Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wrong 12V plug on PSU for computer monitor?

I have a flatscreen monitor whose (separate) PSU has died and needs
replacing. It's a 12V 3A unit, and as luck would have it I happen to have
a similar one going spare from a netbook which I no longer have.

Q1: is there any reason why this putative PSU wouldn't be fit for purpose -
ie is there any other characteristic other than 12V/3A that I need to
consider here?

Q2: Assuming we've made it past Q1 - unfortunately the (LV) plug which
connects to the monitor is slightly but crucially differently sized to the
original, so it won't fit - both are standard-looking concentric plugs (ie
this sort of thing: http://tinyurl.com/mx35688) but the central pin is
evidently larger on the monitor than it was on my netbook (though the
external diameter looks the same). What are the specs for these things -
how do I work out what plug I need to buy? I'm assuming it's possible to
buy a solderable version; otherwise everything I have here is welded
together - is there a neat way of cutting and rejoining the LV flex so I
could recycle what I have? (I wouldn't want to bodge it as I'll probably
pass this monitor on to someone else once it's repaired...)

Thanks for any thoughts
--
David