Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MDPE

I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

They stop the pipe deforming under a fitting.

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

You should most definitely NOT use a hacksaw. It needs a clean, smooth,
cut end and, for that, you really need a proper MDPE pipe cutting tool.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote in
:

On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

They stop the pipe deforming under a fitting.

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

You should most definitely NOT use a hacksaw. It needs a clean, smooth,
cut end and, for that, you really need a proper MDPE pipe cutting tool.

Colin Bignell

Read the instructions and don't compromise!

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To use with the fittings...

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

Plastic pipe cutter. e.g:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ratc...r-6-42mm/61583

(you can get cheaper ones for narrower pipe)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 17:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To use with the fittings...

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

Plastic pipe cutter. e.g:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ratc...r-6-42mm/61583

(you can get cheaper ones for narrower pipe)

How disappointing. From the name I expected it to use a laser to cut the
pipe.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

About 20p.

Ah, silly me, that's not what you meant!

They reinforce the end of the pipe where it goes into a fitting, keeping
the pipe round (rather than oval) and making the connection more secure.

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

You're supposed to use a proper plastic pipe cutter. Failing that, a
decent pair of by-pass secateurs should do the trick. Cutting - even
with the proper tool - inevitably flattens the pipe into a slightly oval
shape - so it's important to use an insert.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:

I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To use with the fittings...

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

Plastic pipe cutter. e.g:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ratc...r-6-42mm/61583

(you can get cheaper ones for narrower pipe)

I found my pretty basic speedfit cutter was plenty man enough for 25mm
MDPE and it looked as if it would stretch to 35mm too.

This cheapie seems to do up to 42mm too:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p69222
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 20:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Oh so who invented this stuffand why do we need it?
Brian

Dunno who invented it, but it's the blue plastic pipe which you bury in
your garden when you want a water supply at the other end.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/14 21:47, Roger Mills wrote:
On 19/02/2014 20:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Oh so who invented this stuffand why do we need it?
Brian

Dunno who invented it, but it's the blue plastic pipe which you bury in
your garden when you want a water supply at the other end.

last half mile water mains...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2014 20:01, Roger Mills wrote:

You're supposed to use a proper plastic pipe cutter. Failing that, a
decent pair of by-pass secateurs should do the trick. Cutting - even
with the proper tool - inevitably flattens the pipe into a slightly oval
shape - so it's important to use an insert.

I find a bit of rotation of the pipe to get them started cutting helps
reduce the flattening...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:59:25 +0000, Michael Chare
wrote:

I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

GIYF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIp8ImrHpk

--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

--
Michael Chare

Medium Density Poly Ethylene.

The joints seal with an O ring. (Sometimes other seal depending on make)

The tube needs to be cut square and with no rough edges that might damage
the O ring when it is pushed home.
There are expensive special tools for cutting it in seconds
But you can cut with hacksaw (square) & then take a Stanley knife and shave
the saw marks off the edge and make a bevel to ease the pipe into the O
ring.

http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/aqua...pe-cutter.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2014 07:56, harryagain wrote:
But you can cut with hacksaw (square) & then take a Stanley knife and shave
the saw marks off the edge and make a bevel to ease the pipe into the O
ring.

Sounds like a recipe for a leak to me, especially as a lot of people
cannot make a square cut with a hacksaw.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 20/02/2014 07:56, harryagain wrote:
But you can cut with hacksaw (square) & then take a Stanley knife and shave
the saw marks off the edge and make a bevel to ease the pipe into the O
ring.

Sounds like a recipe for a leak to me, especially as a lot of people
cannot make a square cut with a hacksaw.

Well, yes obviously you need to take the requisite care making the cut
and finishing the pipe end.

It's not the ideal method, but it's perfectly doable, just need take a
little time over it.. I did a few joints in a garden supply in MDPE with
a saw and stanely knife when I found my plastic pipe cutter was broken
and I wanted to get the job done. It was fine.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar writes:
On 19/02/2014 16:59, Michael Chare wrote:
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe.

What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for?

They stop the pipe deforming under a fitting.

To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?

You should most definitely NOT use a hacksaw. It needs a clean, smooth,
cut end and, for that, you really need a proper MDPE pipe cutting tool.

BTW, hacksaw is fine if you are using compression fittings (which is
what I use for long life connections).

You don't want hacksawed ends anywhere near O-ring seals though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2014 09:45, chris French wrote:
In message , Nightjar

It's not the ideal method, but it's perfectly doable, just need take a
little time over it.. I did a few joints in a garden supply in MDPE with
a saw and stanely knife when I found my plastic pipe cutter was broken
and I wanted to get the job done. It was fine.

I'd agree, fine tooth hacksaw and clean edge carefully with a knife ....
pipe insert is vital ... I did forget one on my underground rain water
harvesting system ... and after 10 years it started to allow air to leak
in and the pipe would drain, causing priming issues.

MDPE pipe query robgraham UK diy 10 October 7th 12 06:55 PM
mdpe pipe Fred UK diy 3 August 10th 10 04:23 PM
Insulation for MDPE ? Jack Fate UK diy 3 March 16th 08 08:20 PM
what to cut MDPE pipe with Richard Morley UK diy 7 March 1st 08 06:04 AM
MDPE to copper peteshew UK diy 4 March 3rd 07 09:45 PM