Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Downlighter choice

Which is the best choice for ordinary domestic downlighters - GU10 (240V) style or MR16 (12V & requiring a transformer)?

Beam angles vary a lot. So the basic choice seems to be between lots of fairly closely spaced narrow angle lower powered units or more widely spaced but higher power units. What is usually preferred?

TIA for any help experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Which is the best choice for ordinary domestic downlighters - GU10 (240V)
style or MR16 (12V & requiring a transformer)?

Beam angles vary a lot. So the basic choice seems to be between lots of
fairly closely spaced narrow angle lower powered units or more widely
spaced but higher power units. What is usually preferred?

TIA for any help experience.

With the higher power 240v LEDs, you need to ensure the lampholders allow
cooling air to rise past the lamp. The sort that can be swivelled have the
necessary space.
See my reply to 'uncle jim' above.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

FWIW we had six 240V halogen downlighters installed in 2004. In those
ten years, there have been only two failures.

Your mains voltage must be low. I had a pendant with ten 240V halogens.
We had so many failures I ripped the bloody thing out after six months
and fitted something else.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:

FWIW we had six 240V halogen downlighters installed in 2004. In those
ten years, there have been only two failures.

Your mains voltage must be low. I had a pendant with ten 240V halogens.
We had so many failures I ripped the bloody thing out after six months
and fitted something else.

Interestingly in the days before CFLs, I was replacing roughly one bulb
a week, which I put down to *high* mains voltage (and the sheer number
of bulbs: about 50). I've just plugged a mains monitor in and it says
246.3V.

The downlighters are on a dimmer switch. As it happens the dimmer
normally stays on maximum and is clicked on/off in the normal way, but I
wonder if somehow the dimmer circuitry provides a soft start. It would
be good if it did.

--
Mike Barnes