Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adhesive for tiles on tiles

Any suggestions?

This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most
of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over-
tiling...

cheers,

cd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 18:00, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Any suggestions?

This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most
of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over-
tiling...

cheers,

cd

I've even tiled on to vinyl (don't ask). Bog standard tub adhesive
sticks like the proverbial to both sides of a tile. Try one and see if
you can pull it off 24 hours later. Doubt it somehow
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 19:25:11 UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 19/02/2014 18:00, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Any suggestions?

This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most

of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over-

tiling...

cheers,

cd

I've even tiled on to vinyl (don't ask). Bog standard tub adhesive

sticks like the proverbial to both sides of a tile. Try one and see if

you can pull it off 24 hours later. Doubt it somehow

tub adhesive dries by evaporation? if sandwiched between old impervious glazed tile face and new tile back (in turn with own impervious glazed face), I foresee issues sooner or later...

cementitious adhesive is the way IMHO a flexible type

What's the wall made of? is it up to handling 2 layers of tiles? what size &thickness? are the old tiles and what size & thickness are the intended?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim
K writes
On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 19:25:11 UTC, stuart noble wrote:
On 19/02/2014 18:00, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Any suggestions?

This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most

of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over-

tiling...

I've even tiled on to vinyl (don't ask). Bog standard tub adhesive

sticks like the proverbial to both sides of a tile. Try one and see if

you can pull it off 24 hours later. Doubt it somehow

tub adhesive dries by evaporation? if sandwiched between old impervious
glazed tile face and new tile back (in turn with own impervious glazed
face), I foresee issues sooner or later...

I used BAL Whitestar Plus for tiling my bathroom recently. It says that
it is suitable for tiling over existing glazed ceramic tiles.

http://files.building-adhesives.com/...0Sheets/B%20&%
20C%20Technical%20Data%20Sheets/BAL_White_Star_Plus.pdf

cementitious adhesive is the way IMHO a flexible type

What's the wall made of? is it up to handling 2 layers of tiles? what
size &thickness? are the old tiles and what size & thickness are the
intended?

Yeah the key things are can the surface take the weight of the tiles and
the existing tiles being securely fixed.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've even tiled on to vinyl (don't ask). Bog standard tub adhesive

sticks like the proverbial to both sides of a tile. Try one and see
if

you can pull it off 24 hours later. Doubt it somehow

tub adhesive dries by evaporation? if sandwiched between old
impervious glazed tile face and new tile back (in turn with own
impervious glazed face), I foresee issues sooner or later...

cementitious adhesive is the way IMHO a flexible type

IME cement based adhesives are outperformed by acrylics in most areas,
mainly because they contain very little water and are much lighter.
The theory that nothing sticks to glazed surfaces is easy to disprove by
sticking two tiles together face to face

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
IME cement based adhesives are outperformed by acrylics in most areas,
mainly because they contain very little water and are much lighter.
The theory that nothing sticks to glazed surfaces is easy to disprove by
sticking two tiles together face to face

Or just trying to remove dried on adhesive. ;-)

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:24:50 -0800, Jim K wrote:

tub adhesive dries by evaporation? if sandwiched between old impervious
glazed tile face and new tile back (in turn with own impervious glazed
face), I foresee issues sooner or later...

cementitious adhesive is the way IMHO a flexible type

What's the wall made of? is it up to handling 2 layers of tiles? what
size &thickness? are the old tiles and what size & thickness are the
intended?

There's no issue here with respect to overloading the wall or the
original tiling on it. I'm only constructing 'tile skirting' around the
room concerned at floor level, so the new tiles will be supported by the
floor whilst setting and they will only be 100mm high, anyway.
I've no idea what 'cementitious' adhesive is in terms of brand names. I
did consider perhaps something from a gun like Sticks Like Sh*t or No
More Nails for the purpose? Would they work?
And yes, as someone else mentioned, the tile adhesive from a tub I've
been using satisfactorily for the original layer of wall tiles does dry
be evaporation and does NOT bond tiles to tiles at all well! They pry off
easily days later.