Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freesat and freeview through one box?

Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I can't
see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you need
that, btw?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Some of the Linux receivers will allow you to have both types of tuner.
These are generally aimed at the German market and don't have T2 tuners

If you want T2, you could use a Nano USB stick

Whether you regard these as Freesat and Freeview is certainly debatable.
They will certainly receive a picture though.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 16:44 Muddymike wrote:

Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Is www.satcure.com/tech/combiners.htm what you're looking for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:44:36 -0000, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

If you mean satellite and Freeview tuners I put together a box a
couple of months ago around a TBS 6982 satellite tuner card and basic
PC components and am about to add a TBS 6280 Freeview card to it.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 16:44:36 -0000, Muddymike wrote:

Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

As it happens this was mentioned in the CPC flyer that dropped on the
door mat this morning:

AP02526 HD Satellite and Terrestial Receiver
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/684333.xml

AP02501 HD Satellite/Terrestial Combo Receiver
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/680025.xml

Note they are generic recievers so you won't have the Freesat and
Freeview EPGs available.

A quick google on the makers model number showed them to be avialable
from other suppliers, Amazon, Maplin etc. Shopping around for best
price is probably required.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you? That's
not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I can't
see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you need that,
btw?

Panasonic TVs have both built into the TV, no boxes neccessary.
I imagine others do as well.

There are lots of channels not on both freesat and freeview.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not that I've seen, but i think Panasonic have tvs that do both.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you? That's
not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I can't
see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you need that,
btw?

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

I have a box which does both. Made by Vision.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/12/2013 10:07, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I
can't see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you
need that, btw?

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Only one remote. Ah, bliss!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Some of the Linux receivers will allow you to have both types of tuner.
These are generally aimed at the German market and don't have T2 tuners

Could you be more specific, please?
What is an example of such a "Linux receiver"?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 07:54:31 -0000, harryagain wrote:

Panasonic TVs have both built into the TV, no boxes neccessary.

Yep our Panasonic does, it sits on DSAT, better picture quality and
more channels to skip through (not watch they are all in the main
crap).

There are lots of channels not on both freesat and freeview.

That depends on the Freeview service you have. ATM the only channels
I can find on Freeview (just done a "new channel" search) here that
aren't in the Freesat EPG are the soon to be launched BBC HD Freeview
services (BBC Three HD, CBBC HD only, no sign of BBC Four HD or BBC
News HD). The LNB feed to the telly is playing up so I'm not going to
do a new channels scan on that...

All we have on Freeview are 26 TV channels (only 20 or so in reality
when you take out the HD duplicates and a couple of +1's) and 11 BBC
only national radio stations.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 13:03, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Some of the Linux receivers will allow you to have both types of tuner.
These are generally aimed at the German market and don't have T2 tuners

Could you be more specific, please?
What is an example of such a "Linux receiver"?

See www.world-of-satellite.com

I would suggest any of the receivers that Vix runs on.

The advantage of Vix is that there is good UK support.

The Vu+ products are well established. The Gigablue products are cheaper.

You need to be careful about Freeview HD as in the UK you need a Tuner
that does DVB-T2

The PCTV Nano USB stick does DVB-T2 should work with these receivers -
but I have not tried.

I should point out that Linux receivers whilst very flexible, do require
what you might call advanced support. Daily operation is easy enough
though.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 08/12/2013 10:07, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish
and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I
can't see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you
need that, btw?

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Only one remote. Ah, bliss!

I forgot

So it can be used with a TV that only has one "Scart In" connection (if such
things still exist)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/12/2013 20:58, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 08/12/2013 10:07, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the
dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I
can't see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you
need that, btw?

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Only one remote. Ah, bliss!

I forgot

So it can be used with a TV that only has one "Scart In" connection (if
such things still exist)

I use SCART still. The thing is that you can usually daisy-chain SCART
devices. Most have an input as well as an output.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

I have a box which does both. Made by Vision.

Is that the BT Vision box? If not please let me have the model number.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:02, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

Depends what you mean by "combine the signal". It is perfectly possible
to merge the signals from VHF, TV and Satellite onto a single high
quality cable run it to where it is required and then split it off to
three separate outputs.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I can't
see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you need
that, btw?

High end Panasonic sets do it as standard.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 17:02, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

Depends what you mean by "combine the signal". It is perfectly possible to
merge the signals from VHF, TV and Satellite onto a single high quality
cable run it to where it is required and then split it off to three
separate outputs.

What I would like is one box that received both freesat via the dish and
Freeview via the aerial and feed the selected channel via one Scart lead to
the TV.

Why? Because I have a good quality pre digital flat screen TV I want to wall
mount in a guest bedroom with the minimum of cables, and remotes.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish
and Freeview from the aerial?

I have a box which does both. Made by Vision.

Is that the BT Vision box? If not please let me have the model number.

No - came from CPC, and sorry, it is badged MVision. A quick look shows
they no longer do it. It does HD from satellite, but only SD FreeView, and
I'd not recommend it for anyone wanting a simple answer. Operating it is a
bit clunky with poor EPGs too.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 08/12/2013 20:58, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 08/12/2013 10:07, tim...... wrote:

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/12/2013 16:44, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the
dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

When you say 'combines', you don't mean combine the signal, do you?
That's not possible for various reasons, eg time delays in broadcasts.

If you mean that you want the two receivers combined in one box, I
can't see much demand for that, so I doubt it's available. Why do you
need that, btw?

only one box under the TV

and perhaps more importantly:

only one remote

tim

Only one remote. Ah, bliss!

I forgot

So it can be used with a TV that only has one "Scart In" connection (if
such things still exist)

I use SCART still.

so do I

meant TV's with only one input (most have two)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 December 2013 16:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes it does Mike but like you have stated you need normal Ariel and Freesat dish, I have the Humax HDR-1100S 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder, I have Freeview on HDMI 12 and Freesat on HDMI 13 Its depends according to what televesion you have what port you use, I swop from one to the other with Television remote the use Freesat box remote to watch what you want..Also Mike make sure the box has Wifi, If Internet connection is other side of the room from television like mine is, I dont use Ethernet cable as it is to far from where I have internet, So I use my Wifi, Hope this Helps,
Frank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Blimey, 2013 eh. Where do these old posts get dredged up from?
Brian

I blame google groups etc .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 01:28, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 08:43:51 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 15/10/2017 08:20, wrote:
[...]

Question asked 4 years ago
PVR boxes that can receive both Freesat and Freesat broadcasts do exist.

Wasn't aware of any.

I have an Arriva which is described as Freesat and Freeview, but like
most of the Freesat/ Freeview equipment advertised, it isn't.

If there is such a device that does not involve jiggery pokery
downloading EPG's I would be very interested

The route I went down was to slap a HDHomeRun tuner on the network:

https://www.silicondust.com/

Then let Plex manage it. You add recording events to the program guide,
and it uses tuners on the network to capture to disk. You can then
playback on any network connected device (even away from the home if you
have the bandwidth to support it and setup Plex to allow it)

The recordings are saved in .ts files, with no DRM, encryption or any
other restrictions - so unliek recordings made by many devices you can
use them anywhere.

(they do DVB-T2 and DVB-S tuners, and you can add as many boxes as you
want to allow more concurrent viewings or recordings (I have not
bothered with a DVB-S tuner yet)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/10/2017 08:20, wrote:
[...]

Regards

AB

There is a combined Freesat/Freeview box on Ebay.

Dish and Antenna in, HDMI and (I think) Scart out.

About £40 from memory.

You can plug a USB stick in to record.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 05:58:29 +0530, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Question asked 4 years ago
PVR boxes that can receive both Freesat and Freesat broadcasts do exist.

Wasn't aware of any.

I have an Arriva which is described as Freesat and Freeview, but like
most of the Freesat/ Freeview equipment advertised, it isn't.

If there is such a device that does not involve jiggery pokery
downloading EPG's I would be very interested

On
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers
some of the receivers can be fitted with a choice of satellite and
terrestrial tuners; the latter are Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 01:28, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Question asked 4 years ago
PVR boxes that can receive both Freesat and Freesat broadcasts do exist.

Wasn't aware of any.

Enigma 2 boxes from various manufactures are advertised as Free to Air
boxes but run an image (software) such as OpenVix on them and you can
receive all the Freeview and Freesat channels with the 7 day EPG being
populated over the air. These boxes are not branded Freeview or Freesat.

They don't do interactive services (red button) or catch up TV.
Red button channel broadcasts, with the associated EPG, can be viewed
and recorded if treated as just another TV channel. Some users use third
party plug-ins to get catch up TV but probably its best to assume that
this doesn't work as well as plugging in to your TV something like an
Amazon Fire stick.

I have an Enigma 2 box with 2 terrestrial tuners and 2 satellite tuners
for viewing/recording HD and SD Freeview and Freesat channels. The boxes
can record 8+ channels simultaneously - as long as they are all on the
same MUX or transponders that the tuners are tuned into.

There is a learning curve with these boxes so possibly not for those who
want to work the way they want out-of-the-box. Do some research first.
The user forum is http://www.world-of-satellite.com/index.php

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...ital-receivers

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g.../video-guides/

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/openvix-features-2/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2017 09:36, alan_m wrote:

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/g.../video-guides/

One of the guides shows the EPG being populated from the Internet. This
feature is user configurable and on my box it is disabled as I get the 7
day EPG over-the-air for both UK Freview and UK Freesat channels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2017 08:20, wrote:
[...]

Some are a sort of kit of parts, and you can specify which two tuners you
want on ordering. And also if you want it to record.

I must say that I don't see these items in the consumer space

They appear to be very much "enthusiast" products

Which is a shame, because the one size fits all solutions in the consumer
space are not always suitable

tim

--
*I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Question asked 4 years ago
PVR boxes that can receive both Freesat and Freesat broadcasts do exist.

Some are a sort of kit of parts, and you can specify which two tuners you
want on ordering. And also if you want it to record.

Some of the Enigma 2 boxes can have up to 4 plug in tuner modules and
some of the modules are multiple tuners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Some are a sort of kit of parts, and you can specify which two tuners you
want on ordering. And also if you want it to record.

I must say that I don't see these items in the consumer space

They appear to be very much "enthusiast" products

Which is a shame, because the one size fits all solutions in the consumer
space are not always suitable

Mine came mail order from Satellite World - after asking on here. All you
more or less do is tick the boxes for the facilities you want when you
order online, and they do it for you. Doubt that would work in Currys,
though. ;-)

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2017 08:43, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2017 08:20, wrote:
On Saturday, 7 December 2013 16:44:36 UTC, MuddymikeÂ* wrote:
Does such a thing exist as a box that combines freesat from the dish and
Freeview from the aerial?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Yes it does Mike but like you have stated you need normal Ariel
and Freesat dish, I have the Humax HDR-1100S 500GB Freesat HD Digital
TV Recorder,Â* I have Freeview on HDMI 12 and Freesat on HDMI 13 Its
depends according to what televesion you have what port you use, I
swop from one to the other with Television remote the use Freesat box
remote to watch what you want..Also Mike make sure the box has Wifi,
If Internet connection is other side of the room from television like
mine is, I dont use Ethernet cable as it is to far from where I have
internet, So I use my Wifi, Hope this Helps,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Frank...

Question asked 4 years ago
PVR boxes that can receive both Freesat and Freesat broadcasts do exist.

I used to have a HTPC that used a Blackgold pci card that had two
satellite tuners and 2 freeview tuners. The HTPC acted as a streaming
server for all the other screens in my house, via my LAN.

The pci card broke (not a recommended company) so I replaced it with a
cheaper 2 satellite tuner card.

I don't watch much broadcast TV now. I can't see the point of
terrestrial and satellite any more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Some are a sort of kit of parts, and you can specify which two tuners
you
want on ordering. And also if you want it to record.

I must say that I don't see these items in the consumer space

They appear to be very much "enthusiast" products

Which is a shame, because the one size fits all solutions in the consumer
space are not always suitable

Mine came mail order from Satellite World

would that be:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/

Freesat aerial Steve Firth UK diy 82 September 7th 13 10:23 AM
How to combine freesat & freeview distribution? [email protected] UK diy 29 May 20th 12 11:41 AM
Freesat Box ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 21 December 24th 09 10:11 PM
Repairing a Freeview box (was Freeview STBs and TiVo) Tim Downie UK diy 51 September 17th 09 04:30 PM
Freesat and PVR installing? Janet Tweedy UK diy 30 March 5th 09 07:25 AM