Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default connector blocks

I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block
type). They must have the little steel 'tongue' that sits
between the end of the screw and the wire. RS do them, but
the size I want, which is for 4mm cable, is out of stock
until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find
anything.

Bill

cpc
tlc-direct
and the usual wholesalers
City Electrical
Newey and Eyre

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/02/2014 04:37, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

Bill

rapidonline.com?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block
type). They must have the little steel 'tongue' that sits
between the end of the screw and the wire. RS do them, but
the size I want, which is for 4mm cable, is out of stock
until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find
anything.

Bill

cpc
tlc-direct
and the usual wholesalers
City Electrical
Newey and Eyre

Having just bought some connector strip from TLC, I don't think they have
what is asked for.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

They're sometimes called leaf protection springs (or were - the phrase
seems to have vanished over the last ~10 years). They are protecting
stranded wire. CPC do them in one size only.

I think you'll struggle with 4mm though - you would probably have to
do that by using a standard choc block and crimping on a bootlace
ferrule, or if you have a ratchet crimper for standard insulated crimps,
use an insulated blade crimp (also available from CPC).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw and
the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable, is out
of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative supplier?
I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

Bill

These look like what you want

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...cks/5-0-5-08mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block
type). They must have the little steel 'tongue' that sits
between the end of the screw and the wire. RS do them, but
the size I want, which is for 4mm cable, is out of stock
until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find
anything.

Bill

cpc
tlc-direct
and the usual wholesalers
City Electrical
Newey and Eyre

The CPC ones don't have the little tongue, unless you know better. I've
bought likely looking ones from them and they haven't had it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dickie mint wrote:
On 17/02/2014 04:37, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

Bill

rapidonline.com?

Richard

No evidence that theirs have the tongue. The pic and the spec suggest
they don't.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright writes:
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

They're sometimes called leaf protection springs (or were - the phrase
seems to have vanished over the last ~10 years). They are protecting
stranded wire. CPC do them in one size only.

I think you'll struggle with 4mm though - you would probably have to
do that by using a standard choc block and crimping on a bootlace
ferrule, or if you have a ratchet crimper for standard insulated crimps,
use an insulated blade crimp (also available from CPC).

Ah, thanks for that. What's the CPC order no? I can't find it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm Old Gregg wrote:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...cks/5-0-5-08mm

Do they have the little tongue/spring? I can't tell from the page.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm Old Gregg wrote:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...cks/5-0-5-08mm

Do they have the little tongue/spring? I can't tell from the page.

Bill

The ones near the bottom of the page look like they do.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...n-2-5mm-524888

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm Old Gregg wrote:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...cks/5-0-5-08mm

Do they have the little tongue/spring? I can't tell from the page.

Bill

The ones near the bottom of the page look like they do.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...n-2-5mm-524888

They look like the screw lifts a 'cradle' to clasp the wire. That's
fine. But aren't they for PCBs only?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Bill Wright
writes
I'm Old Gregg wrote:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...tors-Terminal-

Blocks/5-0-5-08mm

Do they have the little tongue/spring? I can't tell from the page.

They do but they're pcb mount when I thought you were looking for
standard choccy.

Same site has this range:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Blocks-63852

and some have 'wire protectors' which I assume means tongues, data sheet
link there too but it doesn't say much more although it does give
terminal capacities, think you want CTSN433 for 4mm2:

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/02/2014 20:52, fred wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
writes
I'm Old Gregg wrote:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...tors-Terminal-

Blocks/5-0-5-08mm

Do they have the little tongue/spring? I can't tell from the page.

They do but they're pcb mount when I thought you were looking for
standard choccy.

Same site has this range:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Blocks-63852

and some have 'wire protectors' which I assume means tongues, data sheet
link there too but it doesn't say much more although it does give
terminal capacities, think you want CTSN433 for 4mm2:

I looked at those but discounted them as none took 4mm. Nearest is
CTSN434/12 with wire protector?

The data is difficult to read, but expanding the field gives the wire
size with and without wire protector.
CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.
CTSN434 gives 10mm without, 6mm with.

But they do have a helpline.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

fred wrote:

and some have 'wire protectors' which I assume means tongues, data sheet
link there too but it doesn't say much more although it does give
terminal capacities, think you want CTSN433 for 4mm2:

Yay! I think you've cracked it!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dickie mint wrote:

CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.

Oh yes, didn't see that. Boo!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/02/2014 21:30, Bill Wright wrote:
Dickie mint wrote:

CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.

Oh yes, didn't see that. Boo!

Bill

But the pdf (http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/21-1670.pdf) differs and
says CTSN433/with takes 4mm cable! I give up, it's bedtime, been up
since 0545!!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Bill Wright
writes
Dickie mint wrote:

CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.

Oh yes, didn't see that. Boo!

Datasheet linked to on page says 4mm2 with protector for that code.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/02/2014 11:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're sometimes called leaf protection springs (or were - the phrase
seems to have vanished over the last ~10 years). They are protecting
stranded wire. CPC do them in one size only.

"Wire protection leaf" is the string you need - at least that's what RS
have always called them'. RS SKU 464-9722 might be what Bill's looking
for.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Dickie mint wrote:

CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.

Oh yes, didn't see that. Boo!

Bill

But the pdf (http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/21-1670.pdf) differs and
says CTSN433/with takes 4mm cable! I give up, it's bedtime, been up
since 0545!!

Richard

Oh, ******** to it. I'll order some and see what comes.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Wade wrote:
On 17/02/2014 11:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're sometimes called leaf protection springs (or were - the phrase
seems to have vanished over the last ~10 years). They are protecting
stranded wire. CPC do them in one size only.

"Wire protection leaf" is the string you need - at least that's what RS
have always called them'. RS SKU 464-9722 might be what Bill's looking
for.

Ohh yes! Fancy that! I'll get some now. What's 'SKU' mean?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Andy Wade wrote:
On 17/02/2014 11:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're sometimes called leaf protection springs (or
were - the phrase
seems to have vanished over the last ~10 years). They
are protecting
stranded wire. CPC do them in one size only.

"Wire protection leaf" is the string you need - at least
that's what RS have always called them'. RS SKU
464-9722 might be what Bill's looking for.

Ohh yes! Fancy that! I'll get some now. What's 'SKU' mean?

Bill

Stock Keeping Unit. The six digit number that uniquely
identifies any product or service that a (usually retail)
organisation supplies. These days largely replaced by bar
code scanning but many places still dual code. Quite useful
when comparing two items that appear to be identical with
different prices so it should push you to ask the question
why.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/02/2014 04:37, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm looking for some connector blocks (the choc block type). They must
have the little steel 'tongue' that sits between the end of the screw
and the wire. RS do them, but the size I want, which is for 4mm cable,
is out of stock until the end of March. Anyone know of an alternative
supplier? I've had a look at a few and can't find anything.

Bill

Try RapidOnline if they have them they will be cheaper too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
Dickie mint wrote:

CTSN433 gives 4mm without, 2.5mm with wire protector.

Oh yes, didn't see that. Boo!

Bill

But the pdf (http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/21-1670.pdf) differs and
says CTSN433/with takes 4mm cable! I give up, it's bedtime, been up
since 0545!!

Richard

Oh, ******** to it. I'll order some and see what comes.

Bill

I think these would suit what Bill needs, we've used the first version
for many years can't remember where we got them from now just bought a
bulk load but the heavier duty ones at the bottom are what Bill needs.

Best to mail them and ask who stocks them..

Might have to copy 'n paste to get these links to open proper like..

WEIDMUELLER is the company that makes them and very good quality ones
they are too. Come in varying sizes..

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/proca...id=933D8A509B6
7694067A681CE478C7350?productId=%28[7906210000]%29&page=Product

http://catalog.weidmueller.com/proca...=933D8A509B676
94067A681CE478C7350?page=Group&groupId=%28%22group 38792592629852%22%29

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=06...ox-a&hs=Oq3&sa
=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&channel=rcs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ
&ei=4y8DU8DnA63g7QbmmoCgDQ&ved=0CDcQsAQ4Cg&biw=160 0&bih=744

Looks like they have them...

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-det...3167-ND/492760

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm Old Gregg wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

They look like the screw lifts a 'cradle' to clasp the wire. That's fine.
But aren't they for PCBs only

Sorry, one more try.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Blocks-63852

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm Old Gregg wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message

They look like the screw lifts a 'cradle' to clasp the wire. That's
fine. But aren't they for PCBs only

Sorry, one more try.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Blocks-63852

That's the one! It just goes to show the truth of the old adage: "If
you're flummoxed ask the newsgroup."

Bill

Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks Louis Ohland Metalworking 16 February 13th 08 08:22 PM
BLOCKS J T Woodworking 0 December 24th 05 07:56 PM
Connector blocks [email protected] UK diy 10 May 9th 05 04:16 PM
Blocks or Bearings ? Junkyard Engineer Woodworking 3 January 25th 05 02:45 AM
using connector blocks john UK diy 24 June 27th 04 11:47 PM