Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Consumer Unit

I'm having a new consumer unit fitted following some work in the kitchen.

I have always preferred MK kit but any recommendations for a CU? I think I
saw a recommendation for something beginning with 'Ha..' in here but I
can't find it now.
It would be good to have one that only kills the circuit with a problem
rather than everything if that's possible.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:
On 04/05/2011 12:27, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I'm having a new consumer unit fitted following some work in the
kitchen. I have always preferred MK kit but any recommendations for a CU?
think I saw a recommendation for something beginning with 'Ha..' in
here but I can't find it now.
It would be good to have one that only kills the circuit with a
problem rather than everything if that's possible.

Hager?

And IMHO better than MK.

And to the OP have a read of

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Consumer_Units

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 in message ARWadsworth wrote:

AlanD wrote:
Hager?

That's it, thanks AlanD :-)

And IMHO better than MK.

And to the OP have a read of

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Consumer_Units

That's interesting, thanks.

If I specify a Hager Insulated Flexible Dual 63A RCD Consumer Unit as per:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...its/index.html

it seems I'll have the most flexible (and expensive) option, does that
make sense?

Is it flexible enough to include 2 x Economy 7 circuits with the ordinary
domestic stuff?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
AlanD wrote:
Hager?

That's it, thanks AlanD :-)

And IMHO better than MK.

And to the OP have a read of

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Consumer_Units

That's interesting, thanks.

If I specify a Hager Insulated Flexible Dual 63A RCD Consumer Unit as
per:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...its/index.html

it seems I'll have the most flexible (and expensive) option, does that
make sense?

The most expensive option is one RCBO per circuit (the fully independant
sort)

Is it flexible enough to include 2 x Economy 7 circuits with the
ordinary domestic stuff?

In that case you may need a dual tarrif CU. What's your current set up (two
fuse boxes)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 in message ARWadsworth wrote:

it seems I'll have the most flexible (and expensive) option, does that
make sense?

The most expensive option is one RCBO per circuit (the fully independant
sort)

Can you suggest a model that takes one RCBO per circuit?

Is it flexible enough to include 2 x Economy 7 circuits with the
ordinary domestic stuff?

In that case you may need a dual tarrif CU. What's your current set up
(two fuse boxes)?

Yes, 2 fuse boxes at the moment.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HGVC108.html

Is it flexible enough to include 2 x Economy 7 circuits with the
ordinary domestic stuff?

In that case you may need a dual tarrif CU. What's your current set
up (two fuse boxes)?

Yes, 2 fuse boxes at the moment.

It might be better to keep it that way.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
And to the OP have a read of
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Consumer_Units

RCD protection is now required for
1. All sockets up to 20A for general use...
2. All circuits in a bathroom...
3. All circuits buried in a wall at less than 50mm and without
mechanical protection.

So, in my shop (the one with the crack in the corner of the
bearly-accessible Wylex board):
Alarm: no
Lights: no
Sockets: yes. Next time I do any refurb work, rather than destory
the meter cupboard and put a RCB CU in, I could just put a single
RCBO on the sockets circuit. I think I've got a boxed 32A RCB
floating around somewhere.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
And to the OP have a read of
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Consumer_Units

RCD protection is now required for
1. All sockets up to 20A for general use...
2. All circuits in a bathroom...
3. All circuits buried in a wall at less than 50mm and without
mechanical protection.

So, in my shop (the one with the crack in the corner of the
bearly-accessible Wylex board):
Alarm: no
Lights: no
Sockets: yes. Next time I do any refurb work, rather than destory
the meter cupboard and put a RCB CU in, I could just put a single
RCBO on the sockets circuit. I think I've got a boxed 32A RCB
floating around somewhere.

If you do not do any electrical work on the refurb then you need do nothing
to to the fusebox apart from fixing the crack (unless the Scots have
different rules).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Like having different rules for shops and dwellings like in England?

Consumer Unit Frank Erskine UK diy 6 July 24th 10 02:30 AM
Consumer unit Capt T UK diy 25 May 17th 08 04:56 PM
New consumer unit Terry D[_2_] UK diy 9 December 2nd 07 02:34 PM
Consumer unit ΠDavid Love UK diy 10 October 24th 06 03:39 PM
Consumer Unit Nick UK diy 5 November 4th 04 11:48 PM