Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self Adhesive tiles coming up - how to fix??

Hello

We have a breezeway with self adhesive 12 x 12 tiles. The tiles in one
part are starting to come up a little. The floor was plywood. As far
as I remember, the floor was sealed with shellac or something similar
prior to putting the tiles down.

Questions

1. What is the best way to fix this?? I was thinking of

a - contact cement or something like that
b. Trying an iron but I don't thing that would work.

I'd appreciate any ideas. I do have some replacement tiles that I
could use if necessary. I'd prefer to try to get the tiles to stick
without removing it. They are not cracked.

2. What could have caused this?? I did have a minor roof leak at that
point. Also, we have one of those hoover floor cleaners that puts down
water and vacuums it up. I'm not sure if my son got overly energetic
with the water. It is an area with fairly decent traffic and the floor
may have a little 'bounce' to it although I really don't notice any.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice...

thanks

chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Self adheisve tiles are cheap and will eventually come up. Its probably
nothing you did specifically.

I am not sure what to use but I can tell you NEVER use heat unless you know
for sure it will work or you have the option to test first on a section that
is hidden. Many services will melt and then you will need a full
replacement. I learned this trying to use a hot glue gun on a piece of
counter. (it was the only glue I had at the time.) It melted the entire
peice so I had to replace it completely.

"cgmsys" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mac Mac is offline

Bob wrote:
Self adheisve tiles are cheap and will eventually come up. Its probably
nothing you did specifically.

they're not cheap. It cost me twice as much to do my kitchen with them
as opposed to linoleum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mac wrote:

Bob wrote:

Self adheisve tiles are cheap and will eventually come up. Its
probably nothing you did specifically.

they're not cheap. It cost me twice as much to do my kitchen with them
as opposed to linoleum.

He means cheap as in garbage, not price. And I agree. I will
not install self adhesive tiles due to the problems associated
with them.

As to the OP, get some vinyl tile adhesive and stick it back
down the way tiles are supposed to be done. This means
lifting the tile, getting the adhesive under the tile, letting
it tack up, then pressing down the tiles. You need a lot of
heavy weights to hold them down after having them bent up for
the adhesive insertion.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Self adhesive tiles are junk, or at least the adhesive is. Get some
multi-purpose flooring adhesive and a knotched trowel that has the
knotch sizes as listed on the can. Use the adhesive under the loose
tiles. Be sure all the dirt is removed from both the floor and what
is stuck to the tile adhesive. Use the new tiles if needed. Sitting
them in warm sunlight helps them flex if they are warped. Step each
tile down, and remove any oozing adhesive with a damp sponge before it
drys.

Next time you do a tile job, dont buy the self adhesive type. You are
only wasting your money and the hassle of removing all that paper.

I worked for a flooring company for over 20 years !

George

On 8 May 2007 07:11:56 -0700, cgmsys wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to everyone who replied.

This was one of those rush jobs where circumstances pushed us into
doing something quickly with the room. I have learned my lesson with
the self adhesive tiles though.

thanks

chris