Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lifting a piece of glass covering a well

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris k" wrote in message
roups.com...

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Pressurise the well and it'll pop out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb 2014, Chris k
grunted:

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen.

You have a well in your kitchen?

Can we see a photo?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 14 Feb 2014, Chris k
grunted:

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen.

You have a well in your kitchen?

Can we see a photo?

If it's only 3" in diameter how small is the gnome with the fishing rod?
;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew Mawson , Chris k wrote:
andrew wrote:

"Chris k" wrote in message
roups.com...
Pressurise the well and it'll pop out

How do I pressurise a well when I cant gain access?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:44:01 +0000, Chris k wrote:

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with
a glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I
cant lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Try more than one suction cap handle device.

If two or three people each using a suction handle can't shift it then it
is stuck.

Sacrifice the wooden surround to get a lever in.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Assuming you mean 3' diameter, I calculate that will weigh about 1.5kg
per mm thickness, so should not be desperately heavy.

They move huge sheets of glass with those vacuum pick ups so 1 or two of
those and a jury rigged lever of 4x2 timber should lift it enough to get
wooden battens under it and from then on slide it around on the battens
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 14 February 2014 15:44 Chris k wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass
with a glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood
surround so I cant lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it

There's one like that in a pub in Northiam near Bodiam.

I expect inch thick[1] 3 ft dia glass is *bloody heavy*

Or something getting on for it - which it looked like in this pub.

This may be part of the problem.

The other problem is any mastic it may be bedded on.

Pictures might be useful at this point - especially a close up of the
rim.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Tim+ , Chris k wrote:
timdownie2003 wrote:

If it's only 3" in diameter how small is the gnome with the fishing rod?
;-)
Tim

Well spotted Tim, should read 3" thick !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

timdownie2003 wrote:

If it's only 3" in diameter how small is the gnome with the fishing
rod? ;-)
Tim

Well spotted Tim, should read 3" thick !!

You're joking, right?

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

I'll bet you cannot lift it from one side - it will need to come upwards
equally on all sides at the same time.

How much does it weigh?
Rule of thumb a square metre of glass weighs 2.5kg per 1mm

Your glass well cover could be 150 to 200kg!

Possibly you need a multi head suction devices fitted in the centre and
a block an tackle arrangement to lift it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Connect hosepipe to tap. Point at garden. Turn on tap. Wait for water level in
well to rise and overflow. Turn off tap

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

These usually have a silicone bead under the outermost rim, good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 18:06, alan wrote:
On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass
with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I
cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

I'll bet you cannot lift it from one side - it will need to come upwards
equally on all sides at the same time.

How much does it weigh?
Rule of thumb a square metre of glass weighs 2.5kg per 1mm

Your glass well cover could be 150 to 200kg!

Possibly you need a multi head suction devices fitted in the centre and
a block an tackle arrangement to lift it.

+1

Or if it is set into a step in the softwood, perhaps you could lift the
frame plus glass with several substantial screw eyes around the
periphery, plus an A frame or equivalent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

timdownie2003 wrote:

If it's only 3" in diameter how small is the gnome with the fishing rod?
;-)
Tim

Well spotted Tim, should read 3" thick !!

--

If it really is 3" thick, you're going to need a *lot* of suckers and a
tripod and winch. An engine lifting hoist would probably do the job.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nitro®" wrote in message
On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I
cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Contact your local caving club and see if they can send someone up the
spring that feeds the well, then climb up from inside and replace the blubs
for you?

You really do have to post a photo of this feature, it sounds amazing, but i
can imagine people being scared to walk on the glass and scooting around the
side of it... like the walk of faith thing in the blackpool tower, you can
see the glass is inches thick and probably stronger than the floor boards
you are standing on already, yet you **** your self at the thought of
standing on it.... well some people do,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 18:06, alan wrote:
On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass
with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I
cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

I'll bet you cannot lift it from one side - it will need to come upwards
equally on all sides at the same time.

How much does it weigh?
Rule of thumb a square metre of glass weighs 2.5kg per 1mm

Your glass well cover could be 150 to 200kg!

Possibly you need a multi head suction devices fitted in the centre and
a block an tackle arrangement to lift it.

If it is very heavy consider the technology of the replacement lights as
it's not an exercise you want to repeat too often. LEDs may be better
for longevity[1] but buy from a reputable source and not cheap Chinese
knock-offs. Also replace ALL lights.

Also consider that once lifted the glass needs to be supported and slid
aside. You don't want to scratch the underside or get it dirty/smeared
as cleaning it could be very difficult.

[1] In my experience with low energy bulbs it often the electronics that
fail rather than the technology supplying the light. A conventional
long life bulb, with a thicker filament, may need to be considered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Feb 2014, "Gazz" grunted:

"Nitro®" wrote in message
On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need
to access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the
glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so
I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Contact your local caving club and see if they can send someone up the
spring that feeds the well, then climb up from inside and replace the
blubs for you?

You really do have to post a photo of this feature, it sounds amazing,

There was one of these a couple of years ago, in someone's living room:
http://tinyurl.com/c4c2eol (or
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...over-33ft-deep
-medieval-WELL-beneath-living-room-spotting-bump-floor.html)

but i can imagine people being scared to walk on the glass and
scooting around the side of it... like the walk of faith thing in the
blackpool tower, you can see the glass is inches thick and probably
stronger than the floor boards you are standing on already, yet you
**** your self at the thought of standing on it.... well some people
do,

Better than Blackpool Tower:
http://tinyurl.com/cgcjboo (or
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...deep-end-The-2
4th-floor-swimming-pool-glass-underneath-great-fear-heights.html)

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2014 15:44, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

I saw that done on a DIY SOS show once. Was that you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

timdownie2003 wrote:

If it's only 3" in diameter how small is the gnome with the fishing rod?
;-)
Tim

Well spotted Tim, should read 3" thick !!

--

If it really is 3" thick, you're going to need a *lot* of suckers and a
tripod and winch. An engine lifting hoist would probably do the job.
What's the diameter?

Assuming it is 4ft in diameter, it would weigh about 225 kgs. At 6ft
diameter, it would be getting on for 500kgs. You would need one of these
per 100kgs:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/four-suction-lifter/38434

That is, of course assuming that it is held down only by its weight and
not also by sealant.

I suspect that the base arms of an engine hoist would get in the way of
lifting the glass. You might need a gantry like this:

http://www.hss.com/g/69340/Mobile-Li...um-Gantry.html

which can be adjusted down to 2.1m high, plus a hoist and some slings:

http://www.hss.com/c/1014459/Hoists-and-Slings.html

As already mentioned, I would look at replacing the lighting with good
quality LED lighting, to avoid having to do this again for the
foreseeable future.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2014 09:55, Gazz wrote:

You really do have to post a photo of this feature, it sounds amazing,
but i can imagine people being scared to walk on the glass and scooting
around the side of it... like the walk of faith thing in the blackpool
tower, you can see the glass is inches thick and probably stronger than
the floor boards you are standing on already, yet you **** your self at
the thought of standing on it.... well some people do,

I've walked over the glass floor at the top of the Spinnaker Tower -
they do ask you to remove your shoes. A visit up the tower is something
I'd recommend if you are in Portsmouth on a clear sunny day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker_Tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TS2AQ1hm84
(not my video)

There is also a glass walk at the Grand Canyon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrv6pkci0I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OP - can we have some pictures please...

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2014 09:55, Gazz wrote:

You really do have to post a photo of this feature, it sounds amazing,
but i can imagine people being scared to walk on the glass and scooting
around the side of it... like the walk of faith thing in the blackpool
tower, you can see the glass is inches thick and probably stronger than
the floor boards you are standing on already, yet you **** your self at
the thought of standing on it.... well some people do,

If its a piece of glass I wouldn't walk on it.
If its a composite structure I would.

Glass is brittle and breaks far to easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2014 10:54, Lobster wrote:

Better than Blackpool Tower:
http://tinyurl.com/cgcjboo (or
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...deep-end-The-2
4th-floor-swimming-pool-glass-underneath-great-fear-heights.html)

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk

Scary, you might drown on the way down if it broke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:54:43 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

On 15 Feb 2014, "Gazz" grunted:

"Nitro®" wrote in message
[...]

Not forgetting the CN Tower, Toronto which the XYL and I visited back
in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_Tower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CN_Tower_Glass_Floor_Walk.jpg

I took a similar styled photo (feet in view) but rotated 180 deg to
include the tower structure for added 'context'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CNTowerNastyFall.jpg

This picture is a closer match in quality to my 35mm film shots (I
didn't buy the 3.2Mpxl Nikon until a day or two later). The difference
being mine showed the rail tracks below.

I got the XYL to take a photo of me stood on the glass, unfortunately
the shot was a little out of focus. I tried to get a picture of her
doing likewise but the best I could do was to persuade her stand on
the concrete beam between the glass panels immediately in front of the
large red "Happy Birthday 28 10 CN tower" placard. The 28 and the 10
were split by an icon of the tower so I'm not quite sure what those
numbers are supposed to mean.

I must say, despite my confidence in the strength of the glass floor,
I still felt a shiver of fear at being 'apparently' suspended over
such a large drop (1,122 ft).
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 11:38:24 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

timdownie2003 wrote:

[...]

Perhaps tunnelling in from the side would be easier...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
OP - can we have some pictures please...

He was going to but it's dark :-D
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 15 February 2014 17:14 fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , Tim Watts
writes
OP - can we have some pictures please...

He was going to but it's dark :-D

Cue Three Headed Knight:

"He's buggered off!"

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

Is that the one on DIY SOS(*) last week? They used a pair of those
glass sucker handles to put it in place.

(*)Or one of them programmes.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

timdownie2003 wrote:

If it really is 3" thick, you're going to need a *lot* of suckers and a
tripod and winch. An engine lifting hoist would probably do the job.
What's the diameter?
Tim

Tim, exactly my thought last night.......just waiting for the hire shop to
advise if I can have one this morning....
Thks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris k" wrote in
message ups.com...
timdownie2003 wrote:

If it really is 3" thick, you're going to need a *lot* of suckers and a
tripod and winch. An engine lifting hoist would probably do the job.
What's the diameter? Tim

Tim, exactly my thought last night.......just waiting for the hire shop to
advise if I can have one this morning....

Rather than a hoist how about a joist? ;-) Or, rather, how about a board to
protect the floor and a length of wood pivoting on the first and used as a
lever? A lever should allow you to get any lifting power you want. Rememer
Archimedes Boast?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archime...and_inventions

For suction, if the surface is smooth how about tile lifters?

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod422...tile-lift.html

The glass may be stuck down and may at least need to be scored around the
perimiter?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

This post is annoying me. I wish there was a picture.
Why a well with a glass lid. if it is a well how do you get at the
water?Where is the piping access?
Why is the poster deliberately not showing picture or at least
describing this unusual thing in a form understandable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2014 01:13, F Murtz wrote:
Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to
access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass
with a
glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I
cant
lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

This post is annoying me. I wish there was a picture.
Why a well with a glass lid. if it is a well how do you get at the
water?Where is the piping access?
Why is the poster deliberately not showing picture or at least
describing this unusual thing in a form understandable.

There have been a few house designer and DIY programs where an old
well[1] has been used as a feature rather than a practical solution to
obtaining water. The well is only built up to floor level and has a
glass cover so that you can walk on it. It is lit so that you can see
the water at the bottom.

I seem to remember that it was a multi-man task to get the cover in place.

[1]
I think Tommy Walsh had a project with a well.
Another may have actually been a mill stream running under the property
but treated as a feature with a glass floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2014 08:09, alan wrote:

I think Tommy Walsh had a project with a well.
Another may have actually been a mill stream running under the property
but treated as a feature with a glass floor.

It seems that covering wells in glass is quite popular
http://oxfordshireglass.com/WellCovers.aspx

Note: They suggest LED lighting. I suspect that they know lifting the
cover will be a PITA.

These covers seem to be around 35mm and not the 3"(75mm) the OP suggests
so the cover may be a more manageable 100kg - but still not a one man lift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen.

Why a well with a glass lid. if it is a well how do you get at the
water?Where is the piping access?
Why is the poster deliberately not showing picture or at least
describing this unusual thing in a form understandable.

There have been a few house designer and DIY programs where an old
well[1] has been used as a feature rather than a practical solution to
obtaining water. The well is only built up to floor level and has a
glass cover so that you can walk on it. It is lit so that you can see
the water at the bottom.

There are a few pubs around which have them as features, good cover is
a requirement in an environment where some people may get a bit silly.
One I used to visit near Winchester has a treadmill in place which was
used to raise the bucket.
http://themilburyspub.synthasite.com/history.php

Another is the Red lion at Avebury where the stone circle is.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

On 16/02/2014 08:09, alan wrote:

I think Tommy Walsh had a project with a well.
Another may have actually been a mill stream running under the property
but treated as a feature with a glass floor.

It seems that covering wells in glass is quite popular
http://oxfordshireglass.com/WellCovers.aspx

Note: They suggest LED lighting. I suspect that they know lifting the
cover will be a PITA.

These covers seem to be around 35mm and not the 3"(75mm) the OP suggests
so the cover may be a more manageable 100kg - but still not a one man lift.

To be fair (ish) to the OP, it could be pretty hard to estimate the
thickness of the glass if you can only see it from above.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:
I think Tommy Walsh had a project with a well.

That's the one. And in answer to people who say "pah,
why do you need libraries, everything's on the internet",
I've just spent 30 minutes searching trying to find a
picture or video of the Tommy Walsh covered well in
question, with no success. Everything's on the internet
my arse.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:36:04 -0800, jgh wrote:

And in answer to people who say "pah, why do you need libraries,
everything's on the internet",
I've just spent 30 minutes searching trying to find a picture or video
of the Tommy Walsh covered well in question, with no success.
Everything's on the internet my arse.

So how long would it take you to find a picture or video of it in a
library, then?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 February 2014 15:44:01 UTC, Chris k wrote:
I have a 3" circular glass cover over a well in my kitchen. I need to

access the lights to replace a bulb. I have tried lifting the glass with a

glass plunger, but it doesnt budge. There is a softwood surround so I cant

lever against the side. Any ideas how I can lift it ?

--

I'm sure it would be sealed in some way to prevent damp, or at least a smell of it. If not silicone, perhaps a rubber ring which has gone gooey. Have you looked under the floorboards where the cable enters? Mayne there's an access panel?

As a lateral solution, how about drilling one of more half-inch slanting holes into the wall below the glass so that you can drop in a weighted string of LED fairy lights (very appropriate for a well or a rope light? Bung the end of the hole with blue-tak to keep out damp.

Chris