Wdyorchid

Default Compaq Computer dead -install HD wrong way

My computer stops loading the operating system and will not boot because I'd
decided to install my hard drive's power supply in reverse polarity. The hard
drive is fried. But I'd like to find an alternative way to boot my computer
with a fresh hard drive. You're wondering how in the world can I reverse
polarity on my Maxtor 20G. Easy, the tab that's supposed to prevent reverse
polarity broke off. Fumbling in the dark, it's an accident waiting to happen.
Price of Computer $1,200 Compaq Presario 2256. HD Maxtor $100. Monitor not
included. I'd assume people don't diagnose motherboards, do they just replace
the board? What's an alternative way to boot unless it can be fixed?
-Wd

Steve Reinis

Are you talking the IDE ribbon cable, or the four wire power lead? The four
wire power lead is trapezoid shaped and doesn't have a "tab" to break off.
It would take a LOT of forcing to get it to fit reversed. But the IDE
ribbon cable does have a simple "tab" to "key" it so it fits only one way.

-Steve

Wdyorchid wrote in message
[...]

DaveW

If at first you don't succeed.......
Get a bigger hammer.

I know a few people that have managed to get the power connector on in
reverse.

Wdyorchid wrote in message
[...]

Wdyorchid

I'm talking about the four wires with trapezoid lead. The tab that broke off is
on the hard drive. Correct me; the tab is nothing but the base of the
trapezoid. Assuming a trapezoid without a base would eventually allow the lead
to go in any direction. The male prong inside the trapezoid on the hard drive
is flexible and will bend slightly to become devilish.

After putting it back to it's correct power voltage (before it had been 12V
into 5V and 5V into 12V) I'd notice the hard drive acted strange as the data
pickup arm jerk back and forth like a tail of a fish out of water. I'm still
wondering what would happen if I had instead reverse the ribbon cable instead
of the power cable.
-Wd

Wdyorchid wrote in message
[...]

Sam Goldwasser

"DaveW" writes:

If at first you don't succeed.......
Get a bigger hammer.

I know a few people that have managed to get the power connector on in
reverse.

And one where a Y adapter from a major parts supplier was wired backwards.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Asimov

"techforce" bravely wrote to "All" (19 Aug 03 15:52:07)
--- on the topic of " Compaq Computer dead -install HD wrong way"

The hd circuit did not get a reverse polarity but rather 12 volts on the
5 volt logic circuit supply. Think about it, the plug is symetrical.
Ordinarily the supply filter caps "if large" should have absorbed the
overload and held down the 12 volts.

If the overload was brief then perhaps a prolonged rest to allow
junctions to discharge internally may be all that's needed to restore
operation. I've seen this "let rest then it works" behaviour before.

OTOH if power was applied for a long time then some logic IC or line
driver got very hot and turned to toasty carbon letting the smoke out.

Reversed power plug happened to me once with a wd drive. The line driver
IC was visibly puffy, cracked, and fried. Took one from a defunct wd and
the drive worked perfectly! In hindsight I guess it bravely sacrified
itself to save the mctlr... snif!

te From: "techforce"

te If you reversed the IDE cable, the PC would not power up more than
te likely , until you corrected the problem. Some older PC's would power
te Up, but would not see the drive.

te As for the Reversed Polarity, more than likely one of the SMD Chips
te Fried when it was applied. I have seen other items designed with a
te Diode accross the Power pins to soak up the power. But I guess the
te amount of current it drew was still within the safe limits of the
te output of the main PS, otherwise the PS would have tripped off and
te saved the drive.

te "Wdyorchid" wrote in message
te ...
I'm talking about the four wires with trapezoid lead. The tab that broke

te off is
on the hard drive. Correct me; the tab is nothing but the base of the
trapezoid. Assuming a trapezoid without a base would eventually allow the

lead
to go in any direction. The male prong inside the trapezoid on the hard

te drive
is flexible and will bend slightly to become devilish.

After putting it back to it's correct power voltage (before it had been

12V
into 5V and 5V into 12V) I'd notice the hard drive acted strange as the

data
pickup arm jerk back and forth like a tail of a fish out of water. I'm

te still
wondering what would happen if I had instead reverse the ribbon cable

te instead
of the power cable.
-Wd

Wdyorchid wrote in message
My computer stops loading the operating system and will not boot

te because
I'd
decided to install my hard drive's power supply in reverse polarity.

The
hard
drive is fried. But I'd like to find an alternative way to boot my

computer
with a fresh hard drive. You're wondering how in the world can I

te reverse
polarity on my Maxtor 20G. Easy, the tab that's supposed to prevent

reverse
polarity broke off. Fumbling in the dark, it's an accident waiting to

happen.
Price of Computer $1,200 Compaq Presario 2256. HD Maxtor $100. Monitor

not
included. I'd assume people don't diagnose motherboards, do they just

replace
the board? What's an alternative way to boot unless it can be fixed?
-Wd

.... The current limits placed are based on resistance

Wdyorchid

Yes I will do your advice and a few by the others.The compaq hard drive that
came with the computer had also fried months earlier when I'd a tiny speckle of
lead from my solder gun flew directly onto the hard drive circuit board. I'm
jst an unlucky person. Correction to my first post: the hard darive wasn't
connected in reverse polarity, instead the power supply was reversed.
-wd

I see what you are talking about now, but I don't think I would classify it
as a tab. It's more like a female recepticle. But I do understand that if
it's somehow broken or missing, you are then left with four prongs in a row
that can easily mate with the wrong/backwards connector.

In any case...

Reversing the ribbon cable isn't such a terrible thing. In many cases, the
BIOS will stall at the IDE auto-detect stage, but no harm is done to
computer or the hard drive. Many computers sometimes fail to even POST with
a reversed IDE cable, but again, ho harm done.

If you have data on the hard drive you MUST get back, first of all, stop
powering it up and allowing the arm to slam around in there. Then, find
yourself another identical drive and swap out the pack of electronics on the
underside of the drive. If no severe damage has been done to the platters
and the only thing that fried were the external electronics, you should be
up and running again and able to retrieve data. Of course, I'd salvage the
data and then trash the drive. I would never count on it being reliable
again...

-Steve