Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default any alternatives to tiles?

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:55:11 -0700 (PDT), benpost
wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

I saw them use something similar to this on 60 minute makeover. I expect there
are other. They just stuck it over the old tiles. Goodness knows if it will last
but if it was well fixed I guess it would be OK.

Crosbyworktops - Shower panels
http://tinyurl.com/3qk4nt

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

We have just fitted a shower cubicle, I looked at tiles, soon realised the
time taken to tile and in a shower the grouting never stays white! we went
for
B&Q Cavalier Shower Wall Tile Panel White EAN: 5031978185005 at £36 per
panel

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true
or http://tinyurl.com/3taghu

Due to the state of the walls after removing the old tiles, we put 9mm ext
ply up and glued it to that, made the job nice simple and quick Its easy to
cut with a blade so we bought another sheet to finish up to the ceiling and
cut it to suit.
It took two of us a day to remove an old cast iron bath (they make a hell of
a noise in a confined space when being hit with a 25lb hammer!!) remove all
old pipes, build a frame to cover the pipes and plumb in feeds and drains,
including trips to B&Q for the bits we hade forgotten about.......

There are other types that cost upwards of £300 a sheet !!

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

I saw them use something similar to this on 60 minute makeover. I expect there
are other. They just stuck it over the old tiles. Goodness knows if it will last
but if it was well fixed I guess it would be OK.

Crosbyworktops - Shower panelshttp://tinyurl.com/3qk4nt

Andy C

upvc sheets - the surfgace deteriorates over time, making them
impossible to keep clean. I dont know if sheet glass is workable,
strongly coloured

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:55:11 -0700, benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

B&Q do a version of this stuff:

http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/decorative_p...duct_range.cfm

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dieseldes wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

We have just fitted a shower cubicle, I looked at tiles, soon
realised the time taken to tile and in a shower the grouting never
stays white! we went for
B&Q Cavalier Shower Wall Tile Panel White EAN: 5031978185005 at £36
per panel

I've used that & found it a right bugger to get the sheet fed into the
corner channel. Did you have any trouble with that?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Dieseldes wrote:
"benpost" wrote in message
around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

We have just fitted a shower cubicle, I looked at tiles, soon
realised the time taken to tile and in a shower the grouting never
stays white! we went for
B&Q Cavalier Shower Wall Tile Panel White EAN: 5031978185005 at £36
per panel

I've used that & found it a right bugger to get the sheet fed into the
corner channel. Did you have any trouble with that?

one side went in. other side was certainly a bugger!! not helped by the
walls not being exactly flat.... one side frame work for pipes covered by
9mm ply , the other wall 9mm ply straight onto wall,
It went in at top and bottom but was not a good fit in the middle!! but
that's what silicon is for.........
Next time (not in my lifetime!!!) I think the best way would be to put one
side in the corner piece with Silicon, and slide that into place first.. but
I suppose that's the learning curve.

Des

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

Not sure about reasonably priced, by you could investigate Corian.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

Not sure about reasonably priced, by you could investigate Corian.

Vinyl flooring? Was quite trendy in the seventies, and less prone to
condensation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

Not sure about reasonably priced, by you could investigate Corian.

Vinyl flooring? Was quite trendy in the seventies, and less prone to
condensation.

not sure it will work as a wall covering though :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:08:37 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

Have just bought 'blue splash' sheeting from ipsl (www.ipsl.co.uk) It
looks good propped up in my hall but I've not fitted it yet. Before I
bought it I inspected at the B&Q alternative which is much cheaper and
looks it too imo

I got them to send me samples which is something I would recommend
you do cos the real thing looks quite different to the web page
pictures, much more muted

Anna

--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

Not sure about reasonably priced, by you could investigate Corian.

Vinyl flooring? Was quite trendy in the seventies, and less prone to
condensation.

not sure it will work as a wall covering though :-)

Works very well from a practical point of view. Aesthetically maybe not
Posted to uk.d-i-y

went to b and q and asked about the panelling but they said they didnt
do any!

i'll check that ipsl site, but nicer to see it in reality.

do you think this sort of thing will become more popular in time? i've
never tiled before but it seems like a lot of messy work, compared
with sticking a panel to a wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:

i wondered is there any reasonably priced alternatives which might be
easier to fit as well?

Kerlite.

But "reasonably priced" isn't a phrase that comes to mind.

There's also this:

http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/decorative_p...duct_range.cfm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:12:02 -0700, benpost wrote:

went to b and q and asked about the panelling but they said they didnt
do any!

i'll check that ipsl site, but nicer to see it in reality.

do you think this sort of thing will become more popular in time? i've
never tiled before but it seems like a lot of messy work, compared
with sticking a panel to a wall.

This is one of their offerings:

http://tinyurl.com/4pjh26

They also do another type whose reference I can't currently find.

As far as becoming more popular is concerned, I think a more durable
product will be required as the present range seems to be rather flimsy.
One obvious advantage is easy maintenance as there are no grout lines to
collect dirt and scum. I've recently installed one type (the other type
from B&Q) and so far it looks and feels good but it's too soon to
offer a final opinion.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the suggestions, seems like it will be a while before
panelling takes off.. tiling it is then. i've changed my mind from
white tiles to beige as i dont want it to look cold.

i'd quite like matching floor and wall tiles, i had a look down
homebase and thought the nova tiles might be ok, quite cheap, but on
inspection they are marbly/shiny and too smooth for my liking.

got fed up with homebase as the price guide for tiles didnt match up
to the brochure. i'll take a trip down focus later and see what they
got.

any ideas? the area around the bath will be tiled full height, plus
the area behind the sink and wc - this will be boxed in and tiled on
to hide the pipes and make a shelf.

id like the tiles on this boxed wall to meet with the same floor tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Cicero wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 05:55:11 -0700, benpost wrote:

around the bath and shower i was planning on 20 x 25 white tiles,
plain or bumpy. just before i buy em though i wondered is there any
reasonably priced alternatives which might be easier to fit as well?
i know theres some sort of plastic sheeting you can use but not sure
how widely available is it?

B&Q do a version of this stuff:

http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/decorative_p...duct_range.cfm

I bought something similar for a shower from UK Bathroom Warehouse in
Burnley a few years ago - about 20UKP a sheet (about 2.4m x 20cm x 4mm)
Easy, quick and works well. fits together like t+g cladding.

Since then I've done a few showers and bathrooms with similar stuff from M.
Bricolage from France. More choice of colour / finish and in panels 2.4m x
375mm x 4mm Around 39Euros for three panels

John

--
John Mulrooney