Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default staged payments

What's the usual schedule on a sub-10k job?

The builder has just dropped a schedule on us, and I'm not happy with
it. It was not agreed in advance.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 21:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
What's the usual schedule on a sub-10k job?

The builder has just dropped a schedule on us, and I'm not happy with
it. It was not agreed in advance.

Andy

You need to have some form of contract written done in place, with when
payments will be made. I done mine myself, and made sure I had never
paid more than the work done at the time was worth.

Payment when foundations poured.
Payment when Timber kit completed.
Payment when blockwork completed.
Payment when First fix completed.
Payment when roof tiled.
Payment when Windows Installed.

I never paid anything upfront. If the builder doesn't have the cashflow
to buy materials first, look elsewhere.

--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
yendor writes:
On 26/11/2013 21:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
What's the usual schedule on a sub-10k job?

The builder has just dropped a schedule on us, and I'm not happy with
it. It was not agreed in advance.

Andy

You need to have some form of contract written done in place, with when
payments will be made. I done mine myself, and made sure I had never
paid more than the work done at the time was worth.

Payment when foundations poured.
Payment when Timber kit completed.
Payment when blockwork completed.
Payment when First fix completed.
Payment when roof tiled.
Payment when Windows Installed.

For those items requiring BCO inspection (such as foundations),
it should be after approval, not after completion, and you
should hook a payment to each of these inspections.

My parents paid an architect to draw up the contract stating when
partial payments were due and to approve the partial payments for
other stages. It you're not using an architect, you could use a
building surveyor for this. But this was for something over 40k.

The last 10% was due 6 months after completion, to allow for
snagging fixes.

I never paid anything upfront. If the builder doesn't have the cashflow
to buy materials first, look elsewhere.

Builder should be able to buy on 30 days credit anyway, or they
don't have any credibility with their suppliers either.

Builder was perfectly happy with this, and probably used to it as
he was one of several the architect recommended.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:27:55 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

What's the usual schedule on a sub-10k job?

The builder has just dropped a schedule on us, and I'm not happy with
it. It was not agreed in advance.

If you don't have a written contract you need one quickly. The
standard one would be the Joint Contracts Tribunal "Building Contract
for a home owner/occupier who has not appointed a consultant to
oversee the work" You can find a copy at
http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/download/...wnerocc upier

The payment schedule is whatever you and the builder decide but should
be tied to measurable milestones such as foundations installed and
inspected. The builder should be familiar with the JCT contract.
Normally 5% of the contract value should be withheld at the end for a
period of three months to ensure any small defects discovered after
work is complete are remedied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The payment schedule is whatever you and the builder decide but should
be tied to measurable milestones such as foundations installed and
inspected. The builder should be familiar with the JCT contract.
Normally 5% of the contract value should be withheld at the end for a
period of three months to ensure any small defects discovered after
work is complete are remedied.

And do psych yourself up for the invariable disputes that will happen,
not known a project to go "just so" yet;!...

If you are unhappy with something raise the issue there and then, don't
wait for it to become a bigger one..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"yendor" wrote in message
On 26/11/2013 21:27, Vir Campestris wrote:
What's the usual schedule on a sub-10k job?

The builder has just dropped a schedule on us, and I'm not happy with
it. It was not agreed in advance.

Andy

You need to have some form of contract written done in place, with when
payments will be made. I done mine myself, and made sure I had never paid
more than the work done at the time was worth.

Payment when foundations poured.
Payment when Timber kit completed.
Payment when blockwork completed.
Payment when First fix completed.
Payment when roof tiled.
Payment when Windows Installed.

six tranches for a 10K job sounds like three too many to me

tim