ANt

Default non-slip paint for external brick steps

Hi,
I have a few steps outside my house that are pretty old victorian
brick and after a hundred years or so have become very smooth and
shiny. It's great to watch the Postman and milkman and any other
unsuspecting visitor during the winter but fear I'll probably be open
to a law suite sooner or later.

I'm looking for something I can paint on them to provide a rough
surface without detracting from their appearance. I have found
something called epoxy slip grip supplied by
www.industrial-flooring.co.uk but although you can obtain the 'clear'
version of that product which is basically an Epoxy glue that you
apply to the surface followed by some loose aggregate..the actual
aggregate is black and that may not look so good for my purposes.

anyone know of any other products or maybe something I can buy as a
subsititute to the black aggregate that I could apply over the clear
epoxy...wonder if sand might even do the job.

Ant.
Michael Mcneil

"ANt" wrote in message

Hi,
I have a few steps outside my house that are pretty old victorian
brick and after a hundred years or so have become very smooth and
shiny.
I'm looking for something I can paint on them to provide a rough
surface without detracting from their appearance.

Pva them and throw sand on them straight away or scour them with an
angle grinder. Try the pva first.

Woodspoiler

Sorry to disagree, but PVA doesn't hold up too well under damp
conditions. It's likely to fail quickly under foot traffic in a
wet spell. I think that Victorian bricks are relatively soft
inside so abrading the surface may expose material that
deterioriates quickly.
W.

Michael Mcneil

"Woodspoiler" wrote
in message

Sorry to disagree, but PVA doesn't hold up too well under damp
conditions. It's likely to fail quickly under foot traffic in a
wet spell. I think that Victorian bricks are relatively soft
inside so abrading the surface may expose material that
deterioriates quickly.

You're right about the pva. I think there is a waterproof version but I
am not sure. I can't imagine anyway to change the steps without
colouring them anyway. If the surface is lightly abraded they should be
OK.

The point is they should not be dangerous. If he puts sand on them it
will track in to the house. Thast leaves deck paint or some sort of
resin with sand in it.