Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Comparing LED and incandescent light bulb output

I have just bought my first mains powered LED light bulb, as you can now
get reasonably powerful one for less that £10. (An Integral 10.5w bulb
from Amazon at £8.55)

So before I made the purchase I found that the bulb gave out 820 lumens
which is a bit more than one might expect to get from a 60 watt bulb.

Fitting the bulb to a pendant ceiling light, it is apparent that all the
light is emitted downwards and sideways, but not upwards so the ceiling
remains dark and there is no reflected light into the room.

AIUI lumens is a measure of the total light output, but if you start
taking direction into account the comparison between LED and
incandescent light bulbs is more complex than I first thought.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I thinkI mentioned this some time ago. It is the same on the smaller
ones often fitted into illuminated magnifiers apparently. The light is
apparently whiter, but has restrictionas it does not cover the whole of the
viewing area as well as a bulb used to.
Its alreight people making direct replacements for bulbs but they do not
take into account that the large angle of light output might be a factor in
the design of the application.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active