Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to ThermFLOW from McDonald

I've recently been having some issues with a ThermFLOW 210 hot water cylinder. The cylinder has developed a leak and my plumber has had to strip the insulation (metal case and lagging) to identify and solder the pinhole. He has advised that when this starts happening the quality of the tank is quite degraded and may happen again.

Unfortunately, due to an unrelated issue, we had to drain the tank approx 2 weeks after the soldering (which were leak free), and on refilling another leak has appeared, not coming from the original area. The plumbers recommendation is to replace the tank.

The cost of an equivalent ThermFLOW 210L unit is c £1200 plus vat and fitting, which I find a bit pricy. Can anyone suggest any alternatives, or should I bite the bullet and replace?

Thanks,
Gary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's been in about 7 years, but there were issueswith the installer the builder usedat the time, so apparently they weren't installed and protected correctly. I've got no particular issue with keeping the same type or changing to a standard design, I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have on the rest of theset up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2014 16:11, wrote:
I've recently been having some issues with a ThermFLOW 210 hot water
cylinder. The cylinder has developed a leak and my plumber has had
to strip the insulation (metal case and lagging) to identify and
solder the pinhole. He has advised that when this starts happening
the quality of the tank is quite degraded and may happen again.

Unfortunately, due to an unrelated issue, we had to drain the tank
approx 2 weeks after the soldering (which were leak free), and on
refilling another leak has appeared, not coming from the original
area. The plumbers recommendation is to replace the tank.

The cost of an equivalent ThermFLOW 210L unit is c £1200 plus vat and
fitting, which I find a bit pricy. Can anyone suggest any
alternatives, or should I bite the bullet and replace?

That seems fairly pricey[1]... I take it you are actually using it as a
thermal store and not just a normal cylinder? Perhaps looking for an
alternative model with a stainless inner tank would be worthwhile?

[1] Compared to say a similar size unvented cylinder - but then again
its cheap compared to say a xcel Pandora.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |