Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what to cut MDPE pipe with

I will shortly be puchasing and running some MDPE 25 mm pipe work.

Not used it before . What tool do I need to cut it sqaure ?.

I presume that the hand "plastic pipe cutters" sold are for rigid plasic
waste pipe rather than MDPE.

Something not too expensive I hope as I will not be doing this very often.

Thanks
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Morley wrote:

I will shortly be puchasing and running some MDPE 25 mm pipe work.

Not used it before . What tool do I need to cut it sqaure ?.

I presume that the hand "plastic pipe cutters" sold are for rigid
plasic waste pipe rather than MDPE.

Something not too expensive I hope as I will not be doing this very
often.
Thanks
Richard

Pipe cutters intended for plastic pipe such as Hep2O are fine. Otherwise
it's easy enough to cut with a good pair of garden secateurs - the sort with
curves blades which shear, not the sort with a straight blade and an anvil.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:06:46 -0000, "Roger Mills"

Richard Morley wrote:

I will shortly be puchasing and running some MDPE 25 mm pipe work.

Not used it before . What tool do I need to cut it sqaure ?.

I presume that the hand "plastic pipe cutters" sold are for rigid
plasic waste pipe rather than MDPE.

Something not too expensive I hope as I will not be doing this very
often.
Thanks
Richard

Pipe cutters intended for plastic pipe such as Hep2O are fine. Otherwise
it's easy enough to cut with a good pair of garden secateurs - the sort with
curves blades which shear, not the sort with a straight blade and an anvil.

Would those not give you an uneven cut?
The plastic pipe cutters I have have a cutting blade that goes down in
between two other parts of the lower jaw ... like these

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61583/...Cutter-6-42mm#
or these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/29833/...e-Cutter-210mm
The gap between the bottom jaw(s) is easier to see in the second item
listed .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Morley wrote:

[...]

If you're doing it for a living, the proper tools are fine - even the second
one at nearly £100! But if you're just cutting one or two pipes, and already
have something like http://tinyurl.com/2adp8d you can achieve perfectly
acceptable results without needing to spend any money. [In Wilkinson Sword
parlance you need bypass pruners, not anvil pruners].
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Morley wrote:

I will shortly be puchasing and running some MDPE 25 mm pipe work.

Not used it before . What tool do I need to cut it sqaure ?.

I presume that the hand "plastic pipe cutters" sold are for rigid
plasic waste pipe rather than MDPE.

Something not too expensive I hope as I will not be doing this very
often.
Thanks
Richard

Pipe cutters intended for plastic pipe such as Hep2O are fine. Otherwise
it's easy enough to cut with a good pair of garden secateurs - the sort
with
curves blades which shear, not the sort with a straight blade and an
anvil.

Isn't 25 mm a bit big for secateurs? I just use a hacksaw and clean off the
burrs with a stanley knife or sandpaper. A tenon saw or other fairly fine
toothed wood saw will also work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Morley wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your contributions.
Having today purchased the MDPE and experimented with both secateurs and
hacksaw ,
I think I agree with newshound.

again many thanks.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Feb, 20:34, "newshound" wrote:

Isn't 25 mm a bit big for secateurs? I just use a hacksaw

You are Doctor Drivel and I claim my five pounds!

and clean off the burrs with a stanley knife or sandpaper.

Sorry, that's a fiver I owe you.

_IF_ you do this neatly, square, and you properly de-burr it
afterwards, then this can work. If you're Drivel, then the burrs from
sawing cause it to leak afterwards.

Use some very big bypass shears. Works fine, no burrs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 29 Feb, 20:34, "newshound" wrote:

Isn't 25 mm a bit big for secateurs? I just use a hacksaw

You are Doctor Drivel and I claim my five pounds!

You are a total idiot! Please eff off.

Black or Blue MDPE pipe Adrian UK diy 1 April 30th 07 04:20 PM
MDPE pipe sizes...why? Mr Fizzion UK diy 2 September 14th 05 11:05 PM
Blue and black MDPE pipe - difference? [email protected] UK diy 3 August 3rd 05 02:27 PM
Replacing water main with MDPE pipe - will it help my pressure? Lobster UK diy 10 August 30th 04 02:14 PM
Digging trench for MDPE pipe, any tips? Pete C UK diy 4 August 23rd 04 09:37 PM