Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price of 60W incandescent bulb?

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a bulb give on the usual mains supply?

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2014 20:26:32 UTC, Andy Bartlett wrote:
SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt
pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour
nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes
at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily
available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a bulb give
on the usual mains supply?

60W tungsten lamp gives out about 830 lumens.

H'mmm ... possibly your supply voltage is at the higher end of the allowed range ... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mains_electricity_by_country#Misinterpretatio n_of_Europe_wide_230_volt_systems. ! Thanks.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Needed a 5W BC CFL.

Looked on eBay.

£4.99 *each*!!! Jesus. I think I'll switch back to GLS bulbs.

only £2.50 + vat (= £3) at TLC, but perhaps you were looking at dimmable
one.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2014 20:20:07 UTC, Phil L wrote:
SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt
pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour
nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes
at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily
available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a bulb give
on the usual mains supply?

They're two for a quid at most poundshops, wilkinsons, home bargains, b&m
and most other lower end retailers, not sure what price they were 14 years
ago, probably dearer back then as there appears to even more of them around
now since they stopped making them

If you read a little more carefully, you may see that I was asking for a recent price, not a 14-y-o one. Recent, not current, because it is now illegal to sell them. I expect that the ones you have seen are heavy-duty, not made (but sold) for domestic use. I already know wnough about those. And I was asking for the ordinary price, which means such as would have been asked at Woolworths or the general supermarkets, for example Waitrose ... Co-operative.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240
volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament
1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in
almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when
last normally readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens
should such a bulb give on the usual mains supply?

They're two for a quid at most poundshops, wilkinsons, home
bargains, b&m and most other lower end retailers, not sure what
price they were 14 years ago, probably dearer back then as there
appears to even more of them around now since they stopped making
them

If you read a little more carefully, you may see that I was asking
for a recent price, not a 14-y-o one. Recent, not current, because
it is now illegal to sell them.

If I recall correctly, they are not actually illegal to sell due to a
cock up in the legislating process.

I expect that the ones you have seen
are heavy-duty, not made (but sold) for domestic use. I already know
wnough about those. And I was asking for the ordinary price, which
means such as would have been asked at Woolworths or the general
supermarkets, for example Waitrose ... Co-operative.

I used to buy boxes of 10 from a cash and carry for about 4 - 5 quid.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

If I recall correctly, they are not actually illegal to sell due to a
cock up in the legislating process.

As the say, "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good".

--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SL wrote:

[...]

I get mine from eBay - 40s 60s and 100s all £4.41 for 10 (free postage).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240
volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament
1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in
almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when
last normally readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens
should such a bulb give on the usual mains supply?

They're two for a quid at most poundshops, wilkinsons, home
bargains, b&m and most other lower end retailers, not sure what
price they were 14 years ago, probably dearer back then as there
appears to even more of them around now since they stopped making
them

If you read a little more carefully, you may see that I was asking
for a recent price, not a 14-y-o one. Recent, not current, because
it is now illegal to sell them.

No it inst.

I expect that the ones you have seen
are heavy-duty, not made (but sold) for domestic use. I already know
wnough about those. And I was asking for the ordinary price, which
means such as would have been asked at Woolworths or the general
supermarkets, for example Waitrose ... Co-operative.

best part of a quid. From an electrical factors in bulk 30p

-- SL

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y message , Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:01:58,
Phil L posted:

SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt
pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour
nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK
homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally
readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a
bulb give on the usual mains supply?

You asked what price they *was* at the turn of the most recent century, that
was approx 14 years ago.

Not as I read it. One must pay attention to the punctuation. And your
*was* should be *were*, being after "they".

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt
pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour
nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK
homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally
readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a
bulb give on the usual mains supply?

You asked what price they *was* at the turn of the most recent century, that
was approx 14 years ago.

Not as I read it. One must pay attention to the punctuation. And your
*was* should be *were*, being after "they".

He was quoting the exact word used by the OP.

However, the OP later added

If you read a little more carefully, you may see that I was asking for a recent price, not a 14-y-o one.

The actual ambiguity is that he asked what the price was, then
went on to add the qualifying clause "...as found in almost all
UK homes at the most recent turn of the century..." which he
apparently didn't mean he wanted the price at that time. Who
knew?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, the biggest annoyance are those strip lights with long supported
filaments. They seem to be almost impossible to get now, So as I have two
display cabinets that use them, I have basically put them in series so the
golden light apparently suits the crystal in the cabinets and the bulbs
never blow. They used to blow every couple of months when running flat out.
brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Phil L" wrote in message
What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt
pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour
nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes
at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily
available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a bulb give
on the usual mains supply?

They're two for a quid at most poundshops, wilkinsons, home bargains, b&m
and most other lower end retailers, not sure what price they were 14 years
ago, probably dearer back then as there appears to even more of them
around now since they stopped making them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2014 20:28:24 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/01/2014 19:58, SL wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily available in UK shops? And how many lumens should such a bulb give on the usual mains supply?

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/information/lumens_watts

Useful : 710 lm, in rough agreement with the view of Waitrose, *AFAIR*. Page noted; thanks.

--
SL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 20, 2014 7:58:17 PM UTC, wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily available in UK shops?

They were 25p for quite a long time. You could also pay several times that and get bulbs of identical lifetime, reliability, etc. It always puzzled me why so many did.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 2:50:42 PM UTC, wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2014 7:58:17 PM UTC, wrote:

What, approximately, was the ordinary price of a 60 watt 240 volt pearl bayonet-fitting domestic incandescent-filament 1000-hour nominal life common-shape light bulb, as found in almost all UK homes at the most recent turn of the century, when last normally readily available in UK shops?

They were 25p for quite a long time. You could also pay several times that and get bulbs of identical lifetime, reliability, etc. It always puzzled me why so many did.

My bulk buy (well only about 50 or so) of Tesco bulbs before the "ban" are lasting an average of about 100 hours each. Some blew after a few hours.

Simon.