Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Consumer Unit

On 19/02/2014 00:18, Dave wrote:
I have an older Edwardian house. The present consumer unit is about 6 feet
above floor level wired in pvc red/black, probably done in the 70s and added
to in early 90s. Everything rings out fine. I want to replace the unit with
a modern one containing MCBs and RCBs. I've been told that to comply with
new regs I have to have the unit moved to be more accessible without step
ladder. This causes a tremendous amount of work as the nearest place is
about twelve feet away that is suitable probably requiring meter move and
upheaval to other domestic items plus redecoration. Is this true that the
regs require retrospective action, I thought that if the house had been
wired to previous regs of the past that no retrospective application of
requirements are enforced..

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Cross-posted for better info.

Andy

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

On 19/02/2014 00:18, Dave wrote:
I have an older Edwardian house. The present consumer unit is about 6 feet
above floor level wired in pvc red/black, probably done in the 70s and added
to in early 90s. Everything rings out fine. I want to replace the unit with
a modern one containing MCBs and RCBs. I've been told that to comply with
new regs I have to have the unit moved to be more accessible without step
ladder.

Whoever told you that does not know the Building Regs.

It is an existing installation, so long as you dont make it worse than
it previously was, then there is no problem at all in leaving it at the
present height.

New builds and major renovations have to have their switchgear/ socket
outlet etc at a suitable height. As a guide, the heights of between 450
and 1200mm from the ground are given. This is not law, it is a guide.

Common sense (should) prevail.
You will have to make sure your earthing and bonding complies with
current standards if you change it. And be aware of maybe a shared
neutral on your hallway/landing light.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/14 23:09, A.Lee wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

On 19/02/2014 00:18, Dave wrote:
[...]

IIRC consumer units do NOT have to comply with disability regulations.
Nor do lightbulb sockets ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IIRC consumer units do NOT have to comply with disability regulations.

Not as regards the prescriptive height range. But a CU in a new build
has to comply with the easy-to-reach requirement. All this (Part M,
Part P, practice etc) was discussed in the consultation document on Part
P in 2012 which asked if Part P should be amended to deal with this.
AFAIK Part P was not amended. But the approved document for part P does
say "... consumer units in new dwellings should be easy to reach in
accordance with Part M..." and go on to say one way of complying is to
fit the CU so the switches are at 1350~1450mm.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all replies it is as I thought from my little knowledge of the
regs.

Whats the problem with shared neutrals, I presume the rcds won't function
properly or trip unexpectedly,? I might have more in my house because of
wiring changes through the ages to support outside lights and central
heating with thermostats and motorised valves all over the place. Does each
seperate circuit need its own isolated neutral then to go to its
corresponding rcd.? I might see the problem if I do a few squiggles on
paper..

"A.Lee" wrote in message
o.uk...
Vir Campestris wrote:

On 19/02/2014 00:18, Dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Hi

Sorry for being thick it's obvious you can't balance the live and neutral
currents if there are stray neutral or live cross connections between the
RCDs, especially not to 30mA unless the cable runs are closely impedance
matched.

Dave" wrote in message
Thanks for all replies it is as I thought from my little knowledge of the
regs.

Whats the problem with shared neutrals, I presume the rcds won't function
properly or trip unexpectedly,? I might have more in my house because of
wiring changes through the ages to support outside lights and central
heating with thermostats and motorised valves all over the place. Does
each seperate circuit need its own isolated neutral then to go to its
corresponding rcd.? I might see the problem if I do a few squiggles on
paper..

"A.Lee" wrote in message
o.uk...

consumer unit kennys UK diy 1 December 10th 12 08:43 PM
New Consumer Unit Jeff Gaines UK diy 9 May 5th 11 07:57 AM
New consumer unit Terry D[_2_] UK diy 9 December 2nd 07 02:34 PM
Consumer unit ΠDavid Love UK diy 10 October 24th 06 03:39 PM
new consumer unit-do i need an RCD? tarquinlinbin UK diy 16 October 19th 04 10:52 AM