Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problem with a pendant light fitting

In mum's house, in the lounge there's a pendant fitting that has three sort
of goblet/vase-shaped metal cones which face upwards at the ends of three
metal arms. The cones have frosted glass 'petals' in them. The bulb
holders are small edison-screw fittings mounted somehow in the metal parts
of the cones. I'm having to change bulbs in this unit very often; partly I
think the problem is that although hot air from them can drift upwards,
there's nowhere for cool air to flow into the base of each cone, so I think
the bulbs get very hot and their life is shortened.

There's also clearly a problem with poor contacts somewhere in the SES bulb
sockets, as quite often an apparently failed bulb will work again if it is
turned a few degrees in its socket.

I could possibly take the whole unit apart, but there's litte point unless
anyone knows of some place which stocks SES sockets with (presumably)
various types of mount, so I might be able to find one sort that would fit
the whole unit.

Or, just maybe some manufacturer has an adapter - perhaps very slightly
larger than a normal SES bulb's thread, and with a spring of its own at the
bottom where the blob contact on a normal SES blub is - that can be screwed
into an existing SES socket to produce an effective new socket an inch or so
further out?

Does anyone know of SES sockets, or adapters like this? Or know of any way
to make a poor contact SES socket reliable again?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".