2014 21:40:20 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

Part way through I remembered that the laptop had been repaired a couple
of times under warranty.

That explains why about 25% of the screws were missing.

I even had to chart which holes started out with screws in so I could put
it back together the same way.

Bloody Dell field engineers!!

Good work. You may find that there are bags of appropriate screws for
that model available on eBay, although the exact level of
appropriateness is unknown until you try to use them. My dad does
laptop refettling sometimes, and says it's about 50-50 whether you get
the right stuff.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by infinity is
to contemplate the extent of human stupidity." -- Voltaire
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant.

http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Read, and learn.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:44:52 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant.

http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Read, and learn.

I've tried it, and it's **** at being a lubricant for more than a very
short time. Plus it's inappropriate for throwing into a laptop which
is where the discussion was centred.

But, y'know, score one pedant point to you.

You might want to spend it on your composition skills, but only if you
wanted to sound less jerky on the internet.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Remember, if something is on the news that means it's rare
enough that you shouldn't worry about it. It's the things
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes
wrote:

In message , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes

WD40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant.

http://wd40.com/about-us/myths-legends-fun-facts/

Read, and learn.

I've tried it, and it's **** at being a lubricant for more than a very
short time.

Because I couldn't find my 3-in-1, I used WD40 as a stop-gap to
lubricate the bearings of a totally seized computer PSU fan. It was
still turning two years later (when I eventually found the 3-in-1!).

Plus it's inappropriate for throwing into a laptop which
is where the discussion was centred.

But, y'know, score one pedant point to you.

You might want to spend it on your composition skills, but only if you
wanted to sound less jerky on the internet.

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop
(or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in
lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water
dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to
help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way
inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:45:21 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop
(or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in
lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water
dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to
help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way
inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.

You missed out helping to start reluctant diesels...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Whelan
writes
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:45:21 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop
(or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in
lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water
dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to
help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way
inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.

You missed out helping to start reluctant diesels...

That would be rather over-gilding the lily.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 22:13:57 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Chris Whelan
writes
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:45:21 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop
(or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in
lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water
dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to
help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way
inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.

You missed out helping to start reluctant diesels...

That would be rather over-gilding the lily.

ITYM; "That would be gilding the lily." (or perhaps you were going to
use the expression "Over-egg the Pudding" and changed your mind
halfway through.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , Johny B Good
writes
On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 22:13:57 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Chris Whelan
writes
On Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:45:21 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

[...]

I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) recommend throwing WD40 into a laptop
(or anything else) - and neither would I say it was the ultimate in
lubricants (or anything else). Nevertheless, it IS a lubricant, a water
dispersant, a cleaner, a corrosion proofer etc, something you can use to
help with lighting reluctant fires - and if you're really that way
inclined, you can dab it behind your ears as a perfume.

You missed out helping to start reluctant diesels...

That would be rather over-gilding the lily.

ITYM; "That would be gilding the lily." (or perhaps you were going to
use the expression "Over-egg the Pudding" and changed your mind
halfway through.

No - that is not what I mean. I said what I meant to say. WD40 is good -
but it's not perfect in all respects. Nevertheless, it's pretty good -
and I wouldn't be without it.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes

You might want to spend it on your composition skills, but only if you
wanted to sound less jerky on the internet.

I thought it was w_tom for a moment.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 11:19:34 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Jaimie
Vandenbergh writes

You might want to spend it on your composition skills, but only if you
wanted to sound less jerky on the internet.

I thought it was w_tom for a moment.

He's got a distinct posting style all of his own (one that's rather
confusing and hard to follow) but he seems to be posting under the
name "westom" in uk.d-i-y at the moment.
--
Regards, J B Good