Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital speedo (not eddy current) with analogue dials for speed and odo.

Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned
contacts and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old
style rotating disks) work?

I agree with this pots!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:46, bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

The one I took apart had a solenoid with a pawl on the end, pulling a
ratchet on the end of the odo shaft.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:46, bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

What car?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
On 27/01/2014 20:46, bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned
contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

What car?

Prehistoric (98) Corsa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Stamp" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/01/2014 20:46, bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned
contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

The one I took apart had a solenoid with a pawl on the end, pulling a
ratchet on the end of the odo shaft.

That makes sense but there must be a highish gearing on the ratchet, maybe
500 teeth per mile? The 1/10 mile disk looks really smooth to the eye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:46, bm wrote:
Had to remove inst. cluster, was losing speedo/odo etc etc. Cleaned
contacts
and now hoping. OOI, how does the odo display (0 to 9 old style rotating
disks) work?

The one I took apart had a solenoid with a pawl on the end, pulling a
ratchet on the end of the odo shaft.

That makes sense but there must be a highish gearing on the ratchet,
maybe 500 teeth per mile? The 1/10 mile disk looks really smooth to the
eye.

My SD1 Has an electronic speedo - but with normal analogue readout. The
odometer is driven by a synchronous motor. Solenoids tend to be grossly
inefficient. Although I doubt that much matters for this application.

--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.