Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hyper sensitive levels

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:40, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)

Presumably, the phial is nearly cylindrical rather than markedly barrel
shaped like your average level.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:40, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)

Somewhere ages ago on the web I found details of how to make one
yourself. Obviously, it involves grinding the bore into a very slight
barrel. It was a *very* detailed article and seemed to make something
with incredible sensitivity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Did it detail how best to capture the fish fart intact to use as the bubble
in the level?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 27, 2014 8:58:54 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
[...]

Heat & bend the glass tube, if you dont mind it not working upside down.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 00:37:10 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

Heat & bend the glass tube, if you dont mind it not working upside down.

Nice idea! You're a mine of info, I've noticed. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 20:40, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)

Well here is a start

http://fer3.com/arc/m2.aspx/Making-y...an-2012-g17728

I have seen another article with pictures but don't have time to google now
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:03:25 +0000, newshound wrote:

Well here is a start

http://fer3.com/arc/m2.aspx/Making-y...-vialswithout-

attached-pictures-Morrow-jan-2012-g17728

I have seen another article with pictures but don't have time to google
now

Interesting! Bit like grinding a mirror for a telescope but thankfully
not as demanding of time and skill!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)

The tube just has a less pronounced curve on it. The less pronounced,
the more sensitive and the more difficult and expensive to make.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
Cursitor Doom expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree
of sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels
we DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the
extent that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one
end, it's enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we
know, our levels wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up
(they're an arm and a leg to buy!)

The tube just has a less pronounced curve on it. The less pronounced,
the more sensitive and the more difficult and expensive to make.

I have an ex-WD level from some sort of gun mount. Calibrated screw
adjustment for + - 25deg. (memory). Mounted on a ground steel strip, it
makes a cheap level.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 22:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Cursitor Doom expressed precisely :
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree
of sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels
we DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the
extent that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one
end, it's enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we
know, our levels wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up
(they're an arm and a leg to buy!)

The tube just has a less pronounced curve on it. The less pronounced,
the more sensitive and the more difficult and expensive to make.

And more difficult to use if you don't really need that accuracy - 'cos
you can't see how unlevel you are unless you're virtually level.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:30:26 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

+1 on that!
I have a couple of these - the more sensitive one is actually marked '1 division = .05mm in 1m', which doing the calculation works out at about 10 seconds. A sheet of paper under one end sends the bubble practically off scale.
The other one gives around .3mm in 1m or around 1 minute for one division.
The more sensitive one is practically useless for most tasks, while the other one is ok for trimming things up once you're nearly level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 3, 2014 6:16:07 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

I cant imagine what needs to be that level.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2014 11:59, wrote:

I cant imagine what needs to be that level.

NT

My telescope is frequently set that level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 03:59:39 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

[...]

Lathes for one thing. If there's the slightest twist in a lathe bed it
will turn out work which is tapered when it's supposed to be straight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity. Though they look pretty similar to the spirit levels we
DIYers are familiar with, they are *far* more sensitive to the extent
that if you so much as place a thin slip of paper under one end, it's
enough to send the bubble markedly off centre. And as we know, our levels
wouldn't even begin to register such a minute change.
So does anyone know how this extremely high degree of sensitivity is
achieved? I was just wondering if it's possible to make one up (they're
an arm and a leg to buy!)

Modern spirit levels are just made that way for convenience.
In days of yore, vertical and horizontals were acheiveded with a pedulum
device.
Far more acurrate and self calibrating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/14 08:10, harryagain wrote:

In days of yore, vertical and horizontals were acheiveded with a pedulum
device.
Far more acurrate and self calibrating.

How do you check a horizontal with a pendulum?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pcb1962 writes:
On 28/01/14 08:10, harryagain wrote:

In days of yore, vertical and horizontals were acheiveded with a pedulum
device.
Far more acurrate and self calibrating.

How do you check a horizontal with a pendulum?

Using a right-angle.

You check the right-angle same way as with a level - flip it around
the other way (horizontally or vertically but not both) and check for
same reading.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/14 10:31, pcb1962 wrote:
On 28/01/14 08:10, harryagain wrote:

In days of yore, vertical and horizontals were acheiveded with a pedulum
device.
Far more acurrate and self calibrating.

How do you check a horizontal with a pendulum?

pythagoras or a square

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:52:10 +0000, Brian_Gaff wrote:

One assumes it has something to do with the internal shape of the
chamber where the bubble is and its calibration with the smooth
underside of the unit.
Brian

Actually the calibration is the easy bit. Once you've got the bubble in
the middle, flip the level around the other way and it should still be in
the middle. If it isn't, there are a couple of set screws you can use to
equalise readings.

I like the plumb bob and right angle idea; I'd never have thought of
that. OTOH, finding a dead accurate right angle might then turn out to be
equally as difficult and expensive as obtaining a precision level!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 21:04, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:52:10 +0000, Brian_Gaff wrote:

One assumes it has something to do with the internal shape of the
chamber where the bubble is and its calibration with the smooth
underside of the unit.
Brian

Actually the calibration is the easy bit. Once you've got the bubble in
the middle, flip the level around the other way and it should still be in
the middle. If it isn't, there are a couple of set screws you can use to
equalise readings.

I like the plumb bob and right angle idea; I'd never have thought of
that. OTOH, finding a dead accurate right angle might then turn out to be
equally as difficult and expensive as obtaining a precision level!

You just need a piece of string..
You divide it into eg 3 feet, four feet and 5 feet.
Make a triangle and one corner will be 90 degrees.
It works for any 3:4:5 triangle
(for those who like maths 3^2 + 4^2 = 5 ^ 2).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:53:12 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

You just need a piece of string..
You divide it into eg 3 feet, four feet and 5 feet.
Make a triangle and one corner will be 90 degrees. It works for any
3:4:5 triangle (for those who like maths 3^2 + 4^2 = 5 ^ 2).

By Jingo! Good thinking, sir!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 23:53, dennis@home wrote:

You just need a piece of string..
You divide it into eg 3 feet, four feet and 5 feet.
Make a triangle and one corner will be 90 degrees.
It works for any 3:4:5 triangle
(for those who like maths 3^2 + 4^2 = 5 ^ 2).

What Pythagoras worked out was that for any right-angle triangle A^2 +
B^2 = C^2.

3,4,5 is just the first, and was known long before. There are others.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:04:25 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 09:52:10 +0000, Brian_Gaff wrote:

One assumes it has something to do with the internal shape of the
chamber where the bubble is and its calibration with the smooth
underside of the unit.
Brian

Actually the calibration is the easy bit. Once you've got the bubble in
the middle, flip the level around the other way and it should still be in
the middle. If it isn't, there are a couple of set screws you can use to
equalise readings.

I like the plumb bob and right angle idea; I'd never have thought of
that. OTOH, finding a dead accurate right angle might then turn out to be
equally as difficult and expensive as obtaining a precision level!

How about using a straight rod or bar for the horizontal, and hang the
plumb bob by two identical strings, one from each end of the rod.
Attach a third string to the exact centre of the rod and hold this
string up - the rod should hang horizontally.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:40:04 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity.

The Auckland Nuclear Accessory Co. Ltd. in New Zealand made a mercury
tiltmeter, where the change in capacitance between electrodes and a
mercury surface is proportional to the tilt. This tiltmeter can measure a
vertical displacement of 0.0002 inches.
The city of Auckland was shown to tilt twice a day because of the orbit
of the moon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2014 21:15, MattyF wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:40:04 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that engineer's levels have an astonishing degree of
sensitivity.

The Auckland Nuclear Accessory Co. Ltd. in New Zealand made a mercury
tiltmeter, where the change in capacitance between electrodes and a
mercury surface is proportional to the tilt. This tiltmeter can measure a
vertical displacement of 0.0002 inches.
The city of Auckland was shown to tilt twice a day because of the orbit
of the moon.

Did it actually tilt or did they just measure the movement of the CoG of
the system?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
The city of Auckland was shown to tilt twice a day because of the orbit
of the moon.

Did it actually tilt or did they just measure the movement of the CoG of
the system?

Edinburgh (built on granite) actually tilts due to the tidal forces.
This could be shown with a reflective galvanometer over half a century
ago. Can't remember the details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
news
dennis@home wrote:
The city of Auckland was shown to tilt twice a day because of the orbit
of the moon.

Did it actually tilt or did they just measure the movement of the CoG of
the system?

Edinburgh (built on granite) actually tilts due to the tidal forces. This
could be shown with a reflective galvanometer over half a century ago.
Can't remember the details.

Everywhere South of Watford Gap is sinking into the sea.
Oop North is rising.
Anther proof thatYorkshire is God's own country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 06:58:01 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Everywhere South of Watford Gap is sinking into the sea.

That'll be the weight of all the immigrants.