Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing part of a mixer tap

Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a kitchen mixer tap that's faulty.

Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs replacing and the attached photo shows what it's like. I put it back in the tap so they can still use until my next visit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ioxiuoq2...e_Shrinker.jpg

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take the head of the tap in as the splines are all different on these things.

So, any suggestions as to how I can get an accurate impression of the splines without my friend having to post me the head of his tap?

Best I can come up with so far is for him to do it with Blue Tack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take the head of the tap
in as the splines are all different on these things.

Just count the splines and (probably unnecessary) measure the overall
diameter.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2014 17:07, Murmansk wrote:
Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a
kitchen mixer tap that's faulty.

Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs
replacing and the attached photo shows what it's like. I put it back
in the tap so they can still use until my next visit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ioxiuoq2...e_Shrinker.jpg

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take
the head of the tap in as the splines are all different on these
things.

So, any suggestions as to how I can get an accurate impression of the
splines without my friend having to post me the head of his tap?

Best I can come up with so far is for him to do it with Blue Tack

They are 'sometimes' different, but 90% of the time they are standard.
Wilkinsons sell them cheaply enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/01/2014 17:07, Murmansk wrote:
Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a kitchen mixer tap that's faulty.

Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs replacing and the attached photo shows what it's like. I put it back in the tap so they can still use until my next visit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ioxiuoq2...e_Shrinker.jpg

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take the head of the tap in as the splines are all different on these things.

So, any suggestions as to how I can get an accurate impression of the splines without my friend having to post me the head of his tap?

Best I can come up with so far is for him to do it with Blue Tack

Why not just fit one of these?
http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-e...43/reviews.htm

For around £15, you get two complete tap handles with all the mechanical
bits that go with. A piece of cake to replace both in 5 minutes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2014 20:44, GB wrote:
[...]

Good point!

SF have them for less.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 20:44:10 +0000, GB
wrote:

Why not just fit one of these?
http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-e...43/reviews.htm

For around £15, you get two complete tap handles with all the mechanical
bits that go with. A piece of cake to replace both in 5 minutes.

But in my bathroom they would no longer match the bath taps, so it
would look weird when I come to sell the house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why not just fit one of these?
http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-e...43/reviews.htm

For around £15, you get two complete tap handles with all the mechanical
bits that go with. A piece of cake to replace both in 5 minutes.

But in my bathroom they would no longer match the bath taps, so it
would look weird when I come to sell the house.

SF do three types;

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-...kits/cat820108

any of those match?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why not just fit one of these?
http://reviews.homebase.co.uk/1494-e...43/reviews.htm

For around £15, you get two complete tap handles with all the mechanical
bits that go with. A piece of cake to replace both in 5 minutes.

But in my bathroom they would no longer match the bath taps, so it
would look weird when I come to sell the house.

SF do three types;

http://www.screwfix.com/c/bathrooms-...kits/cat820108

any of those match?

No, mine have a little blue or red "flash" indent down the side of the
tap head, quite distinctive. The taps in the downstairs lav are the
same. Obviously, only a minor problem, but why change the tap heads if
unnecessary? I found the right spline size after a bit of searching.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This site will help you to identify what you need:

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 09:07:57 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a kitchen mixer tap that's faulty.

Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs replacing and the attached photo shows what it's like. I put it back in the tap so they can still use until my next visit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4ioxiuoq2...e_Shrinker.jpg

I took the photo to the plumbers merchant who said I needed to take the head of the tap in as the splines are all different on these things.

So, any suggestions as to how I can get an accurate impression of the splines without my friend having to post me the head of his tap?

Best I can come up with so far is for him to do it with Blue Tack

I measured mine with an electronic vernier gauge. Outer diameter and
inner diameter to bottom of splines.