Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue for Vinyl?

OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen less
now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the floor
under that is wooden.

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
news
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

Will you need an adhesive that is suitable for damp conditions?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Also is there a skirting board or any kind of cavities where built in
furniture does not quite fit.
Brian

--

Can you suggest a brad of glue?

The kitchen is afitted one. All the units have been taken out and are now
being replaced. Those plus the the appliances will hold most of the vinyl
in place.

Personally I wouldnt bother to glue atall. I never have in the past ( took
an old vunyl up to lay this).

All it needs is a permimeter glue across the one side . Its mostly laid on
wooden floor boards. Tiles are stuck firm, hence they have been left. Ifthey
havent come up in 58 years, I doubt they will come up now.

All I need is a glue type and brand.

I am surprised people here are generally quite helpful. I shall put the rude
comments down to your all having had too much beer and party time today.

Thanks in advance for help in naming a glue I can get.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Also is there a skirting board or any kind of cavities where built in
furniture does not quite fit.
Brian

--

Can you suggest a brand of glue?

Prick Stick
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for the reasonable suggestions.I am going out this
morning to get some glue from the DIY.

Have a good Christmas everyone

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or to handle heavy loads...? Like a bridge with goats on maybe?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 15:24, sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

I would not use glue as such. But I would stick it down as needed.

DSST

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/21/2013 12:10 PM, polygonum wrote:
On 21/12/2013 15:24, sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

I would not use glue as such. But I would stick it down as needed.

DSST

Yes, I've used that (double-sided sticky-tape).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 19:56, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/21/2013 12:10 PM, polygonum wrote:
On 21/12/2013 15:24, sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

I would not use glue as such. But I would stick it down as needed.

DSST

Yes, I've used that (double-sided sticky-tape).

Good idea. Pack of 3 rolls from Poundland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:56:14 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
Yes, I've used that (double-sided sticky-tape).

+1

Good idea. Pack of 3 rolls from Poundland

-1. My experience of Poundland sticky tapes is that the sticky isn't very long-lasting.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 19:56, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/21/2013 12:10 PM, polygonum wrote:
On 21/12/2013 15:24, sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

I would not use glue as such. But I would stick it down as needed.

DSST

Yes, I've used that (double-sided sticky-tape).

:-)

I knew someone would understand.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Flooring adhesive, strangely enough. But not the stuff used for wood to
wood. It will take a bit longer to dry on a non porous surface..

http://www.wickes.co.uk/flooring-adh...l/invt/227809/

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
news
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been kitchen
less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to use.

Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and the
floor under that is wooden.

Really the old tiles want to come up and also the ply under it.
A garden spade is a good tool

It's normal to nail down plywood over floorboards before laying the tiles
Stops the joint showing and the floorboards moving
In the dim and distant past I have used Evostick Impact adhesive.on vinyl
tiles.
There may be something better now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 17:50, harryagain wrote:
[...]

Any impact adhesive will do.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ails_container

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any impact adhesive will do.

Probably best if you get the room as hot as possible and close all doors and
windows whilst you're in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 23:27, Ferretygubbins wrote:

Any impact adhesive will do.

Probably best if you get the room as hot as possible and close all doors
and windows whilst you're in there.

OK as long as the glue is water based ;-)
Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2013 23:27, Ferretygubbins wrote:

Any impact adhesive will do.

Probably best if you get the room as hot as possible and close all doors
and windows whilst you're in there.

It'll be cheaper than booze. Not sure what the hangover would be like though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present

I'd quite like one of those for christmas too.

Don't yet know which room I am going to put the kitchen in yet though. The current one has ceramic tiles laid over carpet.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Don't yet know which room I am going to put the kitchen in yet though.
The current one has ceramic tiles laid over carpet.

Glued in place, or loose laid?

Glued in place.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:04:35 PM UTC, wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present

I'd quite like one of those for christmas too.

Don't yet know which room I am going to put the kitchen in yet though. The current one has ceramic tiles laid over carpet.
Owain

Lol, we surely need a piccy for the wiki

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Don't yet know which room I am going to put the kitchen in yet though.
The current one has ceramic tiles laid over carpet.

Lol, we surely need a piccy for the wiki

3 uploaded under User: Owain

I assume it's carpet, and not some form of tile underlay.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
OH is fitting me a new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Its my Christmas
present and I would like it done before Christmas. I have been
kitchen less now since Monday.

He has charged me with finding glue to glue round the edges.

I have looked on the internet but they don't state what exactly to
use.
Cam someone do me a lovely favour and just tell me what sort to get? A
proper trade name would also be useful so I can find it easily.

He is gluing to old vinyl tiles which were on the floor before and
the floor under that is wooden.

Thank you.

Evostick contact adhesive - or you could try one of the thixotrophic ones if
you need time to align things up.

BTW, buy it in 5, 21/2, 1 or 1/2 litre tubs rather than tubes. ;-)

Cash

no glue vinyl Joe Home Repair 13 May 9th 09 11:57 PM
Wood - to - vinyl glue. PVR Home Repair 3 January 18th 07 11:11 PM
Glue for vinyl siding patch ZZonka Tonka Home Repair 5 October 29th 04 01:58 AM
Recommend Vinyl to Vinyl glue? Bob Mariotti Home Repair 1 August 23rd 04 01:41 PM
Vinyl tile over old glue? Andrew Sarangan Home Repair 1 February 5th 04 06:22 PM