Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (?) Looking for LONG screws for electrical knockout boxes.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in a
deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst the
various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 28 December 2013 10:13 Dave Chapman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in a
deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst the
various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

ITYM M3.5 - or are these very old boxes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Socket.../dp/B006USXOP4

^^ 60mm long - does that help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2013 10:13, Dave Chapman wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in a
deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst the
various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

TLC Direct do 75mm ones;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...t5slash75.html

Or

MK Extension Stud M3.5;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3710.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very many thanks for the speedy responses and helpful information
supplied. Much appreciated.

I don't actually need the screws to fit to a conduit box but I do
have a couple of the long screws I mentioned and needed a few more of
similar shaft thickness in order to mount some handles on either side of
a rather thick wooden door. The actual thread doesn't matter as long as
its around the 3mm or 2BA that I quoted.

Happy New Year.

- Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote in
:

On 28/12/2013 10:13, Dave Chapman wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in
a deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst
the various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

TLC Direct do 75mm ones;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...t5slash75.html

Or

MK Extension Stud M3.5;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3710.html

I like the studs!
However, I suppose when things get to a certain point then putting a
spacer behind the box - or fitting a deeper box would be the "purist"
way of doing it.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2013 12:42, DerbyBorn wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote in
:

On 28/12/2013 10:13, Dave Chapman wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in
a deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst
the various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

TLC Direct do 75mm ones;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...t5slash75.html

Or

MK Extension Stud M3.5;
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK3710.html

I like the studs!

Very useful when walls have been tiled.

However, I suppose when things get to a certain point then putting a
spacer behind the box - or fitting a deeper box would be the "purist"
way of doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2013 10:13, Dave Chapman wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (60mm)
screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA
thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in a
deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't
see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst the
various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

You need to look for 3.5 (m3.5) screws. I've purchased the before from
CPC

Toolstation do 50mm and 75mm @ £2/3 per hundred
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p59311

Screwfix call them "m3.5 electrical screw"
they also do 50m and 75mm but more expensive than toolsatan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:03:25 +0000, Dave Chapman wrote:

Very many thanks for the speedy responses and helpful information
supplied. Much appreciated.

I don't actually need the screws to fit to a conduit box but I do
have a couple of the long screws I mentioned and needed a few more of
similar shaft thickness in order to mount some handles on either side of
a rather thick wooden door. The actual thread doesn't matter as long as
its around the 3mm or 2BA that I quoted.

Happy New Year.

- Dave.

Are you sure about the diameter. The old handles on my front door were M6;
the new handles are M5 - I'd have preferred the M6 for the new ones but they
seem to be old hat now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away